Glassbox troubleshooter 2.0 Beta Announced

Discussions

News: Glassbox troubleshooter 2.0 Beta Announced

1. Glassbox troubleshooter 2.0 Beta Announced (3 messages)

We're pleased to announce the Beta release of the open source Glassbox 2.0 automated troubleshooter. Glassbox 2.0 emphasizes automation, deploy glassbox.war to your application server and we'll walk you through the automated install and discover your existing applications. Glassbox then automatically troubleshoots and identifies many common problems, providing a concise analysis of what's wrong and focusing on pinpointing real-world problems like excessive queries, thread-contention, or what request parameters caused failures. Glassbox now offers an AJAX Web Client, improved analysis and clustered support to easily monitor Java applications. Under the hood, Glassbox continues to improve its monitoring and analysis to more easily pinpoint problems. Glassbox monitors selectively to allow low overhead data capture, and we have been working with the AspectJ project to significantly reduce memory and startup time overhead. Glassbox is all open source with our CVS repository now hosted at SourceForge. We'd love your feedback on our approach to analyzing application problems. Here is a screen shot of Glassbox in action.

Threaded Messages (3)

2. Congratulations on the Glassbox team, this is a very interesting release! Glassbox delivers the full power of AOP, applying its knowledge on unknown code at runtime. While not exactly on the same playground, your are a rather direct competitor of my own monitoring utility. Here's to healthy competition! :-) ________ MessAdmin, J2EE administration made easy
  3. install problems: javaagent[ Go to top ]

This looks like an interesting product, but I just tried to install on Tomcat 5.5.17 and had to bail because of problems with the 'javaagent' system property. The verify page told me the property hadn't been set, but the startup script seemed to make a valid reference to /opt/apache-tomcat-5.5.17/common/lib/aspectjweaver.jar. Unfortunately I don't have any more time to invest in trying this out (or to register/post to the glassbox forum).
  4. Startup Problem?[ Go to top ]

Hi Michael, I'm sorry to hear you're having problems. Most users have found the installation process with Glassbox to work very well. Did you restart the server after you walked through the installation process? If the error you saw was "the -javaagent parameter was not set", that's probably what was wrong. Of course it's also possible there's a bug in our logic to detect that the javaagent jar is present. Are you running cygwin? Could you tell us what the error message said? You could also try restarting and going to http://localhost:8080/glassbox If that works (shows you details about the Glassbox web app monitoring itself), then it's likely there's a bug in our verification logic. We'd sure appreciate you taking a few minutes to help us fix it for others. (*) When we verify the -javaagent parameter we use ManagementFactory.getRuntimeMXBean().getInputArguments(), which unfortunately doesn't handle spaces correctly, so we have to work around that too.