Discussions

News: ExecuteQuery 3.0, SQL tool, released

1. ExecuteQuery 3.0, SQL tool, released (10 messages)

ExecuteQuery 3.0, a free tool for database management, has been released. It features query management, ERD generation, import/export capabilities, and more. The main changes for this release seem to be focused around the GUI, which has been changed to a tabbed interface for ease of use. ExecuteQuery can connect to any database for which JDBC support exists.

Threaded Messages (10)

2. I've just tried it and ... it's quite difficult to configure and use compared to Oracle SQL Developer, but it supports all JDBC-enabled DBMSs, doesn't it?
  3. Wow, after reading other posts, I should give it a deeper try.
  4. Looks very interesting, but I can't get it to understand DB2 Views. You can see the views, but it appears to only see tables during import/export.
  5. GREAT STUFF![ Go to top ]

I just downloaded the tiny JAR, executed it, added my Oracle JDBC driver, added a new Connection with my JDBC URL and bingo! Everything works right out of the box! Reverse-engineered the DB to generate a nice ERD, threw some queries at my DB and then exported the results to a CSV file. This tool satisfies most of my DB Admin needs and blow my current corporate tools away considering ease of use and overall value. Keep up the great work! Only downer: the Export to XML and Excel throw the following exception when I click on them. [10:55:07] java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException [10:55:07] at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method) [10:55:07] at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source) [10:55:07] at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source) [10:55:07] at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source) [10:55:07] at org.underworldlabs.swing.actions.ReflectiveAction.actionPerformed(ReflectiveAction.java:72) [10:55:07] at org.executequery.gui.browser.ConnectionsTreePanel$PopupMenuActionListener.actionPerformed(ConnectionsTreePanel.java:1624) [10:55:07] at javax.swing.AbstractButton.fireActionPerformed(Unknown Source) [10:55:07] at javax.swing.AbstractButton$Handler.actionPerformed(Unknown Source) [10:55:07] at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(Unknown Source) [10:55:07] at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.setPressed(Unknown Source) [10:55:07] at javax.swing.AbstractButton.doClick(Unknown Source) [10:55:07] at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicMenuItemUI.doClick(Unknown Source) [10:55:07] at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicMenuItemUI$Handler.mouseReleased(Unknown Source) [10:55:07] at java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source) [10:55:07] at javax.swing.JComponent.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source) [10:55:07] at java.awt.Component.processEvent(Unknown Source) [10:55:07] at java.awt.Container.processEvent(Unknown Source) [10:55:07] at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source) [10:55:07] at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source) [10:55:07] at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source) [10:55:07] at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Unknown Source) [10:55:07] at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source) [10:55:07] at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source) [10:55:07] at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source) [10:55:07] at java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source) [10:55:07] at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source) [10:55:07] at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source) [10:55:07] at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy(Unknown Source) [10:55:07] at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source) [10:55:07] at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source) [10:55:07] at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source) [10:55:07] at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source) [10:55:07] Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException [10:55:07] at org.underworldlabs.jdbc.PooledConnection.close(PooledConnection.java:151) [10:55:07] at org.executequery.databasemediators.MetaDataValues.closeConnection(MetaDataValues.java:1028) [10:55:07] at org.executequery.databasemediators.MetaDataValues.releaseResources(MetaDataValues.java:1203) [10:55:07] at org.executequery.databasemediators.MetaDataValues.releaseResources(MetaDataValues.java:1194) [10:55:07] at org.executequery.databasemediators.MetaDataValues.getTables(MetaDataValues.java:1636) [10:55:07] at org.executequery.gui.importexport.ImportExportPanel_2.schemaComboSelection(ImportExportPanel_2.java:342) [10:55:07] at org.executequery.gui.importexport.ImportExportPanel_2.setListData(ImportExportPanel_2.java:259) [10:55:07] at org.executequery.gui.importexport.ImportExportXMLPanel.doNext(ImportExportXMLPanel.java:413) [10:55:07] at org.executequery.gui.importexport.ImportExportXMLPanel.access$100(ImportExportXMLPanel.java:55) [10:55:07] at org.executequery.gui.importexport.ImportExportXMLPanel$TransferXMLWizardModel.next(ImportExportXMLPanel.java:600) [10:55:07] at org.underworldlabs.swing.wizard.WizardProcessPanel.next(WizardProcessPanel.java:445) [10:55:07] at org.executequery.gui.importexport.ImportExportXMLPanel.(ImportExportXMLPanel.java:130) [10:55:07] at org.executequery.gui.browser.ConnectionsTreePanel$PopupMenuActionListener.importExportDialog(ConnectionsTreePanel.java:1768) [10:55:07] at org.executequery.gui.browser.ConnectionsTreePanel$PopupMenuActionListener.exportXml(ConnectionsTreePanel.java:1721) [10:55:07] ... 32 more
  6. Re: GREAT STUFF![ Go to top ]

Oh, just closed and reopened my connection and guess what... The XML and Excel Export now work! W00T! You know what would even cooler? Import Excel... ;o)
  7. difficult[ Go to top ]

why is it so difficult to configure... especially for drivers? it should be able to find all the drivers for the jars in the lib directory at least. the erd functionality looks pretty nice - a plus over SQL Squirrel, but I couldn't find how to do auto-layout after changing what fields were display. the program has a nice look to it but definitely not a nice 'feel' -- it is not intuitive.
  8. i agree - very nice[ Go to top ]

i like it!! its relatively easy to use drivers were no issue and connections made pretty easily (stuffed up first attempt but then ok). i prefer driver selection using a browse button than dumping in lib directory. i have one place for all my jdbc drivers and this saves me copying them everywhere and updating all later. no issues with the drivers and picking them up. query editor is very nice. executing many statements and getting many result sets was really cool. just tried the data type comparison tool with oracle and mssql2000. thats gonna be useful! cool idea. haven't tried import or export. erd needs a diagram sorter or something, wouldn't be easiest thing to do i imagine. also just noticed they have a bug fix update already. cool tool. George.
  9. Auto-complete in Query Editor?[ Go to top ]

Well, I've been using this dandy tool for quite a while today... Here are a few nice to haves for the next release: Auto-complete in the Query Editor for tables, views, columns would be quite useful and should be easy enough to implement considering all the schema info is already available... Also, limiting the Connection view to one or more chosen schemas would be useful too...
  10. It is still not in the same league with Aqua Data Studio, but it is free... Beyound auto-complete, execution-plan and others, I think that editing stored procedures (meaning code -procedure/fuctions, users' object types etc.- managed and runned by the dbms) it is a must.
  11. Executing Stored Procedure???[ Go to top ]

I tried executing stored procedure from Query Editor like call schemaX.procname('INPUT1', 'INPUT2', ?) as '?' is an output parameter. It says 'Procedure call was invalid' Then tried 'Execute Store Objects' options, it doesn't seem to recognize output parameter. It complains '[SQL0440] Routine PROCNAME in SCHEMAX not found with specified parameters.' Other tools like DbVisualizer executes the above call. Since I couldn't execute the stored proc, not sure if this tool will return the output parameter. DBViz doesn't, only returns the result set.