Liferay 4.0.0 Final Released!

Discussions

News: Liferay 4.0.0 Final Released!

1. Liferay 4.0.0 Final Released! (29 messages)

Liferay Portal 4.0.0 has been released, with fine-grained permissioning, support for Geronimo, Websphere 6, and Weblogic 8.1SP5, Alfresco integration, JSR-170 support, full-page caching, and more. It includes many bundled portlets and themes, and can be deployed on most application server/database combinations, including deployment in servlet containers (as opposed to a full application server). Liferay also supports single-signon, user customization, and a number of other useful features. Liferay is licensed under the MIT license. You can find an online demo of Liferay, and a roadmap for future development is available. Message was edited by: joeo@enigmastation.com

Threaded Messages (29)

2. Demo no worky?[ Go to top ]

The demo is redirecting me to a blank page, 'http://demo.liferay.net/c'. Anyone have it working? James
  3. Re: Demo no worky?[ Go to top ]

No, and that's exactly the type of thing I experienced in the week that I tried to get it working, before I had to give up.
  4. demo.liferay.net[ Go to top ]

demo site is back up.
  5. Try iy again ![ Go to top ]

Don't give up ! Liferay is really an impressive piece of software. I have been working on several portal projects built on top of it, each time with success. One of them is visible on http://www.stadup.com (sorry, on french version available at this time...). The learning curve is quite important, but once you pass it, it's really one of the best portal solution available. Bertrand
  6. Re: Try iy again ![ Go to top ]

Don't give up ! Liferay is really an impressive piece of software. I have been working on several portal projects built on top of it, each time with success. One of them is visible on http://www.stadup.com (sorry, on french version available at this time...)
    I agree that Liferay is a pretty impressive portal. However I wonder: why did you use a PHP CMS for the "home" pages? Isn't Liferay's built-in CMS enough? I'd really appreciate any insight. Cheers, Sylvain.
  7. Re: Try iy again ![ Go to top ]

If i remember well, the Liferay CachePortlet (up to 3.6) can't serve cached portlets content for users which are not logged id; this means that so called "home pages" (pages accessible to guests) are not cacheable at the portal level. this could be an explanation... just my 2 cents. cheers.
  8. Re: Try iy again ![ Go to top ]

However I wonder: why did you use a PHP CMS for the "home" pages? Isn't Liferay's built-in CMS enough? I'd really appreciate any insight.
    I'm not sure where you got that impression, but the entire www.liferay.com site is built using its own CMS. In fact, if you download a bundle, you get all the CMS content with it. The only two things that are using PHP are the forums (forums.liferay.com) and the support (support.liferay.com)... but we are eventually looking to alieviate that need...
  9. Re: Try iy again ![ Go to top ]

Actually, support.liferay.com is JIRA (java), forums.liferay.com is a PHP app, but we've already started the migration process to move the data into our Message Boards portlet.
  10. Re: PHP and Caching[ Go to top ]

