Ingres2006, open source RDMS, has been released

Discussions

News: Ingres2006, open source RDMS, has been released

1. Ingres2006, open source RDMS, has been released (6 messages)

Ingres Corporation has released Ingres 2006, a new release of the RDBMS.

Ingres r3 was released as open source under the very liberal and OSI approved CA Trusted Open Source license in 2004. Now Ingres Corporation has moved to a dual commercial/GPL licensing model a la MySQL.

Ingres 2006 claims to be the most secure open source database, and have "the fastest query optimization in open source," with parallel query support that allows complex queries to be executed in parallel. It also has clustering capabilities and improved performance, as well as a web deployment option that uses custom HTTP tags to add Ingres 2006-specific capabilities to web pages (rough analogs to, say the JSTL tags as well as other JSP capabilities.)

Threaded Messages (6)

2. Confused[ Go to top ]

I thought that the Ingres code base was already opensoursed by CA? Is this a different fork of the code base that is now open under a different license?
  3. Confused[ Go to top ]

I thought that the Ingres code base was already opensoursed by CA? Is this a different fork of the code base that is now open under a different license?
    CA spun Ingres off late last year. At the time they announced that they were going to follow a MySQL like model. I believe this is their first release since then.
  4. The best way to fail[ Go to top ]

Changing ur way too often is the best way to fail as u will never have any credibility and ur customer will think that they cannot predict ur path
    especially in the license model, this is very critical as it play in the ground of limited money resources ,and who know ,if they change it today to make me pay a pennie,may be tomorrow (after i have a big commercial deploymynt) they charge me a billion
    No , i'll never trust this company
  5. GPL and J2EE/JDBC[ Go to top ]

A question about GPL. Should I write an application that relies on a JDBC datasource, would it be GPLed just because some of my customers deploy the application to a J2EE server that maps that datasource to a connection pool towards a GPL licensed RDBMS like MySQL or Ingres?
  6. GPL and J2EE/JDBC[ Go to top ]

No, you do not distribute the datebase and the JDBC interface is not GPL. It would be another issue if you ship the database in a bundle with the software.
  7. Postgres and Ingres similarities[ Go to top ]

What is the relationship between the two code bases...I seem to recall that they share a common ancestor code base. If so then how have they diverged over time?