GBeans -- Geronimo's way of conforming to J2EE standards

Discussions

News: GBeans -- Geronimo's way of conforming to J2EE standards

1. This article gives you a primer on the J2EE 1.4 standard, to which Apache Geronimo aspires to conform, and how it relates to Geronimo technology. You'll also review some of the more important container classes defined by J2EE as well as investigate GBean technology and more advanced Geronimo concepts. Here's a discussion of some first concepts of J2EE:
    The client layer of the J2EE multitiered design is represented by the pure HTML protocol -- generated by JavaServer Pages (JSP) and Java servlets -- and potentially deploys Java applets with the transporting protocol being, of course, TCP/IP. Any standard-conforming Web browser should be able to perform just fine as a client of the J2EE system. The server layer contains Enterprise JavaBeans (EJB) technology in which the platform logic of the enterprise applications is defined. The EJB servers provide functionality for threading, concurrency, memory management, and security and do these things automatically so as not to burden the application programmer with the details. It's here that the power of the J2EE design is realized. In the lowest layer is the core of the enterprise's precious data where standard database tools, such as IBM® DB2®, Oracle, MySQL, or any number of other Structured Query Language (SQL)-based database engines are accessed through the Java Database Connectivity (JDBC) interface. J2EE is all about defining Web services -- a fancy name for a way of defining dynamic Web pages that programs generate on the fly rather than pages that simply return flat HTML text files to the calling client browser. J2EE is a veritable alphabet soup of technologies, each described by a catchy acronym. There's no need to master all these technologies to enjoy a productive career in a J2EE environment, but programmers can always advance their careers by learning more about them.
    It also describes Geronimo's GBeans in minor detail:
    The primary container class in the Apache Geronimo design is the GBean. In fact, almost everything in Geronimo is a GBean. In the Apache Geronimo design, the framework manages the life cycle of the GBean class. When you deploy parts into a container, you want to start and stop them. Furthermore, GBeans can have dependencies. For example, Bean Y must be ready for Bean X to run, as Bean X must use certain services from Bean Y to function properly. In the Geronimo way of doing things, GBeans package everything that the framework must manage, especially the aforementioned dependencies. The heart and soul of Geronimo's power is in providing a framework in which developers can work with the J2EE assets they have. By wrapping your existing J2EE resources with GBean controls, you can bridge the life cycle requirements of the J2EE standard. At the heart of Geronimo is a kernel defining an Inversion of Control (IoC) framework for GBeans. The IoC framework creates an environment in which the framework can automatically manage dependencies between components.
    It's not particularly revelatory article for most TSS readers working in J2EE on a regular basis (apart from the discussion of GBeans), and it's based on J2EE 1.4 as opposed to the newer specification set. Are articles on 1.4 more useful than articles on Java EE? Message was edited by: joeo@enigmastation.com
  2. J2EE is all about defining Web services -- a fancy name for a way of defining dynamic Web pages that programs generate on the fly rather than pages that simply return flat HTML text files to the calling client browser.
    Eh? New and inventive definition.
  3. Web services != Web Services[ Go to top ]

It's not a proper definition of "Web Services", but nicely describes "Web services" (lowercase S)
  4. Re: Web services != Web Services[ Go to top ]

It's not a proper definition of "Web Services", but nicely describes "Web services" (lowercase S)
    Another case against camel case then. No, but seriously...
  5. This article is so very basic with its information and content that the obvious ploy is just to get some marketing on TSS. Well they would need marketing as this app server is hardly being used anywhere. Buzz words, marketing == desparation to get some attention. Move on.
  6. marketing == desparation to get some attention.

