BEA buys Flashline repository for AquaLogic SOA suite

Discussions

News: BEA buys Flashline repository for AquaLogic SOA suite

1. BEA Systems Inc. has announced it has purchased metadata repository vendor Flashline Inc. with the intention of adding it to BEA's AquaLogic family of SOA-enablement tools. BEA intends to brand Flashline as the BEA AquaLogic Enterprise Repository, providing a central SOA governance point for the rest of the AquaLogic product line, including its ESB, data services platform (DSP) and business process management suite.
    Ron Schmelzer, senior analyst at ZapThink LLC, noted the Systinet product BEA has been using tracks service metadata, but "now Flashline addresses part of the overall metadata management problem by tracking, governing and managing liquid assets in a common repository. This is not specifically service-oriented, but rather across projects people build and deploy with BEA technology." While Flashline integrates with any UDDI-compliant registry, Schmelzer noted that BEA might want to upgrade from being a reseller on the registry side in the future. "While there are positives in this announcement with BEA filling obvious gaps in their portfolio, the acquisition still leaves open gaps they will have to address in future additions to their solution line with regards to the SOA part of the metadata management picture," he said.
    What do you think of this announcement? A step forward for BEA?

Threaded Messages (18)

2. Hi, Read the article. What on earth are they talking about? Governance, Enterprise Services Bus, Data Services Platform? Sounds like gobbledeegook to me. If anyone knows what this stuff means please post a translation in plain English for the rest of us :^) Seriously though, pseudo technical marketing speak is one of the big problems with our industry. This kind of language may impress Managers and Strategy types, but to me as a developer it reads "Stay well clear, Marketeers on the loose and their after your money". Paul.
  3. Hi,This kind of language may impress Managers and Strategy types, but to me as a developer it reads "Stay well clear, Marketeers on the loose and their after your money".
    Probably because the target is Strategy guys and Managers, IT is not only driven by developers. Welcome to the real world ..
  4. Hi,This kind of language may impress Managers and Strategy types, but to me as a developer it reads "Stay well clear, Marketeers on the loose and their after your money".

Probably because the target is Strategy guys and Managers, IT is not only driven by developers. Welcome to the real world ..
    Excuse me.. I can't remember the last time I saw a Manager or a Strategist roll his/her sleeves up and actually use this stuff. But I guess they know best :^).
  5. I have used Flashline repository[ Go to top ]

Flashline sucks as a product. its nothing but a simple mvc application running on a database. You can add your own components, add them to categories etc. You have to do it manually one at a time. The tool doesnt go thru your version control system and figure it out automatically. So if you have say 500 or so modules with about 50 major components in each of them - think of the time you will have to put in and maintain going forward that database. Any above average programmer can develop a better component repository than flashline. BEA is foolish to pay for the tool. I bet the flashline guys are happy. :)
  6. Most of the Vendors are doing it[ Go to top ]

Every vendor is aware that there is no money left in Application server market. Since SOA is so hot(hyped up) these days, it's the most lucrative market for them. It has been a clear strategy for every vendor to provide a stack for SOA (ESB for enabling Services, Repository for service/metadata governance and tools for monitoring services/processes). Webmethods bought Cerebra to have that service governance component in their Fabric suite. IBM & Tibco have that already in their SOA stack. So, I think it's a strategic move from BEA to acquire Flashline to their SOA stack. I am not sure how this move will affect their OEM relationship with Systinet. Bijan
  7. Bijan, I assume you meant to say there is "no _growth_ left in the application server market"....because IBM, BEA and even Oracle may beg to differ. Iinstead of selling an app server, these companies will sell you(r boss) the SOA vision and oh btw, you're going to want an app server in there. They're still making money on app servers and in some cases growing app server revenue because of SOA . It’s like Sandisc selling mp3 players because the market for flash memory is being outstripped by the market for mp3 players.
  8. tracking, governing and managing liquid assets in a common repository.
    "Liquid assets"? Are we talking about beer and wine? Or maybe bodily fluids? Is this some sort of sperm bank? Consultants and vendors who spew meaningless marketecture jargon really turn me off.
  9. AquaLogic + FlashLine Makes Sense[ Go to top ]

