Discussions

News: Develop Java EE app on Apache Geronimo with Spring

1. Develop Java EE app on Apache Geronimo with Spring (13 messages)

Apache Geronimo is making news with its latest release, version 1.1. At its core is the Inversion Of Control (IoC) model, which is aso the core pattern for the Spring Framework. The Spring Framework was built on the principle that Java EE should be easier to use. This article provides information about the Spring Framework modules and how they relate to developing Java EE applications on Geronimo. Since it's only the first article, it covers Spring more than the actual process of developing Java EE on Geronimo, but it's decent as a basis for learning more. It requires a developerWorks ID.

Threaded Messages (13)

2. Well, isn't great that IBM forces us to register with them just to read articles...
  3. Pointless fluff[ Go to top ]

This has to be one of the most misleading titles I've seen in a while. All I see is part 1, which spends the whole time discussing Spring, and why it's a good thing. There's one page that says that Geronimo is also great, but of course, make nothing more than the usual wild arm motions we've used to seeing from the Geronimo crowd. There is no mention of Java EE, nor of anything that has anything to do with Geronimo. It's basically the Spring intro articles we've been seeing for the last 3 years, with a perplexing title. It's 'decent as a basis for learning more' in the same way as every other Spring article is. Here I was, foolishly expecting an article that talked about pitchfork integration with Geronimo, but (unsurprisingly) the article insteads proves yet again why Geronimo is nothing but an IBM sales pitch, catering to marketoids on one extreme, and insane hippy oss lalaland hackbunnies on the other. How they expect to succeed when they consistently ignore everyone between those two extremes is a modern day marvel.
  4. Marketing FUD[ Go to top ]

Another pointless spin tactic to get the community to use spring and geronimo. Why do people insist in forcing these 2 dated/play catchup technologies down our throats? Spring is now just bloatware, its just a bunch of helper classes that any good developer can write without now putting this viral code into projects. Geronimo, well alas, nobody is even using it in production, this is just pure marketing nonsense. I have recommend to clients that they go for poduction grade app servers like weblogic or if opensource, for pedigree like Jonas & JBoss.
  5. Spring FUD[ Go to top ]

Raymond, anyone who spends any time reading the serverside knows that you don't like Spring. We knew that from your previous post, the one before, the one before that, the other one, and the one before that one. Funnily enough I (along with many others) still find Spring extremely useful and productive however many times we read your posts. Glad you like to spend your time re-inventing the wheel by not using quality existing 'helper classes' but prefer to do it yourself. Glad also someone is willing to pay you to do this. Any 'good developer' should use the best resources available to them to assist them in delivering quality solutions. Anyone who doesn't is a bad developer.
  6. Re: Spring FUD[ Go to top ]

These are the experiences I have when being asked by companies to help them. I'm sorry you feel this was but it is the truth and all but one of the companies agreed. The one company that did not agree was based in the UK whereby springs front company had planted someone there. Therefore it was in their interests to see money comming in. I'm glad that you find spring productive, buy into it now, pay later. Have fun!
  7. Re: Spring FUD[ Go to top ]

...buy into it now, pay later..
    Actually bought into it a year ago and still not paying for it (quite the opposite). How much longer will I have to wait ??
  8. Re: Spring FUD[ Go to top ]

Actually bought into it a year ago and still not paying for it (quite the opposite). How much longer will I have to wait ??
    You have already paid for it, you moron. Look at your mindset.
  9. Re: Spring FUD[ Go to top ]

There used be "Mark as nosiy" feature here on TSS , too sad we don't have it anymore.
  10. Re: Spring FUD[ Go to top ]

Raymond, At the risk of getting embroiled in this childish name calling session, I am interested in hearing a little more about your problems with Spring (which, aside from a few minor contributions to Acegi, I am not connected to). It seems to me that rolling your own 'helper' classes just increases the maintainence and debugging load on projects. Clearly no code is bug-free, including Spring, but it has more testers and maintainers that my proprietry solutions would have. I am not declaring your opinion invalid, I would just like to hear some specifics.
  11. Re: Spring FUD[ Go to top ]

oh dear Raymond
  12. Re: Marketing FUD[ Go to top ]

Raymond, re: "nobody is even using it in production" You may be interested in eBay's use of Apache Geronimo: http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2006/07/geronimo_rides.html (Note: There isn't as much meat on eBay's use of Geronimo as I would have liked to see in the article, but I put it forward to you as but one example of a non-nobody using Geronimo in production. The last part of the article where it states we may be watching the stealth arrival of the next $350 million piece of open-source software is logically incorrect. The Apache community isn't a company and hence can't be purchased. ) Savio
  13. Re: Marketing FUD[ Go to top ]

Savio [Quote] By its own account, eBay is using Geronimo in limited production settings [/Quote] Running a simple web application for internal use on a single instance, is not really what I was referring to when compared to production systems that deal with a large throughput of requests in a clustered environment. The important thing to note is that there are other alternatives to jboss such as jonas, and a poorer alternative geronimo (the poor mans j2ee app server).
  14. Re: Marketing FUD[ Go to top ]

Raymond, fair point. I do not know how eBay is using Geronimo. But I suspect you don't know with a reasonable degree of accuracy that eBay's use of Geronimo is "running a simple web application for internal use on a single instance". This underlines an issue/positive aspect with Apache projects in general. For the most part, the Apache community doesn't spend time marketing itself or highlighting customers using their products. I guess this is why your claims that nobody is using Geronimo in production seem a little out there to me. Savio