Discussions

News: Hyperic changes license for its enterprise management software

1. Hyperic has announced that it is adopting an open source business model for Hyperic HQ, its flagship product. HQ provides an inventory of all the hardware, software and services deployed in your infrastructure as well as supplying alerts on events and allowing control of various software resources. With the move to open source, Hyperic is encouraging an open ecosystem around Hyperic HQ. Users will now be able to benefit from community developed plug-ins, and easily adapt and enhance Hyperic HQ to their specific needs by accessing the product’s source code. Hyperic is supporting this activity by offering a free, downloadable open source development kit suitable for developing plug-ins that support specific software and hardware. Users will have immediate access to production release binaries of Hyperic HQ. Effective immediately, the Hyperic HQ open source platform is available in binary form at no cost. In early July, Hyperic will make the complete source code for the platform freely available for download from its Web site under the GNU General Public License (GPL). The GPL has enabled the development of strong communities around Linux, MySQL and many other open source technologies. In July 2006, Hyperic will also unveil a new Hyperic HQ community portal dedicated to user collaboration and code sharing. Message was edited by: joeo@enigmastation.com

Threaded Messages (9)

2. Open Source IT Management[ Go to top ]

There is a big gap today - with the Big 4 Management vendors at the high end and a number of lower level, point-specific scripting tools at the low end. Hyperic is basically addressing this need for a free and open source Management Platform in between. We are eager for people to try it - we think you will like it - http://www.hyperic.com/. Easy to install and get running - with a lot of functionality - autodiscovery and inventory, monitoring, alerting, real-time and historical reporting. Across all of your IT assets - Network devices, Operating Systems (Linux, UNIX, Windows), Middleware (J2EE like WebLogic, WebSphere, JBoss, as well as Apache, PERL, and .Net), Databases (like Postgres and Oracle), and even into the application and services tier (Mail servers). We are also interested in allowing people to write their own plug-ins. You can keep them proprietary if you like, or we hope to get a community of shared plug-ins. Bob Bickel Advisor to Hyperic bob.bickel@comcast.net
  3. Ideas[ Go to top ]

I think this can be used in conjunction with an IDM tool, like Sun IDM. The IDM tool identifies / discovers accounts within a given resource (like Solaris, Oracle, LDAP etc..), but does not actually discover those resources.. So I think it will be a good idea to overlap the two functionality by way of a plugin or something.... Anoop
  4. Re: Ideas[ Go to top ]

Absoultely! Like the posting mentions, we'll be releasing the code under a GPL license in a few weeks. We invite everyone to check it out, and start thinking about ways in which HQ's functionality can be used to integrate things like IDM and many other management solutions into a single portal. Thanks for the great feedback. -javier
  5. Re: Open Source IT Management[ Go to top ]

Hi Bob, I am curious why would you would think it best for customers to write to the Hyperic HQ properitary agent API rather than using JMX to publish inventory and metrics. By adopting JMX or the recent WS management API's they would future secure any such investment while still integrating with the current Hyperic offering (which I assume integrates with existing JMX solutions). Once the MBeanServer and MBeans have been deploye it should only be a matter of creating a config file to connect Hyperic HQ. Can you list the valid reasons for yet another properitary plug-in approach which customers have seen been pushed by HP OpenView and others for decades? Thanks. By the way do you still work for JBoss? How does this compare to JBoss ON? Subset? SuperSet? Do you have plans to integrate into a enterprise CMDB solution? Will you integrate or will you look to create your own CMDB solution? Recent announcements indicate the industry is moving to a more federated and open CMDB solution with a clear distinction between tooling (CMDB environment) and the actual information and management model of the CMDB. Regards, William Louth JXInsight Product Architect CTO, JInspired "JEE tuning, tracing, testing, and monitoring with Insight" http://www.jinspired.com
  6. Reply to William[ Go to top ]