Move on.
    OK, so I did a little marketing study to see what the previous "Move on" poster had contributed to theserverside. Seems to be lots of Geronimo and Spring FUD and nay dare I read into it - a JBoss bias. In all fairness, I would love to see Geronimo compete against JBoss. GBeans is one of those gems that make it competitive. A planned distrubuted deployment WITH documention. How cool! The article is a J2EE 101 with a Geronimo GBean intro. I assume the audience is newbie level.
  7. +1 (on researching people's posts) Nice that it is easy to read through someone's history to see if they are serious contributors or just haters.
  8. GBeans is one of those gems that make it competitive. A planned distrubuted deployment WITH documention. How cool!
    Competitive? Really? What are you smoking?
    Seems to be lots of Geronimo and Spring FUD and nay dare I read into it - a JBoss bias
    Now I defintely want what you are smoking. 'How cool!' put 1 and 1 and got 3! 'How cool', listen, you had better stop assuming things like this, but if this is the way you connect the dots, then i'd say 'whatever floats your boat'. You are a grown man, you have experience right? So might as well start using it to form real impressions. Use the software, get the experience, then you would be able to comment.
  9. Now I defintely want what you are smoking. 'How cool!' put 1 and 1 and got 3!
    Thanks Marc. You're good at maths
  10. Now I defintely want what you are smoking. 'How cool!' put 1 and 1 and got 3!

Thanks Marc. You're good at maths
    Yes I am, thats why I have a Maths degree from Oxford.
  11. Based on how basic the information in the article is, it would make more sense that the article is really for Geronimo/J2EE newbies. Most folks on TSS are too experienced to be taken in by 'marketing'. But there are lots of people out there that this type of article is aimed at. Actually, look around a little and you’ll see that there are many beginner articles at IBM, like this one for Eclipse. or this one on PHP I don’t think I’d apply the definition of "so very basic with its information and content", equals “desperation to get some attention” to the articles on Eclipse or PHP, would you? S
  12. Power of Marketing[ Go to top ]

It's not bad to see the power of marketing of Geronimo with its GBeans ;-) I mean, this is nowadays very normal, isn't it? JOnAS has this service architecture since a long long time ago, see: http://jonas.objectweb.org/current/doc/Services.html#Services All of JOnAs services are based on this architecture. I also think that JBoss also supports this type of architecture with its microkernel architecture, see: http://wiki.jboss.org/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=JBossMicrokernel ... so nothing new ;-) The history repeats itself: -> Eclipse says : everything in Eclipse is plug-ins. -> NetBeans says : but... in NetBeans everything is also modules, so what's the different? -> Geronimo says : everyhing in Geronimo is GBeans. -> JOnAS says : but... in JOnAS everything is also services, so what's the different? -> JBoss says : but... in JBoss everything is also MBeans, so what's the different? Marketing, marketing ... Cheers, Lofi.
  13. Re: Power of Marketing[ Go to top ]

Can someone here specify how a GBean differs from a Java Management Bean (MBean)? I'm guessing it is an extension or refinement of that architecture. If it is just a renaming then I'd ask what container these days isn't using MBeans? WebSphere, Weblogic, etc - all allow dynamic inspection/configuration via MBeans. There must be something more to a GBean. ______________ George Coller DevilElephant
  14. Re: Power of Marketing[ Go to top ]

Here is a good article about GBeans (Geronimo Architecture): http://www.jaxmag.com/itr/online_artikel/psecom,id,690,nodeid,147.html A discussion about Geronimo Architecture and JBoss Microkernel Architecture - a very interesting one: http://www.theserverside.com/news/thread.tss?thread_id=34309 Cheers, Lofi.
  15. OSGi[ Go to top ]

Forget Spring, JMX: what about OSGi? It would be wonderful to have it behind Geronimo, _that_ would really make it stand out among other frameworks. Peter Kriens (OSGi's director of technology) runs a very nice blog, his latest post actually refers to this subject: http://www.osgi.org/blog/ Regards, Henrique Steckelberg
  16. Re: OSGi[ Go to top ]

Forget Spring, JMX: what about OSGi? It would be wonderful to have it behind Geronimo, _that_ would really make it stand out among other frameworks
    +1
  17. Re: Power of Marketing[ Go to top ]

Thanks, I'll add these to my reading list.
  18. I read the articles then did some googling: http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/library/os-ag-jmx/ Showed a bit more clearly that GBeans were simply an internal-to-Geronimo framework for instrumenting server components. JMX is used to expose GBeans to the outside world. The discussion link, yeah I remember reading that. Seems a bit dated now though since the Geronimo programmer was still talking about GBeans as a work in progress; whether interfaces had to be used, some of the configuration issues, etc.