Discussions

News: Web Beans JSR submitted

1. Web Beans JSR submitted (7 messages)

At JavaOne 2006, Gavin King mentioned that the Web Beans JSR has been submitted, basically attempting to standardize the model that JBoss SEAM advocates, which is a blending of EJB3, the Java Persistence Architecture, and JSF (among others) to proide an easily maintained and powerful application architecture. From the proposal:
    The goal of this work is to enable EJB 3.0 components to be used as JSF managed beans, unifying the two component models and enabling a considerable simplification to the programming model for web-based applications in Java. In particular, this work will provide a programming model suitable for rapid development of simple data-driven applications without sacrificing the full power of the Java EE 5 platform. This is a domain where Java EE has been perceived as overly complex. To enable use of this simplified programming model beyond the realm of simple internet-facing web applications, this work will define an enhanced context model that provides first-class constructs for modelling user interactions. The enhanced context model will dramatically simplify the creation of complex stateful applications with sophisticated user interactions. Aspects that should be considered in this work include, but are not limited to, the following:
    • Definition of additional capabilities to be used with the EJB component model, allowing EJB beans to act as JSF managed beans in a JavaServer Faces application. This is in principle possible without requiring any changes to the EJB or JSF specifications. However, where appropriate, new features could be incorporated into the EJB specification or JSF specification at the discretion of the respective expert groups.
    • Definition of a unified annotation-based facility for manipulating contextual variables in a stateful, contextual, component-based architecture.
    • Definition of an enhanced context model including conversational and business process contexts.
    • Definition of an extension point allowing integration of business process management engines with the contextual component model.
    • Integration of Java Persistence API extended persistence contexts with the enhanced context model.
    • Collaboration with the JSF and Common Annotations for the Java Platform expert groups on the definition of Java annotation based metadata for JSF.
    • Ensure that components written to conform to this specification may be executed in the context of a Web Services invocation.
    • Ensure that the component model can be used with JSR-227 databinding.
    More Resources:
  2. Great news![ Go to top ]

Seam is a great framework and has a lot of good ideas which improve the ease of use of Java EE, so it's great to see it submitted as a JSR. Way to go, Gavin!
  3. Something about the thought of standardizing Seam rubs me the wrong way.
  4. Something about the thought of standardizing Seam rubs me the wrong way.
    To clarify, the Web Beans JSR will be influences by several frameworks, including Seam, Struts Shale and Oracle ADF. The plan is to distill the best ideas from these emerging frameworks and draw on the expertise of a broad expert group, which will include people from Sun, Oracle, JBoss, Borland, Google and Sybase, along with some individual members, and including people known for their work in the "web tier", along with people known for their work in the "enterprise tier". I'm not sure if it's appropriate to list people by name at this point in the process (I'm still new to this part of the JCP process), but let me say that we already have very strong expressions of interest from some really big name folks, and I hope to be able to form a really strong and extremely diverse expert group.
  5. Struts Shale? So is this what your J1 talk tomorrow with Craig McClanahan and Linda DeMichiel is going to be about?
  6. Struts Shale? So is this what your J1 talk tomorrow with Craig McClanahan and Linda DeMichiel is going to be about?
    No, we didn't talk about Shale in the talk. We discussed the fundamental Java Persistence APIs, walked through the ways you can leverage them in a web application (including some caveats like dealing with thread safety and transactions), plus a small example application based on the Struts MailReader sample app that uses the new techniques. One really nice feature is that, in a Java EE 5 environment (such as Glassfish), you get resource injection into JSF managed beans. Injecting an EntityManager makes it particularly easy to use the persistence architecture in a backing bean. I will be posting the sample app on my blog, once I clean up some of the code -- I'm still pretty new at this stuff too, and want to improve the slapped together code for this before sharing it :-). Plus, I want to add a couple of unit tests to illustrate how one might test such things outside a container. Craig McClanahan
  7. Re: Web Beans JSR submitted[ Go to top ]

I think the community really needs something like this, the popularity of RoR, CakePHP etc. show that CRUD web applications are in huge demand, but the java community wastes most of it's time arguing about component v. action based MVC frameworks. Every developer in every project using OSS code wastes time trying to get the versions of jar matched and trying to get frameworks working together. With a standard like this, whole stacks can be delivered together and we can stop wasting time everytime a framework in the stack updates it's dependencies. My only concern is with the time it will take to get this standard out. There are a lot of big-name vendors that will try and influence the APIs and the community cannot afford to wait another four years to standardise this.
  8. Re: Web Beans JSR submitted[ Go to top ]

I think Trails should also be mentioned in this discussion. They've progessed well over the past year and created a framework that allows developers to get an application working quickly, but is also very extensible.