Hi Bob,

I am curious why would you would think it best for customers to write to the Hyperic HQ properitary agent API rather than using JMX to publish inventory and metrics.
    Well, Hyperic fully exposes any JMX resource - so we are certainly NOT trying to replace JMX. The world is more than Java though, so other ways of hooking into management is needed. Hyperic has a very open way (and now open source) of letting the agent hook into whatever the thing is that you are trying to monitor or control thru that resource's particular interface (for example JMX). Getting CPU utilization is differnt on Windows than Linux for example - and Hyperic has a very nice technology called SIGAR that you should read up on more. We are also hoping that by open sourcing the entire plug-in architecture it creates an open implementation...
    By the way do you still work for JBoss? How does this compare to JBoss ON? Subset? SuperSet?
    I am an independent advisor to both JBoss and Hyperic. I shifted form being a full time JBoss employee in February. I had kind of done what I had come to do - to help build the business into a repeatable, growing entity.
    JBoss ON and Hyperic have a large union set, but both have unique areas of capability. We licensed Hyperic at JBoss over a year ago for the robust infrastructure, the ability to manage anything with a JMX interface and the very strong Monitoring capabilities and then built additional capabilities focused on Middleware and on things like provisioning and administration for JEMS. JBoss ON covers a sub-set of the plug-ins available for Hyperic - so things like WebLogic, WebSphere, .Net, Databases, Exchange, VMWare, XenSource, etc. are all available for HypericHQ.
    Try it out - I think you will find it is that nice blend between very powerful yet easy to get going... Hope that helps, Bob Bickel
  7. Re: Reply to William[ Go to top ]

Bob>"The world is more than Java though, so other ways of hooking into management is needed." I understand this but it is always possible to publish a JMX interface that proxying (wrapping) a native API or scripted integration - a bit like a JINI service proxy. The benefit here is that once the native interface has been made accessible via JMX then it could easily be consumed by other management server solutions that are heavily Java based. By the way is the SDK Java and/or WS based. Personally would like to see the many so called CMDB (really department or domain specific inventories/repositories) within companies wrapped in a JCR implementation allowing for IT & Application management vendors to provide a completed federated solution ontop of many individual Java enabled repositories (inventories). The current approach favoured by HP OpenView for a single monolithic CMDB is simply not scalable both in terms of runtime and integration. Management vendors could then concentrate on actually delivering usable configuration and change management solutions. By the way looking around at the current gap fillers I think Borland really made a mistake in not pushing forward with Borland AppCenter and Borland AppSimulator (a prototype I designed for JEE deployment and performance management before leaving). Regards, William Louth CTO, JInspired "JEE tuning, testing, tracing and monitoring with JXInsight" http://www.jinspired.com
  8. Re: Reply to William[ Go to top ]

Hi William, Our plugin API is implemented in Java. We could certainly wrap our plugins or the database itself with a JMX interface to expose data to other management solutions. We would welcome and encourage such a project to be developed in the open community with our upcoming source release. Our 3.0 version of HQ will also be done in the open where we can also consider leveraging JMX for the internal HQ server HQ agent HQ plugin interaction. When the product was originally designed, JMX 1.0 was not yet released. And it wasn't until JMX 1.2 and JSR 160 in particular when the idea started to become attractive. In the meantime, most of our newer plugins are implemented using just a plugin.xml descriptor without any code. For example, to manage a server which is JMX 1.2/JSR 160 compliant such as the recently added plugins for ActiveMQ and Geronimo. And to manage products where JMX is nowhere to be found, such as network devices using SNMP, business metrics using SQL, mixing in scripts in any language to talk to a storage device and so on. The point being, plugin implementations do not have to touch our existing Java plugin API nor will they need to make any adjustments if a JMX interface to HQ were to be implemented. Regards, Doug MacEachern CTO, Hyperic
  9. Just What I was Looking For[ Go to top ]

This looks great. I've been looking for something like this for a while and became frustrated with the setup and installation of some of the other open source equivalents. This was trivial to get going and the auto-discovery just rocked. With minimal effort, I was able to get my servers set up for monitoring. I especially like the fact that directions for enabling more detailed metrics for a given server type show up on the configuration page for the item. For example, when I go to the configuration page for an apache instance, it tells me how to install and configure the SNMP module for Apache so that I can get more detailed reporting. I did not see a link on the site for the source of HypericHQ. Anyone else find it? --Tim
  10. Re: Just What I was Looking For[ Go to top ]

Instead of jumping straight to the download and installing, I thought I'd try actually reading the full post and found the answer to my source code query. So thanks in retrospect. --Tim