The Flashline purchase is a good one for BEA. The AquaLogic product line needed a repository to do registry functions within SOA environments. It's a solid "check-box" feature for AquaLogic. As far as helping the BEA business bring in more sales I'm less certain. Most SOA environments I see use a governance model to identify service endpoints. There are usually only a few of these endpoints. A repository is overkill for these environments. For environments that are big enough - for instance, a company with 1000 or more applications - then a repository makes great business sense. -Frank Cohen http://www.xquerynow.com http://www.pushtotest.com
  10. Of course every ESB product competing in the larger enterprise space needs support from both run-time and development time governance products and an enhanced registry is a key part of that. However, there are several very good products of this type out there, Systinet being one, which support the ESBs from BEA, Sonic and others. So why does BEA feel compelled to buy one at this time? Are they afraid of a consolidation in this area that will leave them with at a disadvantage? Do they want insure they can always price complete solutions competitively. Six and seven years ago J2EE vendors thought they needed to own IDEs to insure their app servers were supported. Hardware vendors bought or created J2EE app servers to insure their servers had 1st tier support from somebody. Today we see Sun and IBM trying to own the full gamut of middleware and development tools necessary to support SOA (and J2EE) on their platforms. HP abandoned that approach some years ago and is well supported by many excellent independents - BEA, Sonic, etc. Ironically Sun not only offers most of the products you need for SOA, but they are also given 1st tier support by their competitor's products and the independents. And yet, they are losing money while HP and IBM prosper. I wonder which approach win out or if it makes a difference?
  11. Most of the registry companies have been quietly moving their products to provide an internal database. For instance, Systinet 2 (code named Blizzard) has its own internal XML database. Prior to this the registry came as a product that runs on your provided relational database. I speculate that having a registry of its own is also important to BEA. It's something that give more creadence to AquaLogic as a platform, and not just some sort of workflow tool. -Frank
  12. I just want to clear few things here. Systinet2(Blizard) uses a third party XML database called IPEDO embedded for storing Metadata. There is a clear distinction between Service registry and repository. Registry is a UDDI implementation and used to register & discover services, whereas Repository is used for storing the metadata(artifacts, documents, WSDL, schemas, taxonomies etc.). Repository also helps in the SOA lifecycle, service versioning as well. For large enterprises, Repository is a natural fit. Repositories require a bit more tighter integration with the other products in the SOA stack than Registries. This purchase makes a lot of sense now as Flashline is a repository(NOT registry). BEA has been bundling Systinet registry in their Aqualogic suite, but in this case decided to buy and tightly bundle Flashline than OEM Systinet Information Manager. Bijan
  13. Bijan drew the appropriate line between registries and repositories. Often you'll see them offered as combined registry/repository products, mostly so that the vendor can claim to capture -- and get ready for another buzzword here -- the entire application lifecycle. Developers are absolutely right when they note that marketing terms sound hokey, yet those terms do sometimes capture the essentials. For instance, if your dev shop wants to start building things in a service-oriented fashion, you're going to need to be able to find the components you've built previously (registry) and you're going to need some sort of central storehouse for things like security policies (repository). Reuse and building apps/services/components with certain shared resouces is part of the landscape in which we'll all be living for the forseeable future. That's why BEA is snatching up Flashline soon after HP acquired Systinet (via Mercury) while IBM is constructing its own reg/rep. The great unanswered question is what's the best way to fit all this new stuff together? Vendors and users are still feeling their way through that one. To a large extent it's the curse of living in interesting times.
  14. Man... are they feeling the JBoss heat around the corner ... :). Natural extension to Aqualogic... or it could be grasping at straws...
  15. Man... are they feeling the JBoss heat around the corner ... :). Natural extension to Aqualogic... or it could be grasping at straws...
    I see people post this line all the time on TSS. It's laughable if you actually follow the financials. BEA just posted a record Q2 (revenues, operating margin and # of license transactions done in the quarter), after posting a record Q1, which was proceeded by a record fiscal 06. The theory that JBoss is unwinding BEA's core business is nothing but hot air. AquaLogic now represents over 20% of BEA license revenues, which is sizable for a product line that was launched in June of last year. Eric BEA
  16. jboss is like eclipse[ Go to top ]

Eclipse defeated jbuilder, jboss will defeat weblogic. http://www.developerzone.biz/
  17. The AquaLogic Service Registry is used for dynamic discovery of services via UDDI while the Flashline is a metadata repository serving metadata to enable reuse of services. It's a kind of knowledge base of existing systems or better saying a portfolio management.
  18. Actually it is much more a entreprise wide registry for IT assets. It is not only a concept of service discovery, but to my understanding it is supposed to act as a assets catalogue, so that business and process analysts car know and rely on existing assets to build up their SOA based strategy. Stephan
  19. overlaps around bea adquisition[ Go to top ]

its been a while since systinet isnt only a uddi product for the descovery and binding of services both on execution or devel time. for those who doesnt know, systinet is part of mercury which is a hudge ITSM solutions provider and is focusing the systinet thing to a full service governance product, including catalogin of services and metadata asociated to it. the problem for bea i guess has to do with the fact that flashline require doesnt implement a uddi nor a ebxml service. it seems that bea is going to have to maintain a decoupled registry repository, but other providers like sun have decided to try to maintain both functionalities into a single thing on top of ebxml which seems to be more from technologies like soap webservice. take a look at the sun service registry position http://www.sun.com/products/soa/registry/ salu2