Project Phobos, serverside scripting, now has source available

Discussions

News: Project Phobos, serverside scripting, now has source available

1. Project Phobos, a project attempting to allow rapid web application development through serverside scripting, now has source available. According to "New Phobos Build, Plus All The Source Code!," it's been tested on Glassfish; testing in other containers would be welcomed by the project team. What do you think of server-side Javascript, as shown by Phobos? As the project page says, Phobos' design should allow other scripting languages, and server-side Javascript isn't exactly a new idea. That said, a project like this, with enough visibility, might be another useful tool in the development arsenal, especially considering how many Javascript-aware web designers there are who might be able to use it.
  2. I can see the benefit of using JavaScript a lot of people have knowledge of the language already. However if I was going to move away from Java web development, then I'd choose ruby on rails. Freelance Javascript Projects | Ploud.com
  3. Distribution[ Go to top ]

While I'm all for ease of use and ready-to-run packaging, an 80MB download that includes the entire Glassfish server, just to test out an alpha-status Javascript framework seems a bit over the top for me.
  4. Re: Distribution[ Go to top ]

While I'm all for ease of use and ready-to-run packaging, an 80MB download that includes the entire Glassfish server, just to test out an alpha-status Javascript framework seems a bit over the top for me.
    You could always load it on another app server. The development team would apparently welcome that.
  5. Some people have just too much time and/or are really trying hard to become a new buzz-starter.
  6. LiveWire anyone?!?[ Go to top ]

Netscape used to have a technology called LiveWire! What are the similarities and differences between Phobos and LiveWire? Haven't used LiveWire myself, but would be interesting to know.