Discussions

EJB programming & troubleshooting: Can a JMS queue be attached by multiple consumers simultaneously

1. Could a JMS message queue have multiple consumers simultaneously? If can, how to implement that? My experiences showed that at any time there is only one consumer allowed for a JMS message queue. If a subsequent consumer tried to attach to the same queue, the following exception would be thrown out: ===================================================== [b]javax.jms.ResourceAllocationException: [C4073]: A JMS destination limit was reached. Too many Subscribers/Receivers for Queue : PhysicalQueue user=guest, broker=CTPLIT015PC:7676(1462)[/b]====================================================== On the contrary, definitely multiple consumers can be attached to the same Topic.
  2. Conceptually can and we are using it with Oracle Advanced Queuing. Maybe it is limitation or setting of your JMS provider, that only one consumer can dequeue.
  3. Could a JMS message queue have multiple consumers simultaneously? If can, how to implement that?
    Absolutely! Most decent JMS providers should support load balancing of requests on a queue across multiple consumers. Its one of the main point of using Queues to get load balancing :) If your provider limits the number of consumers per queue consider using another provider. Incidentally one thing to be careful of is ordering; using multiple consumers per queue typically breaks ordering. Though you can use Message Groups to fix this; getting parallel processing of messages while preserving ordering across a correlation ID. James LogicBlaze Fuse: the Open Source SOA runtime
  4. Thus how can I increase the limitations of the JMP provider to tolerate multiple concurrent consumers? What I am using is SUN application server's Admon Console.