JProfiler 4.2 Released, Supports AIX, HP-UX, MacOS on Intel

Discussions

News: JProfiler 4.2 Released, Supports AIX, HP-UX, MacOS on Intel

1. JProfiler 4.2 now ships with the native profiling agents for AIX, HP-UX, and MacOS on Intel, as well as comparison tools between snapshots of heap usage and other performance metrics, updates to the heap walker, and new facilities for managing concurrency. (More details can be found on the "What's new" page.)

JProfiler is available for $499 USD for a standard license (which includes 60 days of email support), $698 for a license with a full year of upgrades and support (including higher priority on support requests), and $199 for an educational license. A fully functional trial version of JProfiler 4.2 is available for evaluation.
  2. Congratulations![ Go to top ]

We use JProfiler for performance optimization of the code generators by our data persistence products and we've found it excellent.

The UI is very slick - there's almost no learning curve.

So well done to the team at EJ Technologies.

PJ Murray, CodeFutures Software

Code Generation for Java Persistence
    Data Access Objects and Service Data Objects
  3. Yay![ Go to top ]

I'm an unabashed fanboi for this product. Everyone who asks me about a profiler I send their way, most especially for their cross platform support. Love it! :)

The one gap I've found is in how much detail you get about garbage collection, but jconsole covers that quite nicely.

James
  4. I have been using this product since 2.x something and never had a problem with it. Well worth the money. BTW, that old version still works with Java 5 for all basic profiling needs today, after a couple of years.
  5. We use it about a year and all works fine, JProfiler is the best tool for the interactive profiling I found.

The only suggestion I have for now - better support for remote profiling on the customer side. Currently, it seems too complex for most our customers to install all required JProfiler dll/jar/xml, run application with JProfiler enabled and send us snapshot. "Convert local session to redistributed session" is the right step, but, I feel, it can be simpler :-)

Maxim Kramarenko
    TrackStudio Enterprise - Hierarchical Issue Tracking Software
  6. CPU, network monitor for Java?[ Go to top ]

Is there an easy and open-source way for my Java application to read the current CPU and network utilization of the underlying hardware? I'm looking for something that supports Windows 2003 Server, RedHat Linux ES 3-4, Solaris 10. I've had no luck finding this with any of the SNMP or JMS libraries. And I don't want to write and maintain my own, but I fear I may have to.

-Frank Cohen
    http://www.xquerynow.com
    http://www.pushtotest.com
  7. CPU, network monitor for Java?[ Go to top ]

Is there an easy and open-source way for my Java application to read the current CPU and network utilization of the underlying hardware? I'm looking for something that supports Windows 2003 Server, RedHat Linux ES 3-4, Solaris 10.

AFAIK, there is no support for this in J2SE, so you would either have to go for a JNI solution or use a proprietary JVM feature. If you use JRockit (Windows, Linux, Solaris) you can access CPU load through our proprietary management API or through a JMX extension, but I don't think network utilization is available yet.

Maybe JSR-284 contains something useful?

Henrik, JRockit team
  8. Thanks for pointing me to JSR-284[ Go to top ]

Hi Henrik: Thanks for pointing me to JSR-284. That looks like it is the monitoring function I need. I'll investigate this more.

BTW, JRockit rocks! I've been seeing tremendous performance improvements when comparing against the Sun JVM. But you already knew that!

-Frank
  9. CPU, network monitor for Java?[ Go to top ]

If you use JRockit (Windows, Linux, Solaris) you can access CPU load through our proprietary management API or through a JMX extension, but I don't think network utilization is available yet.

Note: Another JInspired product - JXInsight - leverages the JRockit management API. See their web site:

http://www.jinspired.com/products/jxinsight/jvminsight.html
  10. Hi Frank,

I think what you are looking for is a general purpose monitoring solution rather than a low level code profiler. The JBoss ON (Operations Network) solution part of the JEMS subscription includes an OS agent for high level metric collection. I believe the agent is based on the opensource project: http://www.nagios.org

Of course there are many other tools that can collect this information but it depends on your other requirements: effective performance visualizations, configurable cluster analysis, event correlation, cross team collaboration....

Regards,

William Louth
    JXInsight Product Architect
    JInspired

"Effective Java Enterprise Performance Management with JXInsight"
    http://www.jinspired.com
  11. Hi William: Thanks for the recommendation. You're right that I'm looking for a monitor as opposed to a profiler. Too bad they aren't the same. Imagine having a profiler that could tell you what the system resources are up to when a particular method and class run.

Nagios looks great for a Linux/Unix solution. I'm looking for something that would tell my Java-based application the current CPU and network utilitization on Windows, Linux, and Solaris. I'll keep looking.

-Frank