Smith 1.0, free ColdFusion engine written in Java released

Discussions

News: Smith 1.0, free ColdFusion engine written in Java released

1. Smith is a freeware, cross-platform ColdFusion engine, written entirely in Java. Running on the top of a Java Runtime Environment and Java Servlet Container, it can be deployed on virtually any operating system and work with any web server. Smith represents an alternative to the existing ColdFusion servers. Smith is freeware software, which means that it comes with permission for anyone to use, copy, and distribute it. It is also seriously considered to make it an open-source project. Although the Java community is usually quite negative about ColdFusion and similar platforms, the fact is that there are still a great number of ColdFusion-based applications running and a lot of ColdFusion programmers still developing. Smith itself grew out from the effort to migrate a huge ColdFusion based CMS to Java. After the successful conversion, it was realized that it would be pity not to make this software available for other developers. That is the basic motivation for launching this project. Smith offers the following advantages:
    • good performances
    • lightweight (runs on Tomcat, Jetty and any other servlet container)
    • possibility to include JSPs from CFM
    • multiple CF-applications with separate configurations running on the same servlet container
    • easy deployment and maintenance
    • precise and user-friendly debugging output
    • no license costs
    • continual development and improvement

Threaded Messages (5)

2. Very limited[ Go to top ]

While more competition in the CFML market is a great thing, this engine won't run any of the popular frameworks as it is missing one of the most important features of CFML; CFCs!!! Think of saying you have developed a Java engine, but it doesn't support user defined classes! Not much point. So yes, if all an engine had to do was to support simple Tags and CFML functions, then of coure it would be fast.
  3. Re: Very limited[ Go to top ]

Alan, can you show us what a CFC is used for in CFML and why it's so important? There are those of us who've developed, errrm, large sites in CF before without using them. (Of course, this was a while back, so it was with an older version of CF, but still... if it worked back then, what's the compelling point of a CFC today?)
  4. CFC Quicky[ Go to top ]

It is a good question Joe, and to be completely honest with you there is nothing stopping you from writing a large site in CFML without using CFCs. Just like there is nothing stopping you from writing a large application using a procedural language; not everything needs objects. CFCs are objects in CFML. You can do lots of cool stuff with CFCs. One of the nice aspects with CFCs is their ability to be a SOAP endpoint straight out of the box without any extra work from the CFML developer. I am under selling CFCs here, but fundamentally, their objects, obeying all the rules of objects.
  5. Re: Very limited[ Go to top ]

is missing one of the most important features of CFML; CFCs
    Actually, I regard this as a Good Thing. CF is a champion for pounding out small sites quickly. I'd go as far to say that in that capacity probably nothing can beat it. I haven't seen anything that beats .... . CFCs tried to bring objects and OO to CF, and they've gone a long way to destroying the principal strength of the language - simplicity. Take a look at the CF community these days and most of what you'll find is intellectual masturbation. They're going down the same road Java went down recently. A proliferation of frameworks, to the point where they have numerous ORMs and even a Spring clone. You have to wonder if at any point these guys don't say, "Hmm, why don't we just use Java?"
  6. does it work on ubuntu/linux ?[ Go to top ]

maybe i will try it in weekend we try to replace some windows coldfusion sites with linux + coldfusion I don't want to pay adobe an dime ps: great/hated sites that are hosted on coldfusion : myspace so is still used around ... strange but true