Discussions

News: Marc Fleury: "Smoking guns of Nature: AO theory of evolution"

1. Marc Fleury, in "Smoking guns of Nature: AO theory of evolution," has posted an intriguing article equating some biological processes with aspect-oriented programming. While the actual tie-in to programming might be slightly vague, the examples of "aspects" (or aspect-like behaviour) in nature might be very useful for explanatory purposes.

The Scientific American article he refers to is "An Antibiotic Resistance Fighter;" the Nature article he refers to requires registration, sadly. Should you have a subscription, however, the article has the title "Proteorhodopsin lateral gene transfer between marine planktonic Bacteria and Archaea."

Threaded Messages (14)

2. Hmm, I'm not sure using VIRUS analogies as a good way to get people friendly to AO in the software space. :)

Pretty interesting read though.
  3. Marc Fleury, in "Smoking guns of Nature: AO theory of evolution," has posted an intriguing article equating some biological processes with aspect-oriented programming.

The problem is that it isn't like AO at all. The DNA exchanged does not weave around anything and does not patch anything. It is far more like simply adding new classes to a library. In fact, as there is no 'inheritance' (in is not transfer from a 'parent' organism), then it isn't even OOP! In fact, DNA is horribly old fashioned....
  4. AOP is pure software concept, no need to twist biological processes to make AOP natural.
  5. It's just a joke...[ Go to top ]

Guys, relax, it's just an early April Fools joke. I mean, you don't think he'd write that kind of low-calorie wordsaladery if it was serious, do you?

But I do think he's on to something with the mice thing. He's just not thinking big enough. What if we, like, nuke some country and see who survives. Then we simply splice the DNA and take out the "anti-nukelar" gene and patch it into ourselves. Then do the same thing with Ebola and avian flu. Rinse and repeat until you have become an übermensch. Sort of. Wouldn't be many people left on the planet after a couple of iterations, but whatchagonnado... those genes would probably be worth a buck or two, so..
  6. Consider this[ Go to top ]

Rickard, such ideas are repulsive and attractive at the same time. They seem to appeal to compassion because they seem to point to an end to human suffering (by making us all supermen). But that end would be achieved through an amoral process that destroys exactly that which it purports to value: human life. It's nothing if not self-defeating and punishing to both subject and experimenter. And whoever initiated the process and originated the idea would never survive long enough to see the supposed benefits. Sometimes accepting the inevitability of suffering is just easier. :-)
  7. Consider this[ Go to top ]

Rickard, such ideas are repulsive and attractive at the same time. They seem to appeal to compassion because they seem to point to an end to human suffering (by making us all supermen). But that end would be achieved through an amoral process that destroys exactly that which it purports to value: human life. It's nothing if not self-defeating and punishing to both subject and experimenter. And whoever initiated the process and originated the idea would never survive long enough to see the supposed benefits. Sometimes accepting the inevitability of suffering is just easier. :-)

Yeah, so start using JSF. :-)
  8. Consider this[ Go to top ]

Yeah, so start using JSF. :-)

LOL

Best. Post. Ever.
  9. Or consider this[ Go to top ]

Scott, they seem to appeal to psychopathy because they seem to point to an end to human suffering (by making us all dead).
  10. It's just a joke...[ Go to top ]

Guys, relax, it's just an early April Fools joke.

Hey! How many other opportunities am I ever likely to have to show off the benefits of my Biochemistry B.Sc. degree on a site like this?
    But I do think he's on to something with the mice thing. He's just not thinking big enough. What if we, like, nuke some country and see who survives. Then we simply splice the DNA and take out the "anti-nukelar" gene and patch it into ourselves. Then do the same thing with Ebola and avian flu. Rinse and repeat until you have become an übermensch. Sort of. Wouldn't be many people left on the planet after a couple of iterations, but whatchagonnado... those genes would probably be worth a buck or two, so..

The problem is that there are are already creatures far more capable of surving that sort of scenario - cockroaches.

Which goes to prove that if you attempt to implement AO using poor techniques, you end up with a lot of bugs.....
  11. It's just a joke...[ Go to top ]

Guys, relax, it's just an early April Fools joke.
    Hey! How many other opportunities am I ever likely to have to show off the benefits of my Biochemistry B.Sc. degree on a site like this?
    The problem is that there are are already creatures far more capable of surving that sort of scenario - cockroaches.Which goes to prove that if you attempt to implement AO using poor techniques, you end up with a lot of bugs.....

I wonder if they knew, in the last century, that the invention of AOP would ultimately lead to the end of human suffering and life plus the survival of the fittest cockroach. I'd say it's about time to go back in time and do the best we can to make Gregor Kiczales become a bakerman instead of a computer dude. Imagine what kind of muffins he would create ...:)
  12. Is this the most newsworthy you can manage TSS ?
    Clearly got something lacking in your lives if you think this is remotely Java|Server|Enterprise related.
  13. The great news ...[ Go to top ]

The great news actually is that bacteria have a aop compiler. That means they need time to translate the cross cutting concerns into something useful.

And THIS is the point were human doctors can intrude with their new antibotica. They have to simply find a way to interrupt the chain of "compile" hormones thus preventing any bacteria from becoming resistent.

After all a nice idea. But Marc Fleury could argue with GOD as well. The biggest cross cutting concern as far as I understand :-)

Anyway, even that i'm actually typing THIS text is to be seen as a cross cutting concern for every text box the focus is currently set on my computer.

Isn't this great? And this even works without anybody knowing what AOP actually is. Remember this :-)
  14. Marc, what are you smoking?[ Go to top ]

I could sure use some of whatever it is...
  15. French vs German?[ Go to top ]

Just compare the fuzzy expansive Fleury vs precise Vogels :) Hmm...