Matisse4MyEclipse Now Available for Download

Discussions

News: Matisse4MyEclipse Now Available for Download

1. Matisse4MyEclipse Now Available for Download (19 messages)

The first milestone release (M1) of Matisse4MyEclipse for the Windows platform is now available for immediate installation either through the MyEclipse update site or by downloading the archived update site from the "Development Releases" section of the MyEclipse website. Instructions on installing with either method are available here. A developmental quickstart guide that covers usage is also available here.

Matisse4MyEclipse is the first Swing UI designer to integrate the best features from the Eclipse platform and Sun's Netbeans project to enable the easy creation of Java rich client applications within the MyEclipse environment. Maintaining development transparency, Matisse4MyEclipse offers full control and round trip development between RAD visual design tools and underlying Java Source code. It consists of a form designer with a source mode, an extensible palette of Swing and AWT controls with drag-and-drop placement support, advanced alignment guides and sizing tools as well as property and outline views. For additional details, screen shots, and online demo please view the Matisse4MyEclipse section of the website.

This new feature set is available for trial for all users but please make sure that you already have Eclipse 3.1.2 and MyEclipse 4.1.1 prior to installing Matisse4MyEclipse.

Matisse4MyEclipse on Linux will be available as part of the MyEclipse 5.0 release, for Eclipse 3.2. The first Milestone release for MyEclipse 5.0 should be available mid May. Mac OS/X support is currently contingent on the resolution for Eclipse Bug 67384.

Threaded Messages (19)

2. Oh no![ Go to top ]

What the heck can Sun do now to get people to invest in NetBeans over Eclipse? There has to be some way to destroy that free (evil) framework?
  3. Oh no![ Go to top ]

What the heck can Sun do now to get people to invest in NetBeans over Eclipse? There has to be some way to destroy that free (evil) framework?

I hope you're being sarcastic. Netbeans 5.0 is great, not sure about framework wise, but as a cross-platform RCP. I love Eclipse, feature wise, plugin wise, etc..., but since recently moving to Mac, I can now see why Sun didn't jump on the bandwagon. I've never seen so much incompatibility due to platform issues, as I've seen in the last month.

Feature wise, NB 5 with Enterprise Pack Preview is on par with Eclipse with a bunch of enterprise plugins.

Ilya
  4. It is a lot less painful to move swing based technology into eclipse than try to move technology out of it for sure. SWT IMHO is a problem. I think the advantages it initially enjoyed from technology perspective have evaporated.
  5. Oh no![ Go to top ]

First of all MyEclipse is not free it does not cost a lot but it is an enforced annual fee, and you lose your license once you are out of the contract.
    Secondly there are many things where netbeans is better. Midp, EJB, JSP, J2EE generally.
    Eclipse has the main advantage that it has the way better editing and refactoring capabilities and a lot more plugins (most of them half finished) while netbeans has the better core tech coverage but way less good editing capabilites.
  6. Oh yes![ Go to top ]

Netbeans rocks, I have worked with Eclipse (IBM Websphere Studio) but at least for Web Development Netbeans is ahead of Eclipse. That being said they both lack features I would have expected to be rock solid years ago. I have also used JBuilder, but I reverted back to Netbeans when 3.6 came out, and I haven't looked back much since.

Sun is currently working on some interesting contributions to Netbeans, such as 2-way UML editing (previosly only available via the Sun Studio Enterprise IDE's (NetBeans in other clothes and extra components).
  7. Oh yes![ Go to top ]

Note: I am not talking about MyEclipse since it's not part of the Eclipse platform.
  8. AR![ Go to top ]

AR! As if frameworks weren't enough for you landlubbers to debate, now we have to rehash IDE's and rich clients of all things. Stop right now or I'm going to switch to my .NET environment and actually build something with it! Seriously though, what an utter waste of time. Eclipse RCP already has a bigger following and I hate to break it to the Matisse scaliwags but it t'ain't due to the fact that its on Eclipse. Personally, I think RCP will be around when the rest are lying in Davy Jone's locker. Regardless, just pick one and get the job done. They'll all be around far longer than any of us would wish. A good programmer is not just a man with a tool but a pirate taking what he needs to get the job done. /AR!
  9. IDEs[ Go to top ]

Use edlin! Never saw a reason to switch.

