Discussions

News: Article: Wanted: A Service-Oriented Architecture Methodology

1. According to Frank Teti, Anexinet Corporation industry analyst and principal architect, Web services appears to be lacking a methodology that addresses the unique attributes of an SOA project. An SOA methodology represents a set of tasks and associated artifacts that are focused on creating and maintaining a SOA.

In this article, Teti develops a unique philosophy and position regarding implementing an SOA. The resulting approach and artifacts over time could develop into a methodology, which could be used in a project plan where SOA is a partial requirement or the focus of the project.

Read Wanted: A Service-Oriented Architecture Methodology. Message was edited by: rlynch@techtarget.com

Threaded Messages (15)

2. For SOA, I see existing OO methodologies having to be
    tailored away from the self-sufficient concepts
    incorporated into OO to the SOA concepts of
    specialized computing interoperability. At this point
    in time, I believe people are on their own trying
    to tailor methodologies like RUP, RM-ODP, DoDAF
    for SOA. It’s good the author brings this point out about the required shift in the methodology artifacts for SOA.

Danny
    http://www.soamodeling.org
  3. Nonsense[ Go to top ]

This is no more (and no less) than component-oriented architecture, just like in the 90's.

That's not a putdown, by the way. It's still cool and valuable. It's just that there is nothing new here, architecturally speaking. Technically, and politically (in terms of vendor interoperability) hell yes ! there's enough that's new that it might be worth dabbling with this time around.
  4. Not JUST a buzzword[ Go to top ]

I spoke a lot about OO i the 80'ties, and the arguments were just the same. OO is just a buzzword - nothing really new here. And OO was a buzzword, but now, twenty years later, it is still there, and OO has done a lot to modelling, reuse a.s.o.

The same with SOA I think. The SOA vision is, that the IT-department is not making applications, but loose coupled business services, and the business people makes business processes by combining these business services with other business services and with manual activities.

Hopefully SOA will bring modelling and reuse one step further, than OO was able to do. But it depends on, how much you will be able to standardize on business models.

I agree, SOA IS a buzword, but I don't think it is JUST a buzzword. Time will tell.

best regards
    Hardy Henneberg
  5. Less methodologies![ Go to top ]

Sometimes I try to architect things and it just doesn't work out the way I wanted to.
    I get real frustrated and I try hard to architect it and I take my time and it doesn't work out the way I wanted to.
    It's like I architect real hard and it doesn't work out.
    Everything I do and everything I architect never turns out.
    It's like I need time to figure these things out.
    But there's always someone there going

Hey Greg:
    You know we've been noticing you've been having a lot of problems with the architecture lately.
    You know, maybe you should get away and maybe you should get a methodology, maybe you'll feel a lot better.

And I go:
    No it's okay, you know I'll figure it out, just leave me alone I'll figure it out. You know I'll just use SOA.

And they go:
    Well you know if you want to talk about it I'll be here you know and you'll probably feel a lot better if you talk about it.

And I go:
    No I don't want to I'm okay, I'll figure it out myself and they just keep bugging me and they just keep bugging me and it builds up inside and it builds up inside.

So you're gonna do SOA!
    You'll come out brainwashed with bloodshot eyes!
    You won't have any say!
    They'll brainwash you until you see their way!

I'm not crazy – SOA!
    You're the one who's crazy – SOA!
    You're driving me crazy – SOA!

They gave me a SOA methodology.
    Said it was the only solution.
    To give me the needed professional help.
    To protect me from the enemy, myself.

I was in my office and I was just like staring at the wall thinking about everything.
    But then again I was thinking about SOA.
    And then my boss came in and I didn't even know he was there - he called my name
    And I didn't even hear it, and then he started screaming: GREG! GREG!
    And I go:
    What, what's the matter?
    And he goes:
    What's the matter with you?
    I go:
    There's nothing-wrong boss.
    And he goes:
    Don't tell me that, you're on drugs!
    And I go:
    No boss I'm not on drugs I'm okay, I was just thinking you know SOA, why don't we get a Pepsi?
    And he goes:
    NO you're on drugs!
    I go:
    Boss I'm okay, I'm just thinking about SOA!
    He goes:
    No you're not thinking, you're on drugs! Normal people don't use SOA!
    I go:
    Boss lets just go get a Pepsi please?
    All I want is a Pepsi, and he wouldn't go with me
    All I wanted was a Pepsi, just one Pepsi, and he wouldn't give it to me.
    Just one Pepsi!!!

I'm not crazy - SOA
    You're the one who's crazy - SOA
    You're driving me crazy - SOA

They stuck me with this SOA methodology.
    Said it was the only solution.
    To give me the needed professional help.
    To protect me from the enemy, myself.

I was sitting in my office and my boss and my vp came in and they pulled up a chair and they sat down, they go:
    Greg, we need to talk to you.
    And I go:
    Okay what's the matter?
    They go:
    Me and the VP have been noticing lately that you've been recommending SOA,
    You've been SOA for no reason and we're afraid you're gonna hurt a system,
    We're afraid you're gonna hurt the architecture.
    So we decided that it would be in your interest if we put you in testing.
    Where you could get the help that you need.
    And I go:
    Wait, what do you mean, what are you talking about, we decided!?
    The systems best interest?! How can you know what's the system’s best interest is?
    How can you say what the system’s best interest is? What are you trying to say, I'm crazy?
    When I went to your schools, I went to your conferences,
    I went to your institutional learning facilities?! So how can you say I'm crazy???

