Discussions

News: Atlassian acquires Authentisoft

1. Atlassian acquires Authentisoft (9 messages)

Atlassian, producer of JIRA and Confluence (and host of Javablogs) has acquired Authentisoft, a company providing single-signon services through a product known as IDX. Mike Cannon-Brookes and Justen Stepka, the principles of the two companies, have both presented at TheServerSide conferences in the past, and it's expected that they'll do so in the future as well. Speaking about IDX (to be renamed to "Atlassian Crowd," as Mr. Cannon-Brookes says):
    What does it do? Single sign on for Java and J2EE applications, authentication, authorisation, identity management and application provisioning. Or to simplify - seamless logins across JIRA and Confluence, as well as other enterprise applications we find indispensible like SVN, Fisheye and Jive's Forums and Wildfire. Crowd also supports bespoke, internal J2EE applications with simple developer libraries.

Threaded Messages (9)

2. Congrats![ Go to top ]

Congratulations to Mike and Justen! Sounds like a good fit. Glad to hear some good news for the Aussies this week....
  3. Re: Atlassian acquires Authentisoft[ Go to top ]

Awesome! An answer to several of my questions ;-) (We're a happy JIRA, Confluence and IDX customer. Please integrate Jive Forums as well, and you'll have made my day!) Peace, Cameron Purdy Tangosol Coherence: Clustered Shared Memory for Java
  4. Re: Atlassian acquires Authentisoft[ Go to top ]

Awesome! An answer to several of my questions ;-)

(We're a happy JIRA, Confluence and IDX customer. Please integrate Jive Forums as well, and you'll have made my day!)

Peace,

Cameron Purdy
    Tangosol Coherence: Clustered Shared Memory for Java
    :) We actually just wrapped up an integration peice for Jive Forums 5 that works in mixed-authentication/authorization mode. best regards, Justen
  5. Re: Atlassian acquires Authentisoft[ Go to top ]

It will be interesting to hear from Atlassian whether they use it for Authentication or for Authorization as well.
  6. Re: Atlassian acquires Authentisoft[ Go to top ]

It will be interesting to hear from Atlassian whether they use it for Authentication or for Authorization as well.
    It provides as an SSO server, external user management/storage, connection to other user repositories and application provisioning (ie deciding which users can use which connected applications). Think of it as Atlassian's direct attack on the evil Novell/SiteMinder/Active Directories of the world. A neat, simple, effective $5k piece of Java-based server software that enables you to throw out a few $100k of big sales pitch, enterprise whitepaperware with something that _actually_ works. Oh, it also provides us with a great way to connect JIRA, Confluence and any other applications in the future. Additionally you'll be able to quickly integration your existing or new web-application to participate in SSO with identity management features.
  7. as long as you don't forget the rest of us who already have SSO infrastructures in place and standardise on one of the "evil" implementations already....
  8. Surprised no one has mentioned CAS[ Go to top ]

SSO seems like a commodity with something as effective as CAS. I mean I can see people paying for a tool with a better interface slapped on top of it and the ability to adapt to existing authentication providers, but what's to stop people from just taking CAS and doing this in an open souce project.
  9. SSO seems like a commodity with something as effective as CAS. I mean I can see people paying for a tool with a better interface slapped on top of it and the ability to adapt to existing authentication providers, but what's to stop people from just taking CAS and doing this in an open souce project.
    Technologically SSO is not a formidable challenge. Of all things SSO related, web SSO is the low hanging fruit. But it is not the SSO that is bigger challenge. It is the people and logistics aspect of SSO/IAM that has kept decent sized companies paying top dollars for IdM tools. Moreover it is not web sso that keeps big company execs up at night. It is the effective (or lack thereof) Identity and Access Management and consequent non-compliance in the auditing (and the resulting imprisonment !!) is the driving factor. As long as open source community does not come up with a effective and integrated identity and access management solution complete with auditing and compliance (runtime tracking and reporting) solution , there are no viable alternatives left but to pay top dollars. Oh and by the way: In this day and age, the very word compliance is enough to attact million dollar budgeting of IdM projects.
  10. Re: Atlassian acquires Authentisoft[ Go to top ]

Great!!!!... We are very happy to use IDx in future as a JIRA/Confluence customer.. Ravi