Discussions

News: NetBeans 5.5 has been released

1. NetBeans 5.5 has been released (40 messages)

NetBeans 5.5, Sun's rich client platform and IDE, has been released. With the various add-on packs, NetBeans 5.5 includes the Swing GUI builder (formerly Matisse), much-improved JSF support, full Java EE support, C/C++ development, an application profiler, a debugger, and development capabilities targeted at mobile devices. The formal release date is October 31, 2006, but the product is downloadable today. This release also has a technology preview of the NetBeans Visual Web Pack, which is an add-on that integrates many of the features of Java Studio Creator into the NetBeans IDE. As a technology preview, some features may not work properly, but this bundles visual JSF development into NetBeans. The Enterprise pack provides the ability to work with BPEL, identity management, and XML Schema; the base IDE includes Java EE development capabilities. This release of NetBeans includes speed improvements over 5.0 (and 4.1 as well), and it's worth a look, even if only to see what others are using. Sun says that, based on Update Center usage, NetBeans' user community is growing constantly (although exact numbers aren't available, due to various constraints). This release, with its collaboration features (able to share projects in such a fashion that all collaborators can update code) provides features that can only improve NetBeans' market penetration.

Threaded Messages (40)

2. The formal release date is October 31, 2007
    It's a long wait for a train don't come :)
  3. The formal release date is October 31, 2007

It's a long wait for a train don't come :)
    Wellll.... BLEAGH. Sorry about that. It's been fixed; I don't know why I'm typing 2007 already.
  4. I've been playing with the betas for some time and I'm very impressed. This is an EXCELLENT tool. Out of the box it provides most things you need for building almost any kind of Java app...web/gui, etc. Looking forward to the Visual web pack. Congrats to the Netbeans team for all of their hard work! Mike
  5. Downloadable??[ Go to top ]

It's been hours, but the download page keeps on saying "Error Nothing found". The page I've been refreshing is http://www.netbeans.info/downloads/index.php . Is netbeans now downloadable? Or I'd better go on keeping myself an eclipse fan.
  6. Re: Downloadable??[ Go to top ]

Try on the link: http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/ :-D I'm joking! I'm an Eclipse fan. But I have to notice that NetBeans has an impressive number of features. It has some "drawbacks": - It is too slow; - Its project definition is not so powerfull as Eclipse's. - You cannot configure deeply the compilation process (i.e.: in Eclipse you can set many warnings and errors for many cases: if you don't comment a method, eclipse says it to you with a warning); - You cannot define more that one runner for a project; - The Eclipse indentation engine is more advanced; - The UML plugin is not at JDeveloper level; - The Swing designer is not at JBuilder level. Another good ide is JDeveloper, it is fast as Eclipse, it is growing very much, and it has a great UML plugin. I don't know which ide is the best in the java world, but I think that Eclipse , JBuilder and JDeveloper are a bit better than NetBeans. Bye.
  7. Re: Downloadable??[ Go to top ]

I don't know which ide is the best in the java world, but I think that Eclipse , JBuilder and JDeveloper are a bit better than NetBeans.

Bye.
    That IDE is called IntelliJ IDEA. Yet to find anything that comes close. Ilya
  8. Re: Downloadable??[ Go to top ]

I don't know which ide is the best in the java world, but I think that Eclipse , JBuilder and JDeveloper are a bit better than NetBeans.

Bye.

That IDE is called IntelliJ IDEA. Yet to find anything that comes close.

Ilya
    Yeah, I had a good time with IDEA with an evaluation license. Its code editor is absolutely the No. 1 among all Java IDEs. But I just can't afford it :(
  9. Re: Downloadable??[ Go to top ]

Bye.

That IDE is called IntelliJ IDEA. Yet to find anything that comes close.

