Sun Joins the OpenAJAX Alliance and Dojo Foundation

Discussions

News: Sun Joins the OpenAJAX Alliance and Dojo Foundation

1. Sun has announced it is joining the OpenAJAX Alliance and the Dojo Foundation. Sun says it will actively participate in these two communities to help drive open standards for AJAX programming and increase interoperability across AJAX technologies. As part of the OpenAJAX Alliance, Sun will collaborate with over 30 other member companies and organizations to identify and consolidate best practices, reach a consensus on programming models around a reference implementation for tools interoperability and generate wider AJAX adoption throughout the industry. As a sponsor of the Dojo Foundation, Sun will participate in the Dojo Toolkit project. The Dojo Foundation is a non-profit organization for JavaScript programming and the Dojo Toolkit is an open source JavaScript toolkit for professional Web development. As part of the Dojo Toolkit project, Sun will be contributing AJAX widgets, helping with internationalization efforts and refining documentation. Greg Murray, Sun's AJAX Architect, will be one of the people representing Sun as a member of the Dojo Foundation. In addition to joining these two communities, Sun announced a preview of a new plug-in for the NetBeans Integrated Development Environment to support the jMaki framework to improve developer productivity. Project jMaki, is an open source JavaScript wrapper framework for the Java platform. Sun also recently launched two new AJAX web portals: http://developers.sun.com/ajax and http://java.sun.com/javascript as well as several enhanced Sun BluePrints AJAX-enabled JavaServer Faces components for the Sun Java Studio Creator development environment. What are your thoughts on this collaboration? What do you think of jMaki?

Threaded Messages (8)

2. Sun loves all[ Go to top ]

are we surprised. ponytail boy cares about all
  3. cheap christian louboutin[ Go to top ]

Welcome to www.christianlouboutinmart.com We invite you to explore our complete collection of christian louboutin Shoes which include -christian louboutin, christian louboutin sale,christian louboutin Shoes , Christian Louboutin Pumps, louboutin,Christian Louboutin Sandals , louboutin shoes,Our luxury Christian Louboutin using only the highest quality materials. We bring you the finest quality, at the lowest prices.
  4. Sun joins all[ Go to top ]

Well while I'm kinda impressed with the speed with which Mustang is moving, JSF took forever and a day. So will SUN's involvement slow down those communities? Also I don't see SUN's collaboration in a product as positive. We keep getting features in java, but swing is still painfully difficult to use (ramp up), java has no file copy/move, and instead of adopting technologies like log4j, they rolled their own. While I see the collaboration kinda shaky, I'll give SUN some credit for doing a very nice job with NetBeans and the Studio. Those products are coming along nicely. Finally some Eclipse competition OTHER than Intellij Idea. Oh well, time will tell.
  5. Re: Sun joins all[ Go to top ]

Well while I'm kinda impressed with the speed with which Mustang is moving, JSF took forever and a day. So will SUN's involvement slow down those communities?
    Wh would they? They don't have veto power over the communities' output.
    Also I don't see SUN's collaboration in a product as positive. We keep getting features in java, but swing is still painfully difficult to use (ramp up), java has no file copy/move, and instead of adopting technologies like log4j, they rolled their own.
    Swing .. no comment. (I'm not well-versed in it.) File copy/move isn't a big deal, IMO. Log4J has been outmoded by its author, as far as I can tell, so maybe Sun had the right idea.
  6. Re: Sun joins all[ Go to top ]

Wh would they? They don't have veto power over the communities' output. Swing .. no comment. (I'm not well-versed in it.) File copy/move isn't a big deal, IMO. Log4J has been outmoded by its author, as far as I can tell, so maybe Sun had the right idea.
    Why would SUN slow the process? Well I have no idea, but I remember it took them a rediculously long time to get JSF launched. Long time as in Microsoft released .NET 2005 in almost the same amount of time. At any rate though.. hopefully this project won't suffer the same fate. File copy/move is just one example of the features lacking in the JDK. I really wouldn't even called it a JDK IMO. It's more a core development kit that needs another kit on top of it. Point in case, Jakarta commons shouldn't have to exist at all, but they do. A missing file copy/move is an indicator that someone didn't do their homework. Collection classes and multithreading features have been missing, but those were added in 1.5. However there's still a lot to be added, and why in the world SUN doesn't add stuff like this is beyond me. I wrote my own file & dir copy/move in my spare time. Again... as I said after I wrote my first post, IBM seems to be heading this up at some level. So my interest is rather mild.
  7. Re: Sun joins all[ Go to top ]

So will SUN's involvement slow down those communities?
    Expect Sun to produce an alternate Ajax toolkit that directly competes with these.
    java has no file copy/move
    You think thats bad? Try getting a listing of all the files in a directory which has a large number of files (3000+) in it. You will turn gray waiting for that to complete. I ended up writing a JNI wrapper to WIN32 api calls to get the job done for one client.
    and instead of adopting technologies like log4j
    Sun constantly reinvents the wheel. They actually compete with the OSS community. Competing with that community is a sheer waste of time and money. Sun's development department must be full of some real arrogant people.
    I'll give SUN some credit for doing a very nice job with NetBeans and the Studio.
    NetBeans is another example of competeing with the OSS community rather than working with it.
    Finally some Eclipse competition OTHER than Intellij Idea.
    NetBeans is only around to compete with the OSS community. Again, waste of time and money. Expect Sun to drop that product in the near future.
  8. Re: Sun joins all[ Go to top ]

Eclipse vs Netbeans? If you want to get work done faster, there is no question which IDE is better and its not Eclipse!
  9. OpenAJAX is IBM?[ Go to top ]

It looks like OpenAJAX is an IBM funded open source project. Just what we need... another one. Consider that the IBM title for Eclipse means they were going to "Eclipse" SUN, I have little interest in this especially since Google has their toolkit, and Macromedia has FLEX. A side comment here, RAD and Webshpere are slow and use an insane amount of RAM. Also at least for me, Eclipse has not delivered what I hoped it would: a fast, stable, feature rich IDE of quality plugins. Intellij Idea and NetBeans/SUN Studio just do it better. So I switched back. The last thing I'm going to do is support or follow a trail of bloatware. If you guys want to try a cool java based AJAX toolkit, look at Google's GWT. http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/ Jumpping off the soapbox...