(For the metal heads... This is a ST song.)
  6. Hi Folks

I dont think this article is a fair representation of the current state of the art. IBM has a mature SOA Consulting practice and they've created the Service Oriented Modeling and Architecture (SOMA) Methodology which is regularly used in their engagements. In addition, they have pattern languages for building and describing SOA eco-systems, sevice integration maturity models and SOA Governance processes, all of which are integrated with the SOMA method.

http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/webservices/library/ws-soa-design1/
    http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/webservices/library/ws-soa-soi/
    http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/webservices/library/ws-soa-soi2/
    http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/webservices/library/ws-soa-simm/
    http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/webservices/library/ws-soa-govern/

Steve Watt
  7. I mean they have only fragments of SOA methodology.
    IBM methodologies are good for SOA base on IBM products (eg. ESB centric).
    But methodology is not enough. You have to have some tools supporting it. And as you can see, there is no IBM Rational for SOA!
  8. I completely agree with article.
    I wrote master thesis about this problem - combining SOA and MDA (only in Czech :-().
    The lack of SOA methodology is also a reason that MDA cannot be yet used for SOA.
    Nowdays MDA tools mean OOAD (eg. RUP,...). They miss all basic concept mentioned in the article. Some arcitel about this were published on IBM website in 2004...

I mean some questions are still open:
    - is it possible to make SOA metamodel (it's required for methodology), some pople think it's almost impossible, OMG started working group for this task, also innoQ is making some activity

- isn't it cheaper to use heterogenous tools (metamodels) instead of one model

- is it possible to make integration easier using business patterns (artifact), there are no standardized business patterns but many technological (J2EE blueprints)

- SOA is not ESB, ESB is not SOA (see Radovan Janecek's blogs for discussion), I agree with him

- why companies don't use UML profiles for EDOC and EAI (that could suppot SOA)

- doas MDA mean using UML and OOAD, or will there be some other MOF based languages, the world is not only object oriented, there should be service orientation, data flow orientation, hierarchical orientation....

Lukas
  9. OASIS[ Go to top ]

How about the OASIS SOA technical committees works:

http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/tc_cat.php?cat=soa
  10. Re: OASIS[ Go to top ]

I would love to brag about the OASIS SOA technical committees except I'm a member on one the SOA TCs and that wouldn't be proper etiquette. I will say there are some outstanding individuals contributing to the OASIS SOA TCs.

The OASIS TCs focus on creating standards to help interoperability for industry computing environments. They don't provide a "How To" for developing the whole enterprise system from beginning to end. Each organization has to decide and tailor the appropriate software methodology for their purposes.

Danny
    http://www.soamodeling.org
  11. Re: OASIS[ Go to top ]

I looked at the SOA Reference Model page at OASIS and Adobe is leading that effort? It doesn't look like they've got much buyin from core vendors such as IBM or BEA. It still seems like any potential SOA standardization is running off in all directions.
  12. I'm trying to figure out why SOA is the main topic of 4 separate articles on the main page? I mean, it's not even clear what it IS or why anyone should CARE about it!

We expose some services via XFire as SOAP web services, does that make us a SOA? We're not actually architecting anything differently, so what exactly is SOA?

Is TSS just completely marketing-driven technobabble now?

Oh, and with the invocation of RUP and SOA in the same comment, I got my buzzword bingo!!!
  13. Is TSS just completely marketing-driven technobabble now?

Yes.
  14. SOA buzzwords[ Go to top ]

[sarcasm]
    If you have at least 4 of the following buzzwords, then you are SOA:

- document-centric
    - asynchronous
    - web services
    - stateless
    - BPEL
    - ESB
    - integration of disparate applications
    [/sarcasm]

Seriously, I'm still tryign to fgiure out SOA. Here's a few ideas I'm tracking in my head. I don't know yet if these are correct or not, but here they are:

- Prefer asynchronous, stateless services for maximum scalability
    - Make services document centric (rather than treating them like RPC)
    - Use an ESB to allow services to communicate (not point-to-point)
    - The services may be from disparate applications on heterogenous platforms, but must be exposed to the bus in a common medium (e.g. webservice)
    - Don't expose services that are too fine grained 9choke the bus)
    - Don't expose services that are too coarse grained (no flexibility, scalability, etc.)
    - SOA is about services -- usually web services, but not necessarily (but since most tools and vendors are focusing on web services, might as well leverage that)
  15. SOA is a buzzword[ Go to top ]

I failed to find out any detailed definition of what SOA is.
    At last, my conclusion is that SOA is an empty buzzword, very useful for meeting bingos.
  16. Microsoft Motion[ Go to top ]

Motion is a new methodology from Microsoft to orient SOA with business value. Indeed, the Motion guide suggests that SOA projects often fail due to lack of methodology such as this.

Motion is traditionally used by Microsoft Consulting, but is now rolling out as self-help guidance, in tools such as Visio, Visual Studio, BizTalk, and even impacting MSF. In other words, it's a large-scale effort.

It involves some dramatic mapping concepts that you can see in action here:
    http://channel9.msdn.com/Showpost.aspx?postid=179071

I have collected a fair amount of information regarding Motion, here:
    http://spaces.msn.com/ewright/blog/cns!C0C3DF24CE16DC2F!156.entry

Hope this helps.