Discussions

General J2EE: Threads in an J2EE Application

1. Threads in an J2EE Application (2 messages)

Hi,

Can you create and run threads from within your webcontainer in WebSphere 6? We have just been to a presentation and we have been told that new thread creation has been prohibited.

I know that thread creation in containers is not good because of management etc but I did not realise it would be stopped in WAS6.

We are planning to migrate from 4 to 6 and we have found that a number of apps use threads!! This could be a big problem if it is true.....

Thanks in advance

Andy

Threaded Messages (2)

2. Threads in an J2EE Application[ Go to top ]

Hi Andrew,

You should check out the WorkManager JSR (236/237). If you are interested in a clustered WorkManager implementation you should check out Coherence.

Later,
    Rob Misek
    Tangosol, Inc.
    Coherence: The Enterprise Data Grid
  3. Threads in an J2EE Application[ Go to top ]

WebSphere App Server strongly discourages you from creating threads. I don't believe that the web container will prohibit you from doing this, but it is currently unsupported....

From the Servlet 2.3 spec section SRV.9.11:
    "Such servlet containers should support this behavior when performed on threads created by the developer, but are not currently required to do so. Such a requirement will be added in the next version of this specification. Developers are cautioned that depending on this capability for application-created threads is nonportable."

Luckily, WAS gives you two mechanisms to do this safely; Asynchronous Beans and the Commonj WorkManager...

Here's a link:
    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/wasinfo/v6r0/topic/com.ibm.websphere.base.doc/info/aes/ae/welc6tech_asb.html

-- Chris