Ilya

Yeah, I had a good time with IDEA with an evaluation license. Its code editor is absolutely the No. 1 among all Java IDEs. But I just can't afford it :(
    Why can't you afford it, are you a student? I think any professional java developer can invest the $250 for a license that will boost their productivity and make the day more joyful, even if you have to dig in your own pocket. Ilya
  10. Re: Downloadable??[ Go to top ]

Uhm, the license is $500: http://www.jetbrains.com/idea/buy/buy.html Unless if I am missing some super special discount :)
  11. Re: Downloadable??[ Go to top ]

Uhm, the license is $500:
    http://www.jetbrains.com/idea/buy/buy.html

Unless if I am missing some super special discount :)
    http://www.jetbrains.com/idea/buy/personal.html Personal license, for developers purchasing it with their own funds:-) Basically I think the difference is that it's not transferable as the commercial license is. Also even $500 is peanuts compared to the productivity gain. Ilya
  12. Re: Downloadable??[ Go to top ]

Uhm, the license is $500:
    http://www.jetbrains.com/idea/buy/buy.html

Unless if I am missing some super special discount :)
    A personal license is only $250 for a professional, less if you are a student. This is a *daily* special.
  13. As I was thinking the UML tool came with NetBeans Enterprise Pack was superior, as well as the one in Sun Java Studio Enterprise. I've never given a chance to made-in-Oracle Java applications :)
  14. JEE Support...[ Go to top ]

...out of the box - NOW. JDeveloper - yes. Eclipse - no. IDEA - no. It's free, doesn't bite, and written in pure Java.
  15. Re: JEE Support...[ Go to top ]

...out of the box - NOW.

JDeveloper - yes.
    Eclipse - no.
    IDEA - no.

It's free, doesn't bite, and written in pure Java.
    That depends on what you mean by JEE support... IDEA supports JEE out of the box as well... http://www.jetbrains.com/idea/features/newfeatures.html#jee Also, let's stop equating out of the box as some sort of a great feature. Out of the box and/or 2 minutes to install a plugin really doesn't matter. As a matter of fact, I'd rather have it optional, as not everyone is developing JEE applications. Ilya
  16. Re: JEE Support...[ Go to top ]

Also, let's stop equating out of the box as some sort of a great feature. Out of the box and/or 2 minutes to install a plugin really doesn't matter. As a matter of fact, I'd rather have it optional, as not everyone is developing JEE applications.

Ilya
    Having had to deal with plugin version issues in some IDEs, I personally think that out-of-the box certainly is at the very least highly convenient. I can't honestly see a reason for not including JEE support, as although it is true that not everyone is using it, JEE is the primary development target for Java applications. I don't see any issue about JEE support being included, as if you don't use it in a project, it surely shouldn't impact your development. NetBeans has improved beyond recognition in recent years, I am somewhat surprised at the number of posts here suggesting alternative IDEs or complaining about the product. I believe that the NetBeans team deserve praise and congratulations; it is a high-quality free product.
  17. Re: JEE Support...[ Go to top ]

...out of the box - NOW.

JDeveloper - yes.
    Eclipse - no.
    IDEA - no.

Nothing agains Netbeans, but free shouldn't be a major deciding factor. Only software developers would use these tools, and a software developer who cannot afford even the $500 hit for a tool they will use for almost 8 hrs a day for over 300 days a year may not be having a very successful career. I buy my own books, some of my own hardware for the productivity gains the invested has paid off handsomely.
  18. $500 -vs- free[ Go to top ]

...out of the box - NOW.

JDeveloper - yes.
    Eclipse - no.
    IDEA - no.

Nothing agains Netbeans, but free shouldn't be a major deciding factor. Only software developers would use these tools, and a software developer who cannot afford even the $500 hit for a tool they will use for almost 8 hrs a day for over 300 days a year may not be having a very successful career.

I buy my own books, some of my own hardware for the productivity gains the invested has paid off handsomely.
    I'm quoting you but really this answer applies to several other posts as well. I can see how buying my own books, and hardward(which I do) translates into better jobs and therefore more money, but how does being more productive get me any more money ? I work for an employer and get paid as long as I do my job. Being more productive, and since I'm not using vi, emacs or notepad I'd argue how much more productive, doesn't translate into increased earnings for me. And who's out there working over 300 days a year ? Take a vacation already. Or at least weekends. ;-)
  19. Re: $500 -vs- free[ Go to top ]

...out of the box - NOW.

JDeveloper - yes.
    Eclipse - no.
    IDEA - no.

Nothing agains Netbeans, but free shouldn't be a major deciding factor. Only software developers would use these tools, and a software developer who cannot afford even the $500 hit for a tool they will use for almost 8 hrs a day for over 300 days a year may not be having a very successful career.

I buy my own books, some of my own hardware for the productivity gains the invested has paid off handsomely.

I'm quoting you but really this answer applies to several other posts as well.

I can see how buying my own books, and hardward(which I do) translates into better jobs and therefore more money, but how does being more productive get me any more money ? I work for an employer and get paid as long as I do my job.

Being more productive, and since I'm not using vi, emacs or notepad I'd argue how much more productive, doesn't translate into increased earnings for me.

And who's out there working over 300 days a year ? Take a vacation already. Or at least weekends. ;-)
    Well, let's say your hardware was a Pentium II with 256 megs of ram. You would work slower and be less productive, right? :-) The more I can do in an 8 hr period, the better my performance, the more money I earn. At least this is how it has been in my experience. If I perform well, this is the difference between maybe a 2% verses an 6% raise because my company would want to keep me. Everytime we propose a solution that meets or exceeds the customers expectations about time and cost, we win a customer. The more customers we have, the better the raises are. It is all tied together, at least at our shop. How about 280? :-) Whatever ever a standard number of days are, it is a lot and $500 over that time is money well spent? Besides, Idea is a fun tool. I enjoy using it. Anything that makes the job enjoyable tranlates to more productivity.
  20. j2ee?...[ Go to top ]

IntelliJ IDEA does support J2EE "out of the box". I know, I helped write the [url=http://www.amazon.com/IntelliJ-IDEA-Action-Duane-Fields/dp/1932394443/]book[/url].
  21. Re: j2ee?...[ Go to top ]

IntelliJ IDEA does support J2EE "out of the box". I know, I helped write the book.
    Again, the question is what do you mean by support of J2EE? Code generation, or schema support for deployment artifacts, etc...? IDEA has everything I need to develop JEE apps without getting in my way. It's definitely for power users though, at least they benefit from it the most. Some folks just want to generate all code at the click of a button and add some functionality. IDEA can do it, but it's not it's main strength, nor should it be. Ilya
  22. Re: j2ee?...[ Go to top ]

IntelliJ IDEA does support J2EE "out of the box". I know, I helped write the book.

Again, the question is what do you mean by support of J2EE? Code generation, or schema support for deployment artifacts, etc...? IDEA has everything I need to develop JEE apps without getting in my way. It's definitely for power users though, at least they benefit from it the most. Some folks just want to generate all code at the click of a button and add some functionality. IDEA can do it, but it's not it's main strength, nor should it be.

Ilya
    Actually sorry, for some reason I thought you said doesn't:-) Agree, it has all the support one needs really. Ilya
  23. Some people here are using this thread to promote their product. So to the end user who reads it, all will be just marketing stuff and bluffs.
  24. JDeveloper is another good IDE in hiding and not very popular as I see in blogs. I believe Oracle need to go for some aggressive advertising. Eclipse (with MyEclipseIDE and other modules like TPTP, BIRT etc) is a great Platform/IDE but as of today I believe it is lagging behind in features like Visual Web Development, JEE5, SOA and UML which other free IDE's are providing (JDeveloper and Netbeans)at this moment. Of course JDeveloper has been leader in this category for a while. Anyway coming to Netbeans, I had some issues earlier. I have not tried final release as of writing this blog. Once I imported eclipse project with @ 5000+ files into netbeans and it was a piece of cake. But later while doing reverse engineering into UML model, it was out of memory.Arrrgh!!! That was worst part. But later when I doubled memory in startup configuration file, reverse engineering was succesful but again after that IDE was pretty slow. Overall, Netbeans has done an excellent job in improving their IDE. Good job NB team.
  25. 500$ for an IDE[ Go to top ]

some times companies decide which tool to use. and not all developers live in united states. in countries like india, 500$ is more than average monthly salary of a java developer.
  26. Re: Netbeans vs. Eclipse[ Go to top ]

Hello Michele I for myself use Eclipse too (as many others). But there are statements in your quote I can't agree. It is not that slow. The project definition is ant; you even can build your own project definition as long as you provide the goals for netbeans. What can be more powerful than this? And the GUI-Builder "Mantisse" in Netbeans is really the best free GUI builder I know on any platform. So I would say your statements are a good base for a flamewar. But as actually nobody disagree to this statements, for me this shows the biggest drawback of netbeans: The community is not as strong as it should be. Too sad. There are features in Netbeans I would like to see in Eclipse some days. And a strong competition would be helpful for this ;-). Cheers
  27. Re: Netbeans vs. Eclipse[ Go to top ]

Hello Michele

I for myself use Eclipse too (as many others).

But there are statements in your quote I can't agree. It is not that slow.
    I think NetBeans is slow for: navigating over your source files, compiling, launching application and deploy to AS. The UML plugin is too much slow and (vers.5.5beta2) has too many bugs
    The project definition is ant; you even can build your own project definition as long as you provide the goals for netbeans. What can be more powerful than this?
    I'd like to have the total control over the build process: did you try to see the ant scripts? and to modify it? Moreover I do not use ant, but Maven...

And the GUI-Builder "Mantisse" in Netbeans is really the best free GUI builder I know on any platform.
    I'd like to use Jbuilder for gui design, I dislike the "blue zones" over the java code; but... "de gustibus..."

So I would say your statements are a good base for a flamewar.
    No, I think no one here wants to make a "war" for an ide: an ide is simply a tool, everyone uses its own preferred one. I think the important is to discuss over the pros-contrs.
    But as actually nobody disagree to this statements, for me this shows the biggest drawback of netbeans: The community is not as strong as it should be.
    The leakness of the community is due to the quality of the tool: why the Idea-jbuilder-eclipse community is so big?

Too sad. There are features in Netbeans I would like to see in Eclipse some days. And a strong competition would be helpful for this ;-).

Cheers
    I agree that some netbeans plugins are much pretty, I used netbeans for 3 years, and then I passed to Eclipse ... and I noticed that some netbeans plugins should be implemented in Eclipse, but you cannot have everything from the life! bye bye!
  28. you just want to bash netbeans...[ Go to top ]

It seems like you just want to put down NetBeans, throwing all manner of IDE's at it. If you're going to throw in other IDE's, none of the products you've mentioned here (Eclipse, JDeveloper, JBuilder) is up to IntelliJ IDEA. ...but of course, this is all about NetBeans, and we're just spouting personal opinion. So let's just let the NetBeans dog have its day. :)
  29. Funny...PHP[ Go to top ]

Does anyone else find it funny that the Netbeans download site is a PHP page? I didn't see PHP support on the Netbeans feature list. The download is working for me...but it's slooowwww.
  30. Re: Funny...PHP[ Go to top ]

Does anyone else find it funny that the Netbeans download site is a PHP page?

I didn't see PHP support on the Netbeans feature list.

The download is working for me...but it's slooowwww.
    Yes, it seems strange. I don't know why SUN uses PHP for Netbeans site (imho it was really bad move). I wounder was it written on PHP Eclipse or not? ;-)
  31. Re: Funny...PHP[ Go to top ]

I should say that sun has some asp.net web site too. it has the asp.net web site for its technology preview of its Creator when i checked it.
  32. not working, nothing found[ Go to top ]

is it unreleased yet or what.. anotherquestion,can't sun provide much better network infrastructure for it's site(it is ahardware vendor eh..) another question,can somr of sun employee train a web dveloper to use the web pack to develop a decent site in jsp/jsf (or they can claim that this is impossible) SUN.... IF YOU CANNOT USE YOUR OWN TECHNOLOGY,NO ONE CAN USE IT OR TRUST IT... and this is a 1-2-3 bussiness
  33. WSIT[ Go to top ]

I've also been playing with the 5.5 beta and the RCs for some time and more precisely with the plugin for Secure Web Service generation. I may say it is quite impressive :) - only a few clicks away for example you can add security, secure conversation or use a security token services that interoperate with .NET for my brand new web services. So some extras are really great, but It wouldn't make me give up using eclipse. It's just too slow :-/.
  34. The problem is about plugins[ Go to top ]

I think all IDE's have something great that others don't, but the important thing in my opinion is the quality and velocity that each community adopt new technologies. In nb and eclipse I see that adoption depends on the community experience and size, and eclipse is bigger, and less vendor dependant that nb. I was nb5 user, and just the SVN plugin send me to eclipse!!
  35. I was nb5 user, and just the SVN plugin send me to eclipse!!
    What was wrong with Subversion plugin? How do you like free UML, BEPL, JSF/JSP editors in eclipse?
  36. If you are intrested, you can look for projects like omondo (UML2), exadel studio (JSF/JSP), and the eclipse projects for JSF, and BPEL, and many things. Some of those projects offer a free version and a professional version, and each one can just test if the free one is sufficient. Another important feature, I heard but don't remember where, is about a plugins standar between eclipse and nb. I think netbeans community has a great IDE, and congratulations!!!
  37. Re: The problem is about plugins[ Go to top ]

I was nb5 user, and just the SVN plugin send me to eclipse!!
    Give the new version another look. One of the enhancements in 5.5 is to make the subversion support work more like the improved CVS stuff in 5.0. See http://www.netbeans.org/kb/articles/subversion-preview.html
  38. Hi, I think the mayor drawback of nb is the lack of incremental debugging (it was at least in earlier versions), I think that's a great plus for Eclipse, and is something you can really gain time with. Cheers, Bo
  39. Viva Netbeans!!![ Go to top ]

I used to be a full time developer but these days I occasionally have to developer some lightweight application to allow someone to access a database or view some records in a database online. For me Netbeans and Java Studio Creator have been ideal tools. I have tried Eclipse several times but I honestly don't have the time to configure it. Not every tools is for everyone but I have been extremely happy with Netbeans and look forward to trying out the visual web design tools.
  40. I like NetBeans[ Go to top ]

I'm an old Macintosh guy - used to even work for Apple back a while - so I look for application software that matches my mental model of good Mac software. NetBeans does it for me. I've hardly ever had to read the manual. I just know how to click here, option-click there to make things work. I'm not a power IDE user, but I do use an IDE almost everyday to maintain my open source test utility. NB 5.0 gave me good integration with Ant, and a much improved CVS client. NB 5.5 seems to focus on the EJB stuff that I am not using. I have found NB 5.5 to be better at not making me wait to "scan resources" like previous versions. Overall, I'm impressed with NetBeans and expect to continue using it. -Frank Cohen http://www.pushtotest.com http://www.xquerynow.com
  41. NetBeans 5.5 is great[ Go to top ]

We use NB for our Java EE/Swing development and IDEA for Core Java development (other than swing). I've been using NetBeans 5.5 from the early betas and i must admit that i'm impressed. It helps me very much to code my persistance classes, ejb stuff and webservices. Not to forget the ever reliable Matisse. The latest subversion support is very good. I'm also a fan of Intellij IDEA. To be honest, NB editor is not upto the standard of IDEA or even eclipse. But editor enhancement will be the number one priority in NB 6.0. (One can already see the editor infrastructure in place in NB 6.0 milestone 4) NetBeans is setting the standards high for any open source ide. NetBeans is catching up with IDEA in some cases. But for most of my needs, NB is the best tool out there and i really love it. Java EE support is much better in NB than in eclipse or idea.