Discussions

News: Web Services for Remote Portlets (WSRP) 2.0 Draft Available

1. Miko Matsumura posted "Web Services for Remote Portlets (WSRP) 2.0 Draft Available," announcing - obviously enough - that the WSRP draft 2.0 spec is available. WSRP is a technology that enables use of portlets hosted remotely in a given portal, which has implications for billing and deployment, much as web services themselves do. For example, suppose one were to use a UPS portlet deployed locally. When UPS updates the portlet, the local portal would either have to continue using the outdated portlet, or upgrade - a process that every portal using that portlet would have to follow. If the portlet were deployed via WSRP, then every portal using that portlet automatically gets the current version of the portlet, which lowers maintenance costs dramatically. It also allows UPS to track who is using the portlet.
  2. Very interesting. I heard alot about WSRP.Is it easy to implement? Is it as magical as its claimed it to be?What's the difference between it and AJAX. Thanx
  3. Very interesting. I heard alot about WSRP.Is it easy to implement? Is it as magical as its claimed it to be?
    I personally think it will be most interesting to make a generic WSRP service proxy thingy that can adapt any webapp using web clipping techniques. That will be the quickest way to get adoption for these kinds of technologies.
    What's the difference between it and AJAX.

Thanx
    Apart from everything they are exactly the same.
  4. WSRP vs. AJAX[ Go to top ]

Actually, WSRP and AJAX haven't much in common at all. AJAX is all about developing rich user interfaces on the web, while WSRP is about allowing diverse applications to comingle the presentment from different applications on a single page ("portalize", if you will). While there seems to be a great deal of interest in AJAX currently, I don't detect as much interest in WSRP, nor can I find many 'generic' implementations of the the spec (though commercial app server vendors such as BEA support the spec within their own proprietary Portal implementations). Note that Apache hosts an incubator project named WSRPJ or WSRP4J that hopes to be a generic implementation, but it appears to be in its early stages of development, so I'm not sure I'd want to bet the farm on using it. See: http://incubator.apache.org/projects/wsrp4j.html
  5. Re: WSRP vs. AJAX[ Go to top ]

Apart from WSRP4j, there is another open source WSRP implementation available at wsrp.dev.java.net