Discussions

News: JEC 1.0, Java-Exchange Connector, released

1. JEC 1.0, Java-Exchange Connector, released (16 messages)

JEC 1.0, the "Java Exchange Connector," has been released. JEC, as its name implies, provides pure-Java access to a MS Exchange installation. The library is very simple, but provides access to Exchange addresses, contacts, emails, and events, which covers most of the functionality you'd want for such a library. There are still some limitations: for example, email attachments are not supported. However, it's still quite a start. What do you think of this direct approach? JavaMail provides a standard mechanism to access mail repositories, without standard Exchange support, but this library adds support for contacts and events, which can be nice. [Editor's Note, added after initial publication: this project does not have source code available, and has no clear licensing terms. In addition, the bytecode is obfuscated for much of the library, so it's not possible to validate that the library is "safe." Please be very careful before using this library; perhaps the author will address peoples' concerns.]

Threaded Messages (16)

2. Open source or commercial?[ Go to top ]

Is this an open source library or a commercial library?
  3. Re: Open source or commercial?[ Go to top ]

Not sure. The download has no mention of a license, nor does the site as far as I've been able to tell.
  4. Re: Open source or commercial?[ Go to top ]

Not sure. The download has no mention of a license, nor does the site as far as I've been able to tell.
    Seems very unlikelly that they would go though the trouble of obfuscating an open source library, so my guess is that it is not open source.
  5. How do you know it is safe to use this product? - first release - unknown publisher - dummy URL - no source code available - obfuscated byte code - direct access to your address book (GOLD for spammers) I do not have a comfortable feeling... Regards, Rob.
  6. Not safe at all[ Go to top ]

This article should be taken down immediately until such time as it is verified as a real project AND is hosted on a legitimate site (sourceforge, java.net, apache incubator, codehaus, somewhere reliable!!).
  7. Re: Not safe at all[ Go to top ]

This article should be taken down immediately until such time as it is verified as a real project AND is hosted on a legitimate site (sourceforge, java.net, apache incubator, codehaus, somewhere reliable!!).
    I don't know that it's NOT a "real project." I ran a simple set of analysis over the project and nothing stands out as being "dangerous" - that doesn't mean it's NOT dangerous and one should definitely use care before downloading or using until more data is available.
  8. Re: Not safe at all[ Go to top ]

Joseph, suppose the following scenario: some code in the library reads your address book and posts the email addresses to some URL/IP address. Your analysis would not have discovered this, I guess.
  9. Re: Not safe at all[ Go to top ]

Joseph,
    suppose the following scenario:
    some code in the library reads your address book and posts the email addresses to some URL/IP address.
    Your analysis would not have discovered this, I guess.
    That's quite possible. I'm not saying that I've verified that it's "safe code." I looked for a string that would look like a URL or an IP address (or an email address) to look for simple violations. I saw only one email address in the text - a sample email address used to validate that contacts could be modified - and no urls, and nothing that looked like a url fragment. That doesn't mean anything, of course. A smart coder could build a dotted quad out of bytes, and construct the url by concatenating single characters. I just don't know if it's "unsafe" code just because I don't know that it's "safe" code. Caveat emptor applies.
  10. Re: Not safe at all[ Go to top ]

Information PC Tools Spyware Doctor has prevented you from accessing a site suspected of containing harmful content. There is no need to be alarmed, as Spyware Doctor has prevented you from accessing this site.
    No, thanks.
  11. Re: Not safe at all[ Go to top ]

There is no need to be alarmed, as Spyware Doctor has prevented you from accessing this site.
    Do you *know* that Spyware Doctor is to be trusted ? All doctors I have dealings with have to have qualifications :-)
  12. Re: Not safe at all[ Go to top ]

Hi All, sorry for my delayed response, First regarding the license, we currently not sure how to license it, but I guess that if we'll decide to go commercial, it will be relatively low price (around few hundreds). for now its free. regarding the safetinace of usage, its not a spy-ware (I know it because I wrote it) but u can check yourself by putting a sniffer and call all api requests, and see that all transportation is legitimate (with the exchange server). regarding the usage with j2me, well its possible but not directly on the device jvm (since its using external liberties like Apache client and Jakarta slide). but u can use a mediator server, like tomcat run JEC on it and use simple http protocol bet teen the j2me client and the tomcat. Eli Hasson
  13. Can this be used with J2ME?[ Go to top ]

If the author ever puts any contact information on the site or responds to this thread, I'd like to know if the library would work with J2ME?
  14. Re: Can this be used with J2ME?[ Go to top ]

If the author ever puts any contact information on the site or responds to this thread, I'd like to know if the library would work with J2ME?
    Sadly, not likely. The interfaces use ArrayList, for example. However, this doesn't mean that a future version might not be ported to J2ME, I suppose, especially if the source is made available.
  15. Re: Can this be used with J2ME?[ Go to top ]

regarding the usage with j2me, well its possible but not directly on the device jvm (since its using external liberties like Apache client and Jakarta slide). but u can use a mediator server, like tomcat run JEC on it and use simple http protocol bet teen the j2me client and the tomcat. Eli
  16. new JEC version[ Go to top ]

Hi All, JEC version 1.03_09 released. the version contain lots bug fixes and some new features, highlights: search capability, improved authentication, redirect support and more. for more information and download please visit: http://www.javaexchangeconnector.com/ Eli
  17. Java Exchange Bridge[ Go to top ]

Hi, You can also use j-XChange (http://sourceforge.net/projects/j-xchange/). It is an Open source and Pure Java implementation of CDO 1.21 library. It is powered by OSS j-Interop (www.j-interop.org). best regards, Vikram