Phobos tutorial available

Discussions

News: Phobos tutorial available

1. Phobos tutorial available (5 messages)

Phobos, a lightweight Web application framework, runs on Java but allows you to develop your application using a scripting language. Since it is scripting-friendly, Phobos boasts a programming environment that fosters rapid development. This tutorial walks you through the process for creating a simple Phobos application, using a calculator application with several code examples.
    All Phobos applications adhere to a specific structure, which encourages building web applications according to the MVC design pattern. Every Phobos application includes an application directory, which in turn includes at least a controller, a script, and a view directory...the application directory contains the following directories: - The controller directory is where you put the scripting code that creates a controller object and defines the functions that are called in response to user actions. - The script directory is where you can put any extra scripting code you use in the application. In the case of the calculator, the script directory contains a script file that redirects requests to particular pages of the application. - The view directory is where you put the files that represent the different pages of the application. More complicated applications might need additional directories, such as a script directory, in which you can put static files, such as HTML pages and CSS style sheets.
    One said advantage of developing with Phobos is that you are free to change or add on to the application while it is running. Future versions of Phobos promise sophisticated database access and integration with Ajax technologies such as jMaki. What are your thoughts on Phobos?
  2. Am I the only one who believes there are just TOO MANY non-standard MVC frameworks popping up all over the web? Why can't people focus their attention to participating in the development of existing tried and tested solutions such as Struts or JSF? Sure, everyone wants feature and X and feature Y and some want to reinvent the wheel... But imagine if all the new framework developers out there focused their energies to implementing these features and driving the evolution of existing frameworks like Struts or JSF instead of going back to the drawing board and implementing a full blown independant framework?! We could have something really nice, but alas, here we are... Every day, a new MVC framework crops up to dilute the J2EE world.
  3. You're not the only one - I couldn't agree more. And here you have the special benefit of the introduction of yet another rotten little custom scripting language. It reminds me of my very first job. The company had created their own network database system (because they couldn't afford Oracle or something). And they used their own scripting language to work with it, and that language was buggy and awkward. OK. Then they built another little scripting piece-o-feces to do reports. So at that time, they had three guys doing nothing but working with their own two lousy little scripting languages. So when we needed to create some custom data mining for a new large customer, the lead developer's proposed solution was to be clever and create a third custom scripting language. It's true that they're out of business now, and he's dead. But I think they deserve more punishment. Ah ... I guess that's not exactly what you were saying ... kind of a tangent ... Anyway, I agree.
  4. Because Struts and JSF suck!
  5. Am I the only one who believes there are just TOO MANY non-standard MVC frameworks popping up all over the web? Why can't people focus their attention to participating in the development of existing tried and tested solutions such as Struts or JSF?
    Two thoughts on this. 1) Because there is only so much you can do by enhancing and plugging in to Struts or JSF. And the very act of doing so increases complexity as you now need Struts or a JSF implementation, you need to understand them and hope their doco is up to date, and you need the current version of said plugin...and all the dependencies of both. And of course many problems will crop up that neither developer feels is there problem... 2) OMG, can you imagine what would happen if all the MVC authors stopped and began jumped into the Struts community? The churn, arguing and trolling would be so enormous that I think progress wouldn't just stop it'd go backwards ;) -Tim Fennell Stripes: Because web development should just be easier.
  6. I think it is fine that so many MVC frameworks are popping up and this is a place for them to be announced. Competition is good. If any new framework presents something original then it may be worth a look. Of course for the vast majority a look is all they are worth. That said, I wish more effort was going into improving the top 3-4 frameworks today. Are we still refining configuration? Reducing the amount of developer code? It would be interesting to see a statement from each project clearly explaining why they decided to reinvent the wheel vs plugging into an existing project. Of course maybe so many MVC frameworks pop up because it is an easy project to tackle. There is a well-defined scope and many existing projects to steal ideas from. What would be an interesting discussion are areas that are still fully untapped by OSS. What projects aren't being tackled? What existing areas have no competition? Why aren't there more alternatives to Ant? Ant is fine but XML can't be the best technology for a build file - I think one of the original developers admitted to that. What about some alternative rules engines that don't require a master's degree to configure and use? ______________ George Coller DevilElephant