Spring Wins Gold at JAX Innovation Awards 2006

Discussions

News: Spring Wins Gold at JAX Innovation Awards 2006

1. The award was presented to the Spring project founders and leads, Jürgen Höller and Rod Johnson, at the JAX conference held on May 8 - 12 in Wiesbaden, Germany. Spring was selected 1st out of 50 proposals by a jury of industry experts, which included Daniel Adelhardt (Sun Java Ambassador), Adam Bien (IT consultant, Java Magazin author), Erich Gamma (IBM Distinguished Engineer, Eclipse Java Development Tools Project Lead), Sebastian Meyen (Editor in Chief of the Java Magazin, Program Chair JAX) and Bola Rotibi (Analyst at Ovum). “The innovation of Spring lies in the brilliantly solved integration of different technologies. Spring’s contribution for the Java community is the clear simplification of many complex tasks in Java,” the jury said. Presentations of the 50 proposals as well as further information on the awards are available on the JAX Innovation Awards website. How has Spring added value to your application development efforts? With Spring 2.0 on the horizon (which maintains backwards compatibility with the Spring 1.x series), what new features and simplifications are you most looking forward to? Message was edited by: joeo@enigmastation.com

Threaded Messages (9)

2. Congratulations[ Go to top ]

Congratulation Rod and minnions ;) I fell in love with Spring almost 2 years ago and my interest in Spring only has grown ever since. The feature I`m most looking forward is dependency injection in domain objects. This makes it easier to create rich domain models instead of anemic domain models. Another great new feature is the improved xml syntax. But it won't change the way I write my programs, it just makes the applicationcontext easier to write en maintain.
  3. Re: Congratulations[ Go to top ]

Athough it was famous and used a lot, this award will give spring that final push into the orbit. Great work deserves award. Congrats Spring !!! p.s. - does anyone remember that jerk who had written an article on TSS that he doesnt get spring. i wonder if he gets anything ?
  4. Re: Congratulations[ Go to top ]

p.s. - does anyone remember that jerk who had written an article on TSS that he doesnt get spring. i wonder if he gets anything ?
    Uh, yeah, what a jerk. He probably beats his kids. In fairness, I have always found it difficult to provide a succinct description of "What's so great about Spring?" to someone who hasn't used the technology. I can touch on the testing support or the nice API's or the support for OO concepts, but it's difficult to get the big picture across without sounding like a theory wanker. If you haven't used the Builder pattern or Dependency Injection before, I think you do have to play around with Spring for a little bit to "get it". I'm curious if colleges are beginning to introduce DI concepts into their curriculum, so that developers will have a better understanding of how to use a framework like Spring when they enter the workforce.
  5. Re: Congratulations[ Go to top ]

I'm curious if colleges are beginning to introduce DI concepts into their curriculum, so that developers will have a better understanding of how to use a framework like Spring when they enter the workforce.
    I sincerely hope so too. I also hope that Sun would add more of AOP concepts in their certifications and reduce the EJB content(if they can't get rid of it i.e). Afterall shouldn't the direction of the industry dictate the coursework?
  6. Congratulations to you all[ Go to top ]

Well done guys! Spring continues to be THE framework of choice for java lightweight development. All the best, Gary _______________________________________________________
  7. well deserved[ Go to top ]

Well deserved too Can anyone remember just how difficult J2EE was before spring IOC. Let alone all the other tools. Congratulations cheers Robert
  8. spring is so 2005[ Go to top ]

^
  9. Finaly[ Go to top ]

The excellent layered architecture and well-defined modules combined with AOP and IOC makes Spring the best Framework available. Well deserved award . Vasanth Ct-USA
  10. Recently I've been migrating my web appliation (Struts 1.2 but no EJBs) to Spring 1.2. The integration is wonderfull but I guess that Spring does not offer any thing for RAD. I'm already using AspectJ, so I am not interested in Spring's AOP support & I don't need transaction support in this application. IoC is cool but factory also works(with no added XML). Am I missing something in Spring?