Discussions

News: Can AJAX help portlets?

1. Can AJAX help portlets? (4 messages)

One of the common questions for Portlets addresses the ability of portlets to show other content types, such as Word documents, Excel spreadsheets, or PDF content. The answer tends to be "no," because showing different content types means changing the content type for the entire page.

Zimbra, however, offers a mechanism to allow display and editing capabilities for other content types, in AJAX Linking and Embedding ALE. ALE is described as follows:
    AJAX Linking and Embedding (ALE) provides the ability to embed rich content into an editable document and to then interact with and edit that content in much the same way as it is done with traditional office suites and applications in a desktop environment. A key difference is that instead of embedding objects that are backed by installed desktop applications (e.g. a spreadsheet or drawing application), within the ALE world the embedded objects are AJAX components that are embedded into an editable HTML document. These components adhere to a set of design patterns specified by the ALE specification. So, for example, if a user is editing some content such as a personal note or an email message, then she would be able to directly embed an AJAX spreadsheet into the note or email body and interact with the spreadsheet while remaining in the editing context of the note or email message. As long as the spreadsheet component adheres to the ALE specification it could be fetched across the network, instantiated, and used regardless of the user’s location.
    This might be a great solutoin for multiple content types on a portal page. What do you think?

Threaded Messages (4)

2. One of the common questions for Portlets addresses the ability of portlets to show other content types, such as Word documents, Excel spreadsheets, or PDF content. The answer tends to be "no," because showing different content types means changing the content type for the entire page.

Maybe old frame/iframe can help you?

Marina
    http://www.servletsuite.com
  3. Yes, IFrame and Frame can give the answer to certain extend and i guess behind the scene ALE might me using the IFrame in some form. But still to integrate ALE to Portal will require a bit of job.

Vikramark
    http://portlets-jsr168.blogspot.com
  4. Can AJAX help portlets?[ Go to top ]

What do you think?

I think displaying different content-types within the confines of a portlet leads to horrible usability issues. Who wants to see an entire PDF, Word, or Excel Doc inside a portlet window?

Assuming we are in bizarro-world and someone actually wants this to happen, it is much simpler (as the first post states) to simply display the document inside an IFrame. Integrating an AJAX lib for such a simple use-case, would be more trouble than its worth.

STAY METAL!
    Roy Russo
    http://jboss.org/jbossBlog/blog/rrusso/
  5. Can AJAX help portlets?[ Go to top ]

I believe, we can't change the response type of the portlet to something else.