Discussions

Blogs: Technologies to Learn

1. Technologies to Learn (4 messages)

The question that faces all technologies is where should we invest our learning time. This was the question posed to participants at a recent Virtual Java Meetup. In his blog, Paul Browne summerizes the results of the discussion. The list contains; web services, EJB 3, Netbeans, Workflow, Rules Engines, Struts, JSF, SOA and further out expect good things from Service Mix (a personal favorite). The summary also contains a small justifcation or qualification for each choice.
    Web services are going to be big, but only if they can be simple
    Also the prediction is in that many companies will migrate from the JDK 1.4 straigh to Mustang (Java 6). The reasoning behind this is quite simple. Most companies are using other technology that is tied to the 1.4 and won't be able to move until the Vendors have stabilized these packages using the new features found in the 1.5. Given all of these development cycles put together and you have the first big wave of migrations happening sometime after the 1.6 is released. What technologies do you expect to be big in the coming year and when will your projects be able to migrate past the 1.4?
  2. I am afraid the discussion forgot to mention Spring and POJO development. Spring has various support for remoting services such as RMI, JMS, Web Services whereas EJB remoting technologies is limited to a upgraded RMI service. I'm slightly getting annoyed with how people are talking about EJBs but won't look at the better alternatives to this already out dated technology.
  3. Well Spring and POJO are excellent, I agree, but EJB3 is versatile..! There is nothing to be annoyed about, if we decide to adapt to the newer stuff and find out the better aspects. I think .Net and Java are still way futuristic. I dont understand people making loud noise about PhP and Ruby On Rails.. Surely I believe will take a share on the Web-Tier as far systems are concerned. Imagine a company who has got Mainframes,*nix , Windows infrastructure, with possible SOA based integration between their various systems, who might have already made invest on java or MS or legacy systems, trying to develop their Web Front End using Ruby on Rails or PHP? Or would they rather use a more mature, tried and tested platform like Java or .Net for the purpose? Will they use the current experienced skill pool, or will they try to use something new as some of the so called mavericks? One thing most people forget is, that the wider reach of internet is the main driving force behind all these technological innovations in the recent years, enterprises could extend their reach via internet, many time consuming business processes are automated...and there was a huge demand for a more versatile platform.. Then came java with the platform independancy and a lot of new features which were sought after..and the launch of java was perfectly timed with the explosion of Internet. And now we stand in a position where we can expose data from a mainframe on a remote web page..and initiate business processes.. thanks to SOA. And a major chunk of integration/interfacing between legacy systems >> to bring information to the end user could only be possible with versatile platforms like Java and .Net. The innovator among them will gain more share .. And the talks of Java being replaced by Ruby on Rails , or PHP is like Current Mainframe Cobol systems being Replaced By Java or any language of its kind..! May be Java will loose its grip on the web tier, mind you the web tier is not only involved in enterprise level systems. May be for a system like a small recruitment site can run on Ruby or php or python... The future is mobile technology..! Where information is made available almost anywhere any time.
  4. This seems to be happening and I think it's bad. I'm a PHP/.NET developer for a medium sized company. Java really should be pushing into this space. It's getting easier but it's still got some work to do. I'm primarily do the web with PHP but we're doing more and more intranet developments in C# .NET simply because we're a MS Shop more or less and it's really easy. Java's getting better and easier but it's gotta keep going and give MS a kick in the mid size businesses.
  5. Applications can be of 5 types. i) Desktop ii) client-server iii) web-tier iv) Enterprise-tier v) Mobile. Java shines in all these areas. The PHP/Ruby world has no Enterprise Container. Even DotNet does not have an Enterprise tier. They are still using COM+ which works only in Windows platform. Thus, there is no rival to J2EE in Enterprise tier. In mobile world too, J2ME is excellent. Platform independence is the most important thing in Enterprise world. I cannot equate asp.net with j2ee. J2EE is decidedly far better. It has been reported that Messaging service in J2EE is better than the corresponding service in DotNet. Mainframe-data access through JCA is reported to be better than the one provided in Microsoft Host-Integration server. SOA integrates J2EE services with Microsoft and PHP clients. The server SHOULD always be J2EE .I don't see why anyone would write a server in ASP.net or PHP and consume it in Java client. For easy integration of web-tier and EJB tier, there is nothing better than Struts/jsf/Stateless/hibernate or CMP or BMP. This is the BEST architecture.