All I want is a cheap Enterprise Application Server That Works!

Discussions

General J2EE: All I want is a cheap Enterprise Application Server That Works!

1. All I want is a cheap Enterprise Application Server That Works!

Required features:

* Web Application Session Fail-Over (replicated sessions)
    * JTA with XA (2PC) support that actually works (including tx recovery)
    * Less than $5k / machine for licensing

I don't need EJB, web services, etc. etc. It doesn't have to be a commercial AS.

I just need rock solid support for high volume web transactions involving multiple data sources.

As far as I can tell, my options are: none! (WebLogic, Websphere, Oracle AS - all too expensive. JBoss - XA doesn't work reliably. JOnAS (JOTM) - xa recovery lacking. Geronimo - no clustering, uses JOTM, so same XA issues)

Any suggestions based on real world experience?
  2. what are you talking about?

JBoss doesn't work??? JBoss has thousands of successfully projects in the world if it didnt work it would have gone away by now...

if you don't want to hassle with EJBs,etc.. use Spring it is lightweight and u can use JTA transactions(multiple datasources in a Tx)..it works im using it now in a production system..
  3. what are you talking about?JBoss doesn't work??? JBoss has thousands of successfully projects in the world if it didnt work it would have gone away by now...if you don't want to hassle with EJBs,etc.. use Spring it is lightweight and u can use JTA transactions(multiple datasources in a Tx)..it works im using it now in a production system..

JBoss XA transactions don't work (well, they work only as long as none of the involved resources have a failure). That's why they went to the trouble of purchasing Arjuna's technology, but that still isn't integrated into a released version of JBoss.
  4. i stand corrected :)...

have u looked at spring JTA? i have 2 datasources globaly wrapped using our applications container JTA, ..if an error(exception is thrown) happends in any, the transaction is rolled back....
  5. Yes... Spring has the same problem... it is only "faking" XA transactions, which works fine as long as none of the participating resources has an issue.

To be more exact, Spring's transaction framework is depending on an external TM to manage the XA transactions.

And unless you're using an app server with a reliable TM (e.g. weblogic, websphere), then the TM you are using under Spring is only faking it, so you have the same issues. (By faking it, I mean: some of them truly fake 2PC, other do 2PC commit/rollback, but can't do tx recovery).

The fundamental question here is: Is there a cheap Transaction Manager that fully implements XA, including recovery?

JOTM is getting close, but still lacks as far as I can tell. JBoss Transaction Service will hopefully be there before too many months are out (since they acquired Arjuna) - but that doesn't help me know.

Atomikos' product "transactionJTA" costs $3k/cpu (too much for my needs, as we have 4-cpu servers) - and according to its forums and bug lists, I'm a bit worried about using it anyway.

Are there any real options that I have missed?
  6. There isn't any as far as I can tell. Moreover, even expensive ones are known to have problems with XA implementation (especially when XAResources from multiple vendors are involved).
  7. Yes... Spring has the same problem... it is only "faking" XA transactions, which works fine as long as none of the participating resources has an issue.To be more exact, Spring's transaction framework is depending on an external TM to manage the XA transactions. And unless you're using an app server with a reliable TM (e.g. weblogic, websphere), then the TM you are using under Spring is only faking it, so you have the same issues. (By faking it, I mean: some of them truly fake 2PC, other do 2PC commit/rollback, but can't do tx recovery).The fundamental question here is: Is there a cheap Transaction Manager that fully implements XA, including recovery? JOTM is getting close, but still lacks as far as I can tell. JBoss Transaction Service will hopefully be there before too many months are out (since they acquired Arjuna) - but that doesn't help me know.Atomikos' product "transactionJTA" costs $3k/cpu (too much for my needs, as we have 4-cpu servers) - and according to its forums and bug lists, I'm a bit worried about using it anyway.Are there any real options that I have missed?

well we are using weblogic..and spring uses the JTA that is in weblogic.... Honestly if the transactions are that important like our application, your company should pay for it.