Monitor JDBC Performance with JDbMonitor

Discussions

News: Monitor JDBC Performance with JDbMonitor

1. Monitor JDBC Performance with JDbMonitor (13 messages)

JDbMonitor v1.0 has been released. JDbMonitor is a tool to monitor and analyze database performance down to specific SQL statements in any Java/J2EE application without code changes. With JDbMonitor you can determine database bottlenecks during development and testing phases to identify areas to improve and SQL statements to optimize. JDbMonitor sits between your Java application and the application's JDBC driver and intercepts communication between the Java application and the underlying JDBC driver. A GUI client is used to analyse and filter database activities. The product features: - Real-time monitoring of SQL execution - Compatibility with any application using JDBC - Effective GUI to analyse SQL performance data - Suitable for monitoring production systems What do you think of JDbMonitor?

Threaded Messages (13)

2. This is a very nice complement to my own administration solution, MessAdmin. I monitor web-related activites, and this product monitors DB-related operations... a perfect match!
  3. messAdmin[ Go to top ]

This is a very nice complement to my own administration solution, MessAdmin. I monitor web-related activites, and this product monitors DB-related operations... a perfect match!
    MessAdmin fills a gap in many webapp projects: - fine-grain session memory information. Congrats on the new features in the latest version. Thanks for this valuable open source contribution ( attn: JDbMonitor ):
  4. What do you think of JDbMonitor?
    I think that it would be a lot more useful if it supported applications that retrieve connections from DataSource. It isnt even that difficult to create a wrapping connector, and for $300 I would have expected it to be there already.
  5. P6Spy[ Go to top ]

Another useful open-source tool is P6Spy (http://www.p6spy.com), but it requires driver replacement.
  6. Is P6Spy still an active project?[ Go to top ]

It seems like the last release was in November of 2003! Steve
  7. Try Elvyx ...[ Go to top ]

We were using p6spy and IronGrid but we could not find the IronGrid code to fix some bugs. Then, we started implementing a client for p6spy and we finished implementing the full solution. This application is Elvyx and can be downloaded from: http://www.elvyx.com I think this tool could be useful to the community. Armando ;-) http://www.elvyx.com
  8. Hi! Thank you for TSS community's (especially Regina Lynch) interest in our product. In less than 24 hours of this posting, we have received hundreds of evaluation downloads. Being a relatively new product, we would like to get constructive feedbacks about JDbMonitor. Its goal is to help developers gain better understanding of an application's database performance (by monitoring from a JDBC perspective). It provides useful information to... - optimize slow SQL (or indexes) - troubleshoot existing/production applications facing database related performance problems. While there are other tools and techniques to log database performance, we find that there is a lack of easily accessible tools for developers (especially less technical Java developers) to effectively troubleshoot database related performance issues in Java applications. With the first version, we provide a GUI tool to remotely monitor Java/J2EE applications' SQL timing information as they are executed. Using JDbMonitor on Java/J2EE applications with lots of data should reveal SQL statements that require tuning/optimization. For more information, visit our website at http://www.jdbmonitor.com/ Thank You! - JDbMonitor
  9. John[ Go to top ]

Is it provide end to end transaction monitoring,identify the user name from the web tier through the business tier,R/3 tier until the database tier
  10. No Datasource support?[ Go to top ]

Does this monitor support connections from datasource? And what exactly is different from p6spy? p6spy is also a proxy driver and free.
  11. Re: No Datasource support?[ Go to top ]

We are in the midst of developing datasource support for JDbMonitor. We apologize for not making this feature available earlier. However, the numerous enquiry regarding this feature has increased the priority of making this feature available. Like I mentioned earlier, there will be similar products in the market. However, we believe that JDbMonitor is different for these reasons: - Its more effective to work from a GUI client compared to raw log files. Developers are able to visually monitor SQL statements in realtime execution, making it is easier to identify and resolve database related bottlenecks. - Using the 'Monitor Filtered Only' feature, you can dynamically monitor only SQL statements that might be causing problems in an application (i.e. taking a long time, retrieves more than 10K records, etc.). This is opposed to logging all SQL execution or performing only a one time configuration fitler for SQL execution. - We provide support and continued development for our products. Other features include: - local/remote monitoring - access control via passwords, IP addresses - support for multiple connections (to monitor an application) - export to excel - save/load performance data for future analysis P6Spy is a good open source tool for capturing JDBC calls into log files. However, does not provide a GUI tool for filtering or performing further analysis to these data. Do try JDbMonitor the next time you want to determine an application's database performance. Being relatively new in this market, we look forward to improving our product based on your feedbacks. Thank You! Alex - JDbMonitor
  12. Alternatives[ Go to top ]