Just put all your code in line, who needs no stinkin polymorphism any how?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edlin
  10. Kill The Wabbit[ Go to top ]

Kill the wabbit, kill the wabbit, kill the wabbit!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/17/Elmerfudd2.jpg
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=xx-elmer&q=Eclipse+IDE+Sucks&btnG=Google+Seawch
  11. Snatch[ Go to top ]

Nothing more to say
  12. I'm not really if I understand why I would want to have a tool for building swing applications in a product that is completely focussed on doing (Java EE) web development.

Could Matisse4MyEclipse be a possible base for a future JSF UI designer? Now -that- would make sense to have in MyEclipse.
  13. I'm not really if I understand why I would want to have a tool for building swing applications in a product that is completely focussed on doing (Java EE) web development.

Take a closer look at MyEclipse Enterprise Workbench and you'll see that in addition to RAD J2EE web development tools the MyEclipse feature-sets includes: database dev tools (Oracle,SqlServer,MySql,DB2,Derby...), integrated Spring + Hibernate tools with code-gen, now Matisse support for Swing RCP development, UML modeling and round-trip development, straight AJAX and JavaScript editing and debugging tools, Image editing and processing, ....

A new visual web design feature-set is in the works for the upcoming MyEclipse 5.0 release but it will not be based on Matisse but rather the MyEclipse Web 2.0 Tools Platform.
  14. MyEclipse == The Kitchen Sink :)
  15. Use NetBeans More And More[ Go to top ]

When I got back to the Java world (from C#), I invested some time for chossing different IDEs, ASs, etc. Eventually, for IDE, only Eclipse and NetBeans are left in my computers.

Eclipse seems more popular and more flexible and more heat today (partly due to marketing, you can't deny). But as I use and expereince more everyday. I really find Eclipse isn't as consistent and easier to use than NetBeans. For a simple example, when I developed J2EE project, needed to jump around different "perspectives," while at NetBeans all things were quite plain simple and again, "consistent."

I found that I use NetBeans more and more each day, though I didn't throw away or ignore Eclipse. Eclipse is strong in Open Source side and big companies keep pusing it. Thus, as developer I cannot ignore it.
  16. Use NetBeans More And More[ Go to top ]

When I got back to the Java world (from C#), I invested some time for chossing different IDEs, ASs, etc. Eventually, for IDE, only Eclipse and NetBeans are left in my computers.Eclipse seems more popular and more flexible and more heat today (partly due to marketing, you can't deny). But as I use and expereince more everyday. I really find Eclipse isn't as consistent and easier to use than NetBeans. For a simple example, when I developed J2EE project, needed to jump around different "perspectives," while at NetBeans all things were quite plain simple and again, "consistent."I found that I use NetBeans more and more each day, though I didn't throw away or ignore Eclipse. Eclipse is strong in Open Source side and big companies keep pusing it. Thus, as developer I cannot ignore it.

Actually Netbeans has improved tremendously, I am looking more and more towards it and probably will make the switch with the next version (which will have the enterprise features and the JSC downloadable)
    the only thing missing is the virtual folders it had originally, and eclipse has as external source folders.
    Why they took that one out is beyound me, that basically in the good old 3.0 days was the only feature which kept me on on using it (before the refactoring became more important and I made the switch to eclipse)
  17. Use NetBeans More And More[ Go to top ]

...the only thing missing is the virtual folders it had originally, and eclipse has as external source folders.

I don't know what did you mean by "virtual folders", but there's a nice way to open/bookmark files or directories independent of the project called "favouries". I keep my SQL statements there and various templates. I hope it helps.

Ontopic:

I think it is the way to go. There's a place for cross-IDE plugins. I just wondering whether is it possible to make a swing backed SWT implementation to help the other way around. I think it would help to MAC users as well.
  18. who really cares?[ Go to top ]

What a lame day on TSS!

You wascals, you!
  19. The last reason i should use NetBeans has gone.
  20. I'm trying to figure out how to get a custom component in the palette. In NetBeans there was a button on the toolbar to go into the Palette Manager. I can't figure it out in Matisse4MyEclipse. Anyone figured this out yet?