Discussions

News: Borland readies for ALM makeover

1. Borland readies for ALM makeover (7 messages)

A generation of programmers grew up on Turbo development tools. But today Borland has a limited, albeit loyal, following. So the company has developed a new strategy that they hope will put them back on the map. After Borland's unsuccessful name change to Inprise awhile back, FTP's Peter Varhol is concerned about another uncertain makeover for the company. In this article, Varhol discusses Borland's strategy as a provider of application lifecycle management (ALM) solutions in place of traditional development tools. While Borland is busy acquiring ALM companies geared toward solutions for the enterprise, they are also intent on hanging on to their developer audience. OEM and cross-licensing deals will enable them to still sell development tools.
    Rick Jackson and Eric Frieberg explained that the Borland approach was a seamless integration and exchange of data between stages of the application lifecycle, and tools used in those stages, including non-Borland tools. When I pointed out that other vendors have used this message for many years, even if they had not been able to deliver on it, the Borland executives explained that they executed a full reorganization of the company development teams to be less product-focused and more ALM stage-focused. That approach was working, they claimed, because it meant that teams could think beyond shipping their own products to supporting all parts of the lifecycle. I also mentioned that seamless data exchange was the goal of the Eclipse ALF and Corona projects, to which they took strong exception. "Old technology," "incomplete solution," and "large vendors haven't signed on" were the milder of the objections. True enough, but I would not want to be the one betting against the Eclipse juggernaut right now. Borland might have a head start in delivering such an integration technology, but the markets don't always congregate around the first company to arrive.
    How do you think Borland will fare in the highly competitive ALM market?

Threaded Messages (7)

2. Good time to make a run at it[ Go to top ]

Borland certainly has a chance to capitalize on the ALM market, with the HP acquisition of Mercury there may be a soft period for their biggest competition. With Borland's tradition of being a pure software company, they win new customers. All depends on whether they can integrate more than a marketing campaign. My bet is they can.
  3. Dead man walking[ Go to top ]

Borland has lost thier identity. Most people say "Oh, Borland? They're still around?" Renaming themselves to inprise started it. This ALM push will finish it. ALM is the current B2B. Remember B2B?? There were all these companies that were going to make billions in the 'B2B Market', where are they now? Either gone or selling different things that include B2B along with other useful solutions. Don't get me wrong ALM is important, but like B2B, it's not something you can bet everything on.
  4. Re: Dead man walking[ Go to top ]

I agree, as a Borland groupie (going back to Pascal), I can only regret that the management has always taken decisions I could never grasp. The unfortunuate change to inprise was an example, anyway I guess they have their reasons and information we don't have. I think it's a pity because I really liked Delphi, what a waste. Maybe we'll see them coming back to the Development market after failing in the ALM market ;o) However, I do wish them luck although I fear that it's a battle lost before it was even started. a++ Cédric
  5. Re: Dead man walking[ Go to top ]

Maybe we'll see them coming back to the Development market after failing in the ALM market ;o)

However, I do wish them luck although I fear that it's a battle lost before it was even started.

a++ Cédric
    They won't come back to the development market as they have already committed to sell all the development tools. That sale is imminent. So the author has it wrong that they are still intent on hanging onto their developers. The new company, currently code named "DevCo" will be the one where any loyal developers that are left will flock to. The Borland that will be left will be Borland in name only.
  6. Borland Fan from wayback[ Go to top ]

Hey I liked Borland (the Philppe Kahn days).. I had Turbo Pascal for CPM, Turbo C, Turbo C++ (at least a couple of versions) Borland C++ for OS/2 and I bought the first version or 2 of JDeveloper and used other versions at work up till 2002. Moved Jobs, they were using WSAD from IBM. basically eclipse + bunch of IBM plugins... Now I just use eclipse. Borland of old was dead years ago. Borland is now a bunch of cluess techno-weenie managers that are jumping from one thing to another to try and find a business plan... It's a shame. Other companies make money selling development tools. Why Can't Borland?? See Clueless-techno-weenie manager explantion.
  7. Re: Borland Fan from wayback[ Go to top ]

Hey I liked Borland (the Philppe Kahn days).. I had Turbo Pascal for CPM, Turbo C, Turbo C++ (at least a couple of versions) Borland C++ for OS/2 and I bought the first version or 2 of JDeveloper and used other versions at work up till 2002. Moved Jobs, they were using WSAD from IBM. basically eclipse + bunch of IBM plugins... Now I just use eclipse. Borland of old was dead years ago. Borland is now a bunch of cluess techno-weenie managers that are jumping from one thing to another to try and find a business plan...

It's a shame. Other companies make money selling development tools. Why Can't Borland?? See Clueless-techno-weenie manager explantion.
    I agree completely !! borland has no identity/ branding left in the IT world. You guys had the best competitive advantage in the industry atleast 15 years back. You lost it. I m sure your top guys are still making more money but making less decisions. In my MBA we studied a case study on borland as how to loose competitive advantage and branding. And now you are trying to get into ALM when people have been there done that long time back. .. such a pity !!!
  8. Re: Borland Fan from wayback[ Go to top ]

Borland has been in the ALM space for a while. I think they must have looked at all their offerings and tried to pick what was the strongest space with the most room for growth to focus on. This isn't like they are entering a completely new field.