Discussions

News: FaceletsTools 1.0 for Dreamweaver - Now Available

1. FaceletsTools 1.0 is now available for download, adding comprehensive support for Facelets UI tags and composite view design to Dreamweaver MX 2004 and Dreamweaver 8. FaceletsTools Community Edition is available for free and FaceletsTools Professional costs $30. Features include: + Visual Tags for Facelets UI Tag Library + Drag-and-Drop Toolbar for Facelets UI Tags + New Facelets XHTML Document Type (*.jsf) + Facelets UI Composite View Design Support + Context-Sensitive Help for Facelets UI Tags + Syntax Auto-Completion for Facelets UI Tags + Facelets "JSFC" Feature Attribute Support + and more Facelets is an exciting technology that combines the power of UI components and the flexibility of XML to accelerate JavaServer Faces (JSF) development. With no compile-time overhead between page updates, Facelets presents a compelling alternative to JSP as the markup technology of choice for next-generation JSF applications. We compared our UI design productivity using both JSP and Facelets, and found that we saved on average 1 hour per day with Facelets. Have you compared JSP and Facelets for yourself? Which do you prefer, and why?
  2. I'm not a Dreamweaver user but I have used Facelets and found it a far better experience to using JSP. Even though my IDE didn't support code-complete for Facelets tags, I still found developing pages easier.
  3. saving one hour a day. quite a feature. But then i read the explaination.
    With an average of 1 second per JSP translation, 1 design iteration every 10 seconds, and an 8-hour work day, the following chart shows that almost 1 hour of design time is lost each day when using JSP
    lies damn lies and statistics
  4. saving one hour a day. quite a feature. But then i read the explaination.

With an average of 1 second per JSP translation, 1 design iteration every 10 seconds, and an 8-hour work day, the following chart shows that almost 1 hour of design time is lost each day when using JSP

lies damn lies and statistics
    Hi Jelmer, What is your issue with my statistics? Is it, 1) the duration of the JSP translation process (1-2 seconds)? 2) the number of design iterations per minute (6)? 3) or the 8-hour workday? The JSP translation process should be a non-issue, so I'm guessing you doubt the number of iterations per minute or the 8-hour workday. I'm not sure what you do, or how you work, but with 10 years in the Web design industry, and 4 years as a Java developer, I've adapted a workflow that combines a short-term, iterative UI design style with a more thought-intensive, concentrated programming methodology. I stand by my numbers - 6 design iterations (round-trips from your design environment to the browser, including refresh) per minute is typical when you work on multi-page, multi-level websites for many hours at a stretch. As an independent consultant, I often work more than 8 hours a day, sometimes 12 to 16 hours actually, so I also stand by my numbers on the hours of work too. My point is that JSP technology is not suited to a rapid UI development style and that JSF is faster with Facelets. If you care to discuss this further, I'm interested in what you have to say. Ian -- Ian Hlavats Tarantula Consulting Inc. http://www.tarantulaconsulting.com