JBuilder 2007 - redesigned around Eclipse - released

Discussions

News: JBuilder 2007 - redesigned around Eclipse - released

1. Borland has released JBuilder 2007, redesigned around Eclipse. JBuilder 2007 includes OptimizeIt for code profiling, Team Insight for integration with various collaboration and CI tools, LiveSource for UML modeling of Java projects, and Visual EJB, for GUI design of EJB modules. JBuilder supports Java EE, depending on specific application server support. Project Assist is also a new feature which allows a development team to immediately support various source control, defect tracking, and requirements management packages without a lengthy integration process. This package builds support directly into Eclipse. Since JBuilder is built as a set of Eclipse plugins, developers can use any other Eclipse plugins along with JBuilder.

Threaded Messages (31)

2. Hi Is it avaiable for evaluation, i looked at the borland webiste and i saw no download package for Jbuilder 2007. It should be something interesting to look at great Jbuilder back in java development land.
  3. They have trial versions available and a free version as well. http://www.borland.com/downloads/download_jbuilder.html Don't see the value in a pre-packaged Eclipse. I'm happy with my Netbeans!
  4. That is not download link for 2007 edition, it looks like that they will provide download-able verison.
  5. Yea, yeah, yeahhhh[ Go to top ]

Installed the trial version on dual-core computer, with 2GB RAM, worked quite well, didn't have time to try all features ... but after that I've did the mistake to install on another machine, P4 2.8GHx, 1 GB RAM, and I couldn't even type in the Java editor ... this "big action" causes my CPU to jump in 100% and wait about 20-sec until un char is "typed" ... and it cost you 2000$ .. no thanks, my eclipse 3.2 is fast and free ... It's a pitty because Borland's OptimizeIt is a very good tool, and would be a good ideea if they break if from JBuilder, make it small and quick, and of course cheep, and can sell it for 50$ to million developer around the world ... Have fun with Eclipse, or JBuilder 2006, 'cause 2007 sucks ! Sorinel Cristescu, Software Developer, Toronto, Canada.
  6. This is not a JBuilder[ Go to top ]

I tried that suxx called JBuilder 2007. I was really disappointed as a great fanatic of JBuilder. Truly saying that have nothing to deal with JBuilder except of the name. Just 1000 of stupid plugins, quite unusable. JB 2005 was much better. So currenly there is no good IDE. Eclipse is not functional environment from the scratch. Plugins are too buggy. NetBeans is developing quite fast, but can not reach all functionality of Eclipse platform. Besides SUN wants you to use their "great" application server glassfish, which I hate.
  7. I really can't help asking Borland why did they do that? There was something that separeted JBuilder from any of all the other IDEs. It was intuitive, easy to use, it has a coherent UI, it was reliable, fast.. Yes I know it cost a lot of many, but you know 3K is not really that much for companies that develop big-scale software. I mean if you wanted to develop a Hello World program (which is one of the few things you can program in NetBeans 5.5 without having your PC collapsing), yes it would be overpriced, but for enterprise applications it was worth it. But now, Borland has taken all the things that we didn't like about Eclispe, which is plug ins inconsitence, UI inconsistence, low of cohesion between the different plugins, and put it on sale on 3K, now that's overpriced. I really hope Borland will realize that the old JBuilder 2006 are frustrated and be wise to change back to their previous Java IDE framework, even if it makes look the original change as a big mistake (which it was).
  8. I even didn't want to give a trial. Cheng Guangnan CAPXOUS AutoComplete
  9. Long ago borland was pioneer in IDE market maybe they have something to sell after all. giving a try will in a Sunday afternoon sounds good for me.
  10. Borland and IDE[ Go to top ]

Am i misinformed that Borland decided quite a while aga to pull out of the IDE market all together?
  11. Re: Borland and IDE[ Go to top ]

They tried to get out of the IDE business, but apparently no one stepped up with a decent offer to buy it. They have branched their IDE business into a company called CodeGear.
  12. Re: Borland and IDE[ Go to top ]

In my opinion. All of the IDE business tools are tied to the Borland brand. Why they want us to change our mind for that. So you have to say JBuilder 2007 from CodeGear. Very hard to understand. I think the Borland business is far from our needs as it once was. They changed course of concerns and tried to do several times. Remember Inprise for the whole Borland brand. They now tried to sell IDE business but could not because no one would risk to manage the IDE spirit as they do so they repackaged the business with another brand, and I wonder, is it sane or insane? Time will tell. With so much competition what CodeGear will do. Besides the Turbo offerings they are good but for .NET they are back Microsoft, not ahead, and they will never be. Perhaps I am wrong but it is my opinion.
  13. Re: Borland and IDE[ Go to top ]

They tried to get out of the IDE business, but apparently no one stepped up with a decent offer to buy it. They have branched their IDE business into a company called CodeGear.
    I see. Thanks. Well, looking at their price tag (more than 3000 bucks for an IDE!?), it probably makes a lot of sense that nobody wants to buy it. I was a JBuilder user up to JBuilder 10 (X). Gave up since it doesn't even compare with what NetBeans/Eclipse has to offer. As a developer, if I had to pay money for an IDE (not that I ever would), I'd pick the 250-buck IntelliJ over JBuilder any given day of the week....
  14. Released? Where can we get it? I don't see anything released yet... it's just marketing without bits at the moment.
  15. Roman, rest assured. Borland can not take a any share of netbeans IDE unless they reveal something really really good. they do not have any bit available for evaluation yet. by their FAQ, i think the bits will be available in 2006, so we should wait some times before we saw the bits.
  16. Roman, rest assured. Borland can not take a any share of netbeans IDE unless they reveal something really really good.
    As if someone actually wanted a share of NutBean users...
  17. From http://bdn.borland.com/article/33830 "English language versions will be available later this quarter, with localized versions in German, Japanese and French to become available in Q1 2007."
  18. R.I.P[ Go to top ]

Sorry guyz but I think Borland is dead... Come on, 3k for an IDE heavly based on Eclipse, ouch! And that is just sad because I used to love their products, like the old c++ builder... Sandro Fadiga.
  19. Re: R.I.P[ Go to top ]

depends on the strength of their marketing dept. There are always managers that buy talk. So i guess i will see jbuilder in the near future again some time. It will probably be so stuffed with crap that it will run as slow as it used to.
  20. 3k for Eclipse[ Go to top ]

um...Rational Application Developer
  21. Re: R.I.P - pretty sad...[ Go to top ]

Guys, I am very sad Borland DEV tools are dying. I cannot forget my first days of programming, when everybody was learning algorithms using Borland Turbo Pascal and Borland C++. These were GREAT IDEs. It's so sad they died. Cause I think no tool can beat today's Eclipse/NetBeans/IntelliJ offering, most of which is FREE. And indeed, Borland products are too expensive, especially for the day-to-day developer
  22. Jbuilder 2007 is too slow....[ Go to top ]

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE----- Hash: SHA1 Jbuilder2007 is too slow for me to take a try. -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE----- Version: PGP Desktop 9.0.5 - Enterprise license Comment: PGP中国:www.pgp.org.cn iQA/AwUBRWP/SE2j31FcBpdPEQLrvQCg/gXBmBGBSgaNSw99gcwXATYCrXoAn2Xj 0SNSwhzRWJK7CzgdU83YhdNv =pk