Discussions

Performance and scalability: How much configuration is too much???

1. How much configuration is too much??? (2 messages)

Well, there is a project that I am working on and the team wants to make just everything configurable, and there were more than a dozen xml configuration files on the client-side and similarly on the server-side. I just want input or rather different view points about this i.e. how much configurable is too much? As far as I know internationalization requires this, but putting everything in xml I don’t exactly know about that. So please share your ideas.
  2. Well, there is a project that I am working on and the team wants to make just everything configurable, and there were more than a dozen xml configuration files on the client-side and similarly on the server-side. I just want input or rather different view points about this i.e. how much configurable is too much? As far as I know internationalization requires this, but putting everything in xml I don’t exactly know about that. So please share your ideas.

Hi,

Too much configuration files means, it depends on the scalability and complexity of the application. But ,i would prefer to use them as less as possible. it is possible by avoiding redundancy of xml files. or by using inheritance at the xml documents level. That means duplication can be avoided if needs. the only thing... it may bcome a bit more complex. But it would provide you an excellent scalability in your application.

--Ravi.
  3. There is no absolute answer for how much is too much. I think to compare with traditional method without configuration will make sense. Without configuration,you may use code to do same thing. If you feel you must do more things with configuration than without configuration,maybe the configuration is "too much",otherwise is not.