"Like I mentioned earlier, there will be similar products in the market. However, we believe that JDbMonitor is different for these reasons...." I think I can at least defend one of the other products on the market. For a few hundred more dollars you can purchase the Workstation Edition (Single CPU) of JXInsight that contains the following features not found in this offering. + JXInsight Trace: Contextual trace extensions for EJB, JMS, JCA, JTS, JTA, JNDI, JCR, CORBA, RMI, EJB3 Persistece, JDO, BEA Kodo, WebLogic RMI, Servlets/JSP, JBoss Client/Container Interceptors, Tangosol Coherence, Spring, Hibernate, JBoss AOP, Ant, JUnit, TestNG, Logging, Log4j, Swing/AWT, HP OpenView SD 4.5 and 5.0.... + JXInsight JVMInsight: Remote inspection of the runtime state of systems and components active within JVM. Extensions are available for JMX MBeanServers, JNDI, RMI Registry, Tangosol Coherence, JBoss AOP, BEA JRockit, Logging, JDBC Drivers, JDBC DataSources, SQL ActiveWatch, JBoss Server Info, HP OpenView OBS MetaData, Java5 Management and Monitorting API, Tomcat Session Management + Ability to embed JVMInsight inspections modles within a comprehensive diagnostic image in the event of an error and possible performance problem + 10 times faster than other solutions while collecting must more contextual information + An award winning UI with powerful visualizations that go beyond a simple table view + SQL parser that dynamically builds a database schema based on the SQL DML executed + Tables access pattern analysis per call stack, package, tier, and transaction pattern + Transaction history analysis with aggregated statistics per transaction history pattern (callstack + trace stack + sql context) + XA transaction support (data source support) + Comprehensive JVM model within each snapshot containing the following information: call stacks, class loaders, class, interfaces, inheritance/implementation tree, methods, code sources, source line numbers.... + Call stacks for each JDBC invocation + JVM resource metrics (cpu time, clock time, service time, thread blocking, thread waiting, gc, clock adjusted) per JDBC invocation, JDBC transaction pattern and trace interception. + User defined cluster support that allows aggregation of snapshots across multiple managed and monitored servers + Metric analysis mode that provides a high level view of JVM, JDBC, and JMX metrics + Timeline analysis mode for detailed journaling of JDBC transaction, JDBC invocations and JXInsight traces. + Powerful cluster "concurrency" analysis for transactions and traces within management console + Powerful snapshot management repository supporting off-line merging of snapshots (timeline, mertrics, and prfile). + The ability to annotate any object or property value within the snapshot model useful for sharing knowledge and expertise across application and service management teams + Command line interface that works across servers in a cluster + Exporting of snapshot data to CSV file format as well as graphical images + Open Trace API for custom trace extensions + More than 800 system properties for fine grain customization of all extensions (Trace, JDBC Drivers/DataSources, JVMInsight, and Metric Mapping) data collection and profiling behavior. + Object allocation JVM metrics per transaction, trace, and JDBC invocation .... much much more but it is best to check out our website Whats new in JXInsight 2.1 --> 4.2: http://www.jinspired.com/products/jxinsight/index.html Performance Insight Articles: http://www.jinspired.com/products/jxinsight/insights.html Company blog highlighting ongoing developments: http://blog.jinspired.com/ Regards, William Louth JXInsight Product Architect JInspired "JEE tuning, testing, tracing, and monitoring with JXInsight" http://www.jinspired.com
  13. Re: No Datasource support?[ Go to top ]

Do try JDbMonitor the next time you want to determine an application's database performance. Being relatively new in this market, we look forward to improving our product based on your feedbacks.
    Someone might say that 99% of the real performance problem related to databases are actually sql problems - i.e. the application doesnt use available indexes correctly or indexes might be lacking, or performs joins that just cant scale when facing production volume data. If I get you correctly, then this isnt addressed at all by your software? Basically you can tell how long time it takes from the statement is passed to the engine untill data is returned? But nothing about what actually goes on when the engine executes the statement?
  14. Re: No Datasource support?[ Go to top ]

Hi John, The focus on JDBC profiling is because developers, testers and operations staff do not know the following when looking at trace logs for DBMS 1. The response time for the application server taking into account the network costs in transferring the results across the network 2. The application, component and business operation (use case) that initiated the SQL statement. [Not addressed by this product because it does not have a trace context stack or a Java call stack] 3. The trace and transaction resource history (sequence patterns) which could highlight performance issues when the SQL statement is repeatedly executed within the same JDBC resource transaction - fetching a single row at a time. [Again not addressed by this product] 4. Poor JDBC resource usage patterns leading to connection leakages and/or poor performaning connection pools. [Again not addressed by this product] 5. Capturing of diagnostic images that contain runtime state information including SQL bind parameters [Not addressed by this product] and SQLExceptions for profiled executions. The biggest performance gains come from understand the context to the execution of the statements - context which is missing from this and many other profiling solutions. JDBInsight (now a component of JXInsight) has for sometime addressed these and many more performance management and analysis issues for sometime. If you are really interest in the type of analysis required for enterprise applications then check out the following performance insight articles: Timeline Analysis and Execution Behavioral Patterns http://www.jinspired.com/products/jxinsight/concurrency.html Database Lock Contention - Performance Problems in mixing OLAP and OLTP Workloads http://www.jinspired.com/products/jxinsight/olapvsoltp.html Network Latency Overhead - Excessive Client-to-Server-to-Database Roundtrips http://www.jinspired.com/products/jxinsight/networklatency.html Have you found a DBMS tool that presents such useful (and wonderful if I so say myself) transaction visualizations? Kind regards, William Louth JXInsight Product Architect JInspired "JEE tuning, tracing, testing, and monitoring with JXInsight" http://www.jinspired.com