Discussions

News: Eclipse' 5th Birthday

1. Eclipse' 5th Birthday (18 messages)

It's been 5 years since Eclipse was released as an open source project, so it is time to celebrate this special occasion. If you feel like celebrating this occasion then you can go to one of the 29 birthday parties around the world. For a complete list of all the locations where the celebration party takes place, take a look here. If you can't go to one of the birthday parties, then you can sign the electronic birthday card to show your support for Eclipse. If you sign the card before December 1, you will also qualify yourself to win one of the 20 Eclipse sweaters. I've been using Eclipse ever since version 2.0.1 (which was released in August, 2002) and I have never switched to another IDE again. Before I started using Eclipse, I used JBuilder and before that JDeveloper. But ever since I used Eclipse I got hooked on the simple and yet beautiful interface. I do have to say that basic Eclipse lacks a lot of functionality that other IDE vendors do provide like JEE and Web Services support. But by using extra plug-ins like MyEclipse this can be easily overcome and in some cases provide more functionality that other IDE vendors don't provide (for example the wide support for different application servers). So what do the you think about Eclipse? What do you really like or dislike about Eclipse? What kind of features are you still missing that you for example have seen in other IDEs? The biggest feature I still miss at the moment is the lack of annotation support, especially the attributes of the annotation. (This feature is now present within Eclipse 3.3 M2 but I can't use this because MyEclipse support is not present yet.) Message was edited by: joeo@enigmastation.com

Threaded Messages (18)

2. Happy B'day Eclipse[ Go to top ]

I Love Eclipse. I have been using Eclipse for last 4 years now. I have been knows as "Eclipse Man" in my company. My Company was using JBuilder and now I have converted 60% of the developer into Eclipse. And this is the second company I have converted to Eclipse. :-) Its a nice and powerful IDE you can ever get in this open source world. I have more than 3 installations in my system including the latest build. Unfortunately I will miss the b'day part happening in Bangalore, I will be traveling to US that time.
  3. Re: Happy B'day Eclipse[ Go to top ]

Eclipse is just a great tool. Especially starting with 3.2 The only real rival would be in my opinion IntelliJ IDEA. I used to think IDEA has better text editor. But I just discovered new shortcuts in eclipse:) So, eclipse team, GOOD JOB! Keep up the good work
  4. Re: Eclipse' 5th Birthday[ Go to top ]

Hay, where can I sign the electronic birthday card ?
  5. Eclipse birthday site[ Go to top ]

http://birthday.eclipse.org/
  6. Re: Eclipse' 5th Birthday[ Go to top ]

I like eclipse as well, having used it in different tools from ibm, myeclipse, etc. It has good support for editing, refactoring, debugging etc, and best of all - its free. However, since most of my time is spent on JEE projects, I have to add that better support app server development would be very welcome in the basic IDE. Its been a while since I tried the WTP, but it didnt come anywhere close to WSAD/RAD and I dont expect it to do that now either. Sure, $50 buys me MyEclipse, but when youre used to WSAD it doesnt quit cut it either.
  7. Re: Eclipse' 5th Birthday[ Go to top ]

I agree that tools like WSAD and JDeveloper go alot further in JEE support, however what i've seen so far is that the support mostly only applies to their own application server(s). The company that i work for doesn't use one specified application server. so far i had to use Resin, JBoss, Oracle AS and IBM Websphere. And to switch to different tools everytime i'am using a different application server would just cost way to much. While using MyEclipse does help alot in the development it still doesn't support as much as the other IDE's have, i dont even think that thats their goal since alot of the functionality is just vendor specific. Since the beginning of this year we are working alot with Spring in combination with Hibernate, and if i take a look at the support for both frameworks i see that almost all of the IDE's have basic support. So for me switching to another IDE isn't that interesting anymore.
  8. Re: Eclipse' 5th Birthday[ Go to top ]

I agree that tools like WSAD and JDeveloper go alot further in JEE support, however what i've seen so far is that the support mostly only applies to their own application server(s). The company that i work for doesn't use one specified application server. so far i had to use Resin, JBoss, Oracle AS and IBM Websphere.
    Well, I´ve been using WSAD and RAD for development, doing most of the testing on WAS 5.1 and 6, and then deploying to shared servers for verifying against WebLogic and JBoss. I think this is a pretty standard approach for teams developing software that must run on all the major application servers. I have to admit that this is getting easier and easier though. A few years back there was some major gotchas in the standards compliance between the vendors, but not so anymore.
  9. Re: Eclipse' 5th Birthday[ Go to top ]

While using MyEclipse does help alot in the development it still doesn't support as much as the other IDE's have, i dont even think that thats their goal since alot of the functionality is just vendor specific.
    Robert; Thanks for starting this thread. We're very excited about how far Eclipse has come and where it is going. As for the above quote, I am a bit confused. MyEclipse goes out of its way to be agnostic in all of its features, and greatly opposes vendor lock-in. Can you tell me exactly which feature/function you were referring to when you made the above statement? In addition, have you utilized the Spring/Hibernate functionalities within MyEclipse? I would recommend you take a closer look at the merging of these technologies in MyEclipse 5.0, where they are integrated at a very high level allowing for maximum efficiency and flexibility. Very much beyond "basic" functionality and support. Thanks much! -Jens, MyEclipse
  10. Re: Eclipse' 5th Birthday[ Go to top ]

However, since most of my time is spent on JEE projects, I have to add that better support app server development would be very welcome in the basic IDE. Its been a while since I tried the WTP, but it didnt come anywhere close to WSAD/RAD and I dont expect it to do that now either.

Sure, $50 buys me MyEclipse, but when youre used to WSAD it doesnt quit cut it either.
    John, I believe you have answered your own question when it comes to app server development, though I am curious as to why you don't feel MyEclipse is "cutting it" for you. Can you provide more feedback on the issues you're having when comparing to WSAD/RAD? Thanks! -Jens, MyEclipse
  11. Reality check ...[ Go to top ]

Psttt ... IntelliJ ruled in the past, it still rules and it will stay ruling in the future ... but it is nice to have some competition. My 2 cents ... Don't get me started on MyEclipse, I think this is the most terrible thing I ever worked in, and yes I have used JBuilder, JDeveloper, WSAD, Netbeans ... IntelliJ Especially rocks when you need to do web development, if one is only concerned with writing backend stuff, I do agree that the price tag of IntelliJ does not offer enough advantages to be used instead of Eclipse.
  12. Re: Reality check ...[ Go to top ]

Psttt ... IntelliJ ruled in the past, it still rules and it will stay ruling in the future ... but it is nice to have some competition.

My 2 cents ... Don't get me started on MyEclipse, I think this is the most terrible thing I ever worked in, and yes I have used JBuilder, JDeveloper, WSAD, Netbeans ...

IntelliJ Especially rocks when you need to do web development, if one is only concerned with writing backend stuff, I do agree that the price tag of IntelliJ does not offer enough advantages to be used instead of Eclipse.
    Hi Maarten, I do agree that IntelliJ is indeed a very nice product, but as you would have to agree on, this product is not vendor specific, it is being developed with the same idea in mind as Eclipse and MyEclipse. Support for the mayor application server vendors and different frameworks is important. And in that way both products are build with a different idea then WSAD or JDeveloper.
  13. Since No one has given IBM credit, I would like to formally thank IBM for releasing Eclipse. And by the way. I started with WSAD and have since move to a company where we are using Eclipse.... I do miss the complete stack that WSAD has. But Since I am now mainly doing service development, the MyEclipse stack is okay.
  14. Since No one has given IBM credit, I would like to formally thank IBM for releasing Eclipse. And by the way.
    I started with WSAD and have since move to a company where we are using Eclipse.... I do miss the complete stack that WSAD has. But Since I am now mainly doing service development, the MyEclipse stack is okay.
    Robert; I agree that IBM had a unique vision for Eclipse. Of course, folks heralded Eclipse because it was free, but the real genius is in the opportunity it gave IBM and others to form the now-thriving ecosystem. In the same way that IBM standardized the motherboard in the 80's, Eclipse is well on the way to duplicating these successes for software and creating a standard for everyone to live up to. Thanks for using MyEclipse! -Jens, MyEclipse
  15. Re: Reality check ...[ Go to top ]

My 2 cents ... Don't get me started on MyEclipse, I think this is the most terrible thing I ever worked in, and yes I have used JBuilder, JDeveloper, WSAD, Netbeans ...
    Maarten; Could you elaborate on the issues you are having/have had with MyEclipse? We are always trying to improve the product, and constructive, specific criticism is valuable to us. However, we find it difficult to interpret these types of comments in a helpful way. Please explain, as you are obviously well-versed in various IDEs and their toolsets. Thanks! Regards, Jens, MyEclipse
  16. Happy BirthDay Eclipse[ Go to top ]

I realllyy enjoying using Eclipse. I have recently downloaded 3.2, don't know much about it. Over all i like Eclipse. Only i am unable to get JSP Debugger (plug-in) that is only the thing i feel bad I am reallly thank ful to Eclipse Developers.
  17. Happy BirthDay Eclipse[ Go to top ]

eclipse is not bad ,but i think some times it is much more complicated to build high-level project by using eclipse rather than jBuilder. But i like eclipse ,and absolutely i think eclipse will be better and better. eclipse虽然免费但是很多插件收费,而且如果想开发高级一点的东西,eclipse不如jbuilder功能强大。但是我还是很喜欢eclipse 祝愿eclipse越来越好
  18. Egypt Java User Group[ Go to top ]

We are seperating with Eclipse birthday in Egyptian Java User Group too http://www.egjug.org/eclipse_birthday Regards, Ahmed Hashim Egjug Leader http://www.egjug.org http://www.egjug.org/hashimblog/
  19. EMF slowing uptake of the MOF[ Go to top ]

While initiatives such as Eclipse are invaluable, it is a pity that IBM has used Eclipse in an attempt to gain control of the evolution of Java and other standards. SWT instead of Swing springs to mind as an obvious example of this. However, of more relevance to me, is the destructive role that the Eclipse Modeling Framework has played by fragmenting the community that might otherwise have been more directed at ensuring the uptake and success of the Object Management Group's Meta Object Facility.