They're referring to the stadup.com site, which appears to use php for each of the tabs across the top. As for the question of caching, Liferay 4.0.0 now supports full page caching for static CMS content, so it should scale even better than before for web publishing use.
  11. Drop the ear in my JBoss? what else? 13:12:52,740 ERROR [MainDeployer] Could not create deployment: file:/C:/jboss-4.0.4/server/default/tmp/deploy/tmp50455liferay-portal-4.0.0.ear-contents/cms-web.war org.jboss.ws.WSException: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.liferay.portal.shared.servlet.PortalServletWrapper at org.jboss.ws.server.WebServiceDeployerJSE.isWebserviceDeployment(WebServiceDeployerJSE.java:161) at org.jboss.ws.server.WebServiceDeployer.create(WebServiceDeployer.java:101) at org.jboss.ws.server.WebServiceDeployerJSE.create(WebServiceDeployerJSE.java:66) at org.jboss.deployment.SubDeployerInterceptorSupport$XMBeanInterceptor.create(SubDeployerInterceptorSupport.java:180) at org.jboss.deployment.SubDeployerInterceptor.invoke(SubDeployerInterceptor.java:91) at org.jboss.mx.server.Invocation.invoke(Invocation.java:88) at org.jboss.mx.server.AbstractMBeanInvoker.invoke(AbstractMBeanInvoker.java:264) at org.jboss.mx.server.MBeanServerImpl.invoke(MBeanServerImpl.java:659) at org.jboss.mx.util.MBeanProxyExt.invoke(MBeanProxyExt.java:210) at $Proxy48.create(Unknown Source) at org.jboss.deployment.MainDeployer.create(MainDeployer.java:953) at org.jboss.deployment.MainDeployer.create(MainDeployer.java:943) at org.jboss.deployment.MainDeployer.deploy(MainDeployer.java:807) at org.jboss.deployment.MainDeployer.deploy(MainDeployer.java:771) at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor16.invoke(Unknown Source) at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25) at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:585) at org.jboss.mx.interceptor.ReflectedDispatcher.invoke(ReflectedDispatcher.java:155) at org.jboss.mx.server.Invocation.dispatch(Invocation.java:94) at org.jboss.mx.interceptor.AbstractInterceptor.invoke(AbstractInterceptor.java:133) at org.jboss.mx.server.Invocation.invoke(Invocation.java:88) at org.jboss.mx.interceptor.ModelMBeanOperationInterceptor.invoke(ModelMBeanOperationInterceptor.java:142) at org.jboss.mx.server.Invocation.invoke(Invocation.java:88) at org.jboss.mx.server.AbstractMBeanInvoker.invoke(AbstractMBeanInvoker.java:264) at org.jboss.mx.server.MBeanServerImpl.invoke(MBeanServerImpl.java:659) at org.jboss.mx.util.MBeanProxyExt.invoke(MBeanProxyExt.java:210) at $Proxy6.deploy(Unknown Source) at org.jboss.deployment.scanner.URLDeploymentScanner.deploy(URLDeploymentScanner.java:421) at org.jboss.deployment.scanner.URLDeploymentScanner.scan(URLDeploymentScanner.java:634) at org.jboss.deployment.scanner.AbstractDeploymentScanner$ScannerThread.doScan(AbstractDeploymentScanner.java:263) at org.jboss.deployment.scanner.AbstractDeploymentScanner$ScannerThread.loop(AbstractDeploymentScanner.java:274) at org.jboss.deployment.scanner.AbstractDeploymentScanner$ScannerThread.run(AbstractDeploymentScanner.java:225) Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.liferay.portal.shared.servlet.PortalServletWrapper at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:200) at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method) at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:188) at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:306) at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:251) at org.jboss.ws.server.WebServiceDeployerJSE.isWebserviceDeployment(WebServiceDeployerJSE.java:151) ... 31 more
  12. Check out: http://www.liferay.com/web/guest/devzone/documentation It's not available in PDF and html. Try our JBoss bundled zip.
  13. Wow[ Go to top ]

Looks great. Now I should look into the sources)
  14. Try Stringbeans[ Go to top ]

I worked with Liferay for years since it was one of the first to have jsr-168 compatibility. I gave up because of constant problems and new releases breaking code. Try Stringbeans, it has a slimmer and more elegant design then Liferay and is actually stable! Steven P. Goldsmith FCCI Insurance Group Sr. Systems Architect
  15. Re: Try Stringbeans[ Go to top ]

Hi Steve, Being a newbie on portal development, I was just looking for a good portal on java techs. Somehow I got Liferay portal and going forward to develop a portal. I have seen your comment here in TheServerSide.com, just wanna know on which aspects (techs/design) you were saying StringBeans as the best portal when compared with Liferay. Can you pls advise me in detail ??? Awaiting your response !!! Thanks, Dhanunjay
  16. Looks good![ Go to top ]

Before I download and check it out, does Liferay require the Spring framework? For instance, I have an EJB 3.0 component model developed already and would like to see how Liferay could provide the Portal services. Thus, in my situation I don't need the Spring framwwork.
  17. Re: Looks good![ Go to top ]

Liferay Portal uses Spring for AOP and IOC related abilities. The portlets you write are in a segregated classloader and so has no idea that the portal uses Spring.
  18. Congratulations guys! Great release.
  19. Installation[ Go to top ]

Congradulations guys it really is a great product!!! One wish is please could you make the installation using any database or application server much easier. Seems to be quite a sticking point for none hardcore Java people. Mpume
  20. very nice[ Go to top ]

well done ! we're very satisfied LEP 3.6 users; Pls check this out: http://www.systemacase.it is running a clustered LEP 3.6 (jboss/tomcat) and nicely performing with 100k registered and counting portal users. what are the improvements with the SSO features ? is any web accessibility (W3c) features planned in your roadmap ? cheers.
  21. Re: very nice[ Go to top ]

well done !
    we're very satisfied LEP 3.6 users;
    Pls check this out: http://www.systemacase.it is running a clustered LEP 3.6 (jboss/tomcat) and nicely performing
    with 100k registered and counting portal users.

what are the improvements with the SSO features ?
    is any web accessibility (W3c) features planned in your roadmap ?

cheers.
    Hi Simone, I am quite interested in knowing a few more details about LifeRay's scalability. If you can, please can you give us a bit more details about your deployment topology and some statistics (transactions/day etc.)? Thanks in advance. Alessandro
  22. Re: very nice[ Go to top ]

apache http server - jboss 4.0.2 cluster (2 nodes) - postgres 8 feel free to contact me for further details. fiurein at hotmail dot com regards.
  23. Re: very nice[ Go to top ]

fiurein at gmail dot com sorry.
  24. All I gots tuh to do to install it is 1.) create a datasource for the portal, 2.) drop the portal .sar in my deploy directory. Then, it's like magic - it just installs its schema and up it comes (thank goodness fer hibernate tools). Why's I gots tuh use a bundle JBoss just tuh run an application like this that's packaged and distributed as an .ear and a .war? It ain't makin no sense! You wascals you!
  25. For deployment to existing JBoss installations, refer to the expert instructions here: JBoss + Jetty: http://content.liferay.com/4.0.0/docs/developers/ch02s01.html#d0e361 JBoss + Tomcat: http://content.liferay.com/4.0.0/docs/developers/ch02s01.html#d0e532
  26. Hi Elmira, Thanks for the comments. We'll be to incorporate a fix for what you've found. As for the reason why it's in a WAR and EAR: It has to be deployed in an EAR because a large % of our customer base chooses to deploy Liferay on a diverse set of application servers. As for a WAR, Liferay is also deployed in Jetty, Resin, and Tomcat environments. With the zip link we sent earlier, you can simply unzip and execute the batch file to install Liferay. For a visual guide, check out http://www.liferay.com/web/guest/devzone/lifecast Again, thanks for your comments.
  27. Hi Elmira,

Thanks for the comments. We'll be to incorporate a fix for what you've found.

As for the reason why it's in a WAR and EAR:

It has to be deployed in an EAR because a large % of our customer base chooses to deploy Liferay on a diverse set of application servers. As for a WAR, Liferay is also deployed in Jetty, Resin, and Tomcat environments.

With the zip link we sent earlier, you can simply unzip and execute the batch file to install Liferay. For a visual guide, check out http://www.liferay.com/web/guest/devzone/lifecast

Again, thanks for your comments.
    I reckun's yall don't quite get my issue - I'm right pleased that I kin download a .war or a .ear file and drop it in my server - that's a good thing regardless of the largeness of the % of your customer base. I'm in a perdicament though; when's I drop that thar .ear or .war file in muh JBoss and the server comes up a screamin and a hollerin with exceptioons and yuh tell me tuh download the liferay portal bundled with a JBoss, why that's just not right. I reckun I'll take a look at them thar links you posted to the advance install on JBoss - see what I kin come up with. Y'all take care now, You wascals you!
  28. Webapp Class Isolation[ Go to top ]

There are some extra steps to the Liferay EAR and WAR deployment due to a new feature in 4.0.0 -- portlet and theme war classes are isolated from the portal. This allows to exist multiple versions of classes in separate wars, a common scenario when dealing with integration and third party applications. For example this allows a CRM application with one version of hibernate + spring to coexist with a CMS application bundled with different versions of hibernate + spring.
  29. what kind English are you writing?
  30. Re: Re: Yes - I is spoiled[ Go to top ]

what kind English are you writing?
    If I may be so bold, what sorta English are you uh writin, son?