Tech Talk: Max Katz on Ajax for JSF

Discussions

News: Tech Talk: Max Katz on Ajax for JSF

1. Tech Talk: Max Katz on Ajax for JSF (8 messages)

In this tech talk, given at JavaOne in May, Exadel senior systems engineer Max Katz discusses how well Exadel VCP, a component library for Ajax and JSF, simplifies development with a component-based approach. Topics include:
    • Issues around learning Ajax and JSF
    • How Ajax works with JSF
    • What components are supported in the Ajax for JSF library
    • How well Ajax for JSF scales
    • Testing Ajax-JSF applications
    • Issues with using Eclipse
    • Capabilities provided around Hibernate
    • The target audience for Ajax for JSF
    What do you think of Ajax for JSF? In your opinion, how well do the two work together?
  2. ajax4jsf and ADF faces[ Go to top ]

Anyone tests ajax4jsf using ADF-faces tags?
  3. ajax4jsf and ADF/trinidad[ Go to top ]

ajax4jsf and ADF/trinidad doesn't work togther..
  4. it cannot work with apache myface[ Go to top ]

I've got exception to have ajax4jsf with myface
  5. About Ajax4jsf and MyFaces[ Go to top ]

take a look at http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/jw-09-2006/jw-0911-jsf.html and welcome to our users@ mailing list at https://ajax4jsf.dev.java.net/servlets/ProjectMailingListList . Many people who are there uses Ajax4jsf and MyFaces in their project.
  6. IMHO JSF is to complex. Mix JSF with AJAX and you'll double the complexity. GWT is user friendly - users like dynamic web apps. Simple - it is as simple as writing thick application with swing or swt(much simpler then swt I should say). Proven - look at gmail, google maps, google calendar - these applications are high quality stable and can work under high load. Fast - comparing to echo2 it is lightnting fast Less error prone - you can write lot of tests for UI that you can't do using Struts,Stripes,JSF. What things JSF+AJAX can do that GWT can't? --Mark
  7. In short: GWT does not provide anything on the server side that JSF offers except the pure RPC call with data marshaling. GWT is an alternative way how to write Javascript applications developing on Java (It is a fun to develop in such manner until facing the bug in beta). GWT is a client side technology. In contrast, JSF is a server side technology. I have written about benefits of their integration in my article, here on theServerSide.com: Integrating the Google Web Toolkit with JSF using G4jsf. If we speak about Ajax as a bunch of Javascript, mixing it with anything (does not matter with that) is tripling the complexity. The one of the major reason for our Ajax4jsf Open Source Project is kicking our Javascript from the scene. P.S. I am not sure I understand your prove correctly. Do you believe gmail, google maps and google calendar are created with GWT?
  8. Hello, just one naive question: What else do I need on the server except for some Services that wrap my Business Logic. What is the real benefit on having something like UI-State on the Server? Is UI not the natural concern of the client? Well, in contrast to Struts, JSF is a leap forward, but maybe the page flow oriented thinking in webapps is getting obsolete somehow... Why should one add a complex thing like JSF to a system when having a UI that builds on Services is suffcient. The very same services could even be easily consumed by non UI clients.
  9. In short: GWT does not provide anything on the server side that JSF offers except the pure RPC call with data marshaling.
    What else do you need? IMHO It's much better to store presentation data on client than on server. If you server application is statless you have less load on server and you can add load balancing by simply adding another web server (no complex clustering with session sharing needed).
    GWT is an alternative way how to write Javascript applications developing on Java (It is a fun to develop in such manner until facing the bug in beta). GWT is a client side technology. In contrast, JSF is a server side technology.
    Wrong: GWT application works on server and client side. The question reamains: what are the benefits of JSF+AJAX over GWT?