Strecks (Struts extensions for Java 5) version 1.0 released

Discussions

News: Strecks (Struts extensions for Java 5) version 1.0 released

1. I'm pleased to announce the release of Strecks 1.0. Strecks is a set of Java 5-specific extensions to the original Struts framework. For more information, see http://strecks.sourceforge.net/features.php. Making heavy use of Java 5 annotations, Strecks adds a number of modern features to Struts-based applications, including POJO actions, dependency injection, declarative validation and data binding, interceptors, pluggable views, as well as seamless Spring integration. It is also highly extensible and amenable to test driven development. The aim of Strecks has been to address the most widely perceived inadequacies of the original Struts programming model while still allowing full backward compatibility of applications. Strecks works with the most recent general availability Struts versions (1.2.8 and 1.3.5), but at the same time allows developers to work with advanced features expected from modern application frameworks. Strecks offers an enhanced programming model for actions and forms, while working with existing unchanged templating and configuration mechanisms. Strecks is aimed at developers who:
    • have a significant existing investment in the current version of Struts, either in terms of knowledge or existing code
    • are not currently ready or willing to take the pain of migrating to the forthcoming Struts 2.0 (based on WebWork) or another web framework
    • want to take advantage of advanced features not available in vanilla Struts but increasingly so in other frameworks
    Message was edited by: joeo@enigmastation.com

Threaded Messages (11)

2. Very useful[ Go to top ]

Congratulations for this project. There are a lot of companies who won't throw away years of investment in "classic" struts. Your project will make developers in these companies happier. In fact, evolutionary non-revolutionary improvements like these should be integrated into the main project. Struts is a very well established framework, and many big projects will stay with it for years without upgrading to another new'n'tasty components-continuations-and-ajax-based framework.
  3. Re: Very useful[ Go to top ]

Struts is a very well established framework, and many big projects will stay with it for years without upgrading to another new'n'tasty components-continuations-and-ajax-based framework.
    What do these people behind those components-continuations-and-ajax-based frameworks think anyway? Are they trying to save the world or something? Man, imagine how wonderful the world would be without all that blasted innovation.
  4. Re: Very useful[ Go to top ]

Struts is a very well established framework, and many big projects will stay with it for years without upgrading to another new'n'tasty components-continuations-and-ajax-based framework.

What do these people behind those components-continuations-and-ajax-based frameworks think anyway? Are they trying to save the world or something? Man, imagine how wonderful the world would be without all that blasted innovation.
    I think you are missing his point. That many established projects and web teams are very conservative about upgrading to the newest frameworks. Having libraries and tools that help make classic-struts easier is nice for a certain development team audience. That said, has anybody used this library yet? Any reviews?
  5. Re: Very useful[ Go to top ]

I think you are missing his point.
    I was merely making mine.
  6. Re: Very useful[ Go to top ]

That said, has anybody used this library yet? Any reviews?
    Especially a comparison with Struts 2 and Stripes.
  7. Re: Very useful[ Go to top ]

That many established projects and web teams are very conservative about upgrading to the newest frameworks. Having libraries and tools that help make classic-struts easier is nice for a certain development team audience.
    I agree, there are always going to be conservative teams/organizations that want to stick with Struts 1.x because it is what they've used forever. That said, wouldn't those generally be the same companies that are averse to upgrading to Java 5? Looking at the feature list for Strecks, it's hard to see how it'd be less ramp-up time to start using Strecks that it would to be to move to Struts 2 or Stripes. In most cases I believe it's possible to run Struts 1.x and another framework (Struts 2 for example) in the same container during a transition. The large flip side to this is that a lot of people are moving to Stripes for the simple reason that not having to maintain backwards compatibility to Struts makes it vastly simpler (in dependencies, configuration, programming model etc.). In the end I think Strecks is targetting a different group of developers - those stuck with Struts 1.x, and I'm sure they'll appreciate it! -Tim Fennell Stripes: Because web development should just be easier
  8. Re: Very useful[ Go to top ]

That said, wouldn't those generally be the same companies that are averse to upgrading to Java 5?
    Boy, you'd think so but I've been on two jobs where Java 5 was just fine but considering anything other than classic Struts was off the table. Classic struts developers is what the body shop developers know so it is easy to staff. To be fair the allowance for Java 5 on the current project came as a side effect of moving to JBoss from Websphere. Actually, struts seems to be THE major open-source framework that has such a brand name that it will be nearly impossible to get some companies to change. Switching to Spring or X-Fire? No problem but change UI frameworks? Nope. Maybe it is because management understands UI better than other parts of the system. Requisitions tend to be for struts developers not UI developers. Anyway, our hope is that Struts 2.0 will be the answer for getting a more modern framework in house.
  9. Re: Very useful[ Go to top ]

About six to nine months ago, there were a few jobs advertised in Australia for JSF skills. Now they disappear completely.
  10. Re: Very useful[ Go to top ]

About six to nine months ago, there were a few jobs advertised in Australia for JSF skills. Now they disappear completely.
    I don't think that's indicative as the market as a whole. JSF is growing quite well: http://www.indeed.com/jobtrends?q=%28%28jsf+and+java%29+or+%22javaserver+faces%22+or+%22java+server+faces%22%29. Kito D. Mann - Author, JavaServer Faces in Action http://www.JSFCentral.com - JavaServer Faces FAQ, news, and info
  11. Re: Very useful[ Go to top ]

I just said that many big projects are based on struts and will stay that way for years. Struts is good-enough for many teams and projects. There are environments where there has been a lot of investment in struts knowledge and man/hours. In these environments, they don't care about the latest improvements in new non-struts frameworks, but they do care about improvements in their current development stack, and that's the audience I think this project is intended for. I'm not trying to save anyone from any innovation. Actually, I DO care about new'n'tasty components-continuations-and-ajax-based frameworks out there :)
  12. Re: Very useful[ Go to top ]

Actually, I DO care about new'n'tasty components-continuations-and-ajax-based frameworks out there :)
    I was just being a smartass ;)