echo2, wicket, zk?

Discussions

Web tier: servlets, JSP, Web frameworks: echo2, wicket, zk?

1. echo2, wicket, zk? (5 messages)

Hi Iam a newbie in java web developement. I do desktop application using Delphi. I have just learn java programming language. And I want to do java web developement. I have made a little research on each framework, but I have only limited time and limited understanding also, I want to ask experts opinion which framework could be fitting for a newbie like me. I prefer framework which I could do CRUD easily. On wicket, base on what I've read it uses hibernate to do CRUD. Which is bad for me, I wish I could uses JDBC to minize the study time. On ZK, it uses a lot of 3rd party stuff like EL, beanshell and etc. And I also read that it discourages the use of JDBC. On Echo2, I think it is very close of plain java programming which good for me for a Java newbie. But from what I understand views and codes are not seperated which would make codes not readable friendly, hard to design the webpage itself, and hard to maintain. But what really concerns me is to do CRUD. The framework has many tutorial available on this topic. But I find less tutorial or samples on this topic as if the framework expect you know how to do CRUD. Thanks james

Threaded Messages (5)

2. Re: echo2, wicket, zk?[ Go to top ]

Hibernate is to JDBC as Java is to assembly (approximately) CRUD is too general a term to be used in this discussion. It would take you far less time to learn a higher level abstraction, as long as you accept the loss of not knowing what is going on under the covers. Most things will discourage the use of JDBC because it's usually unnecessary and very often misused. Also, EL is not comparable to JDBC. Echo2 is only a view tier framework. You still have to handle the other tiers separately. If you're worried about what your XHTML/HTML/JavaScript looks like, you aren't ready for/you don't need a view tier framework at all. Just do it by hand and don't complain that it's too difficult to make things do what you want them to. :)
  3. Re: echo2, wicket, zk?[ Go to top ]

Thanks for shedding some light. Are you saying that for the sake of doing it right I must learn Hibernate and I can use it on any of this 3 framework? If yes iam willing to spend some time to learn that stuff, and I don't mind if not knowing what is going on under the covers. I dont understand why you say Echo2 is only a viewtier framework, while many says developing Echo2 is like developing a swing application where it involves not only the UI but also the logic of your application. Thanks
  4. Re: echo2, wicket, zk?[ Go to top ]

Hibernate will isolate you from knowing [most of] the DB specific details. It will definitely make your life easier. There's not much to know, either. Most of your dealings will be with the SessionFactory class. If you use something like Spring's HibernateDaoSupport class, life gets even easier. Less code written == good. As for Echo2, yes. It's like Swing. Echo2 and Swing don't do much of anything beyond interactions with the user, as they're both view tier frameworks. If you need to fetch something from a DB and display it in a table, you're going to have to tell it to do that. The business layer that brokers information between the DB and the view is completely up to you. You can write it poorly where it seems like the business tier lives in the view tier, analogous to writing business logic in Struts Actions, but it's not recommended. :)
  5. Wicket doesn't require Hibernate...[ Go to top ]

Wicket doesn't require Hibernate, it's just that most of the users seem to use it! If you take a look at the wicket-phonebook example code in the wicket-stuff project on sourceforge, however, you'll see a Wicket/Spring app that can be configured to use either Hibernate or iBATIS to run basic CrUD & list operations. /Gwyn
  6. All of them are only presentation layer[ Go to top ]

It means you can use whatever database technology you like. You might take a look at http://www.zkoss.org/smalltalks/hibernatezk/hibernatezk.html http://www.zkoss.org/smalltalks/hibnsprn/hibn_sprn_zk.html