Migrating to Struts Action Framework from Struts 1

Discussions

News: Migrating to Struts Action Framework from Struts 1

1. InfoQ has posted Ian Roughley's look at converting a Struts 1 application to the new Struts Action Framework (which used to be WebWork.) The application is the typical weblog application, and the article shows the UML for each architecture to show how Struts AF can be considered an improvement. It uses the ModelDriven approach for Struts AF, as opposed to being more action-driven, but this approach is likely to be more familiar for Struts programmers. It's an interesting article, not only because Struts programmers will be interested in migrating to a "new Struts," but because it shows how different the frameworks really are. If the frameworks are so different, should they even share the name of "Struts," or should they have been kept separate?
  2. Minor correction: It's Struts 2[ Go to top ]

Minor correction: the project is titled Struts 2, not Struts Action Framework. The Struts Action Framework was a name that we played with while Shale was with us, but now that it has moved on, we went back to the simple "Struts" name.
  3. I'm thinking about calling it WebWork. :-| <-- Seriously
  4. I'm thinking about calling it WebWork. :-| <-- Seriously</blockquote> Is it that hard to conceive of a friendly merger between two projects? Both groups of developers wanted to stop working on two code bases and merge it into one. We could either have picked Struts or WebWork or created a new name, but considering that Struts has the largest community and name recognition, we went with Struts. It is kinda sad to me how difficult a merger, the ultimate form of collaboration, would be to grasp in the Open Source community, one supposedly known for its collaboration.
  5. It is kinda sad to me how difficult a merger, the ultimate form of collaboration, would be to grasp in the Open Source community, one supposedly known for its collaboration.
    I've kind of lost track. What is Struts 2 actually based on? Is it an actual merger of the codebases? New codebase? Logical refactoring/future development of WebWork, or what?
  6. It is kinda sad to me how difficult a merger, the ultimate form of collaboration, would be to grasp in the Open Source community, one supposedly known for its collaboration.

I've kind of lost track. What is Struts 2 actually based on? Is it an actual merger of the codebases? New codebase? Logical refactoring/future development of WebWork, or what?
    I wrote a history of Struts 2 post at OnJava that should answer your questions. :)