Discussions

EJB design: Inserting UTF-8 into Oracle

1. Inserting UTF-8 into Oracle (3 messages)

Hi
    I would like to insert UTF-8 character set data in Oracle 9i but Oracle is not taking data as it should appear in UTF-8. What should be done here?
    Do I need to change the settings in Oracle?
  2. Inserting UTF-8 into Oracle[ Go to top ]

Couple of things you need to make sure -

1. Make sure your oracle database is configured for UTF-8 charset.
    2. Make sure you are entering correct data in UTF-8 format.
    3. Take out the data and check if its returning what you entered. This is because I am not sure if command line sql or some client will show the data in utf-8 format correctly.
  3. How sure are u that the data which u r trying to insert into DB is an UTF-8 one?
    Also do check if the data which u r trying to insert into the DB is in a String DataType, make sure that you have not used something like the one mentioned below :

String dataToBeInserted = new String(dataInByteArray);
    where dataInByteArray is a byte array representing the data which is to be inserted. If it is so then there is a sure case where the data will be transformed into the default character set of the OS on which the application is running. so, when u handle the data in the form of Bytes make sure that u mention the encoding/characterset when u construct a String out of the data.

If possible do paste the way in which u r trying to insert the data in the Oracle DB.

--Abhishek
  4. You might find this URL beneficial:

Character Conversions from Browser to Database
    http://java.sun.com/developer/technicalArticles/Intl/HTTPCharset/

Some challenges and resolutions...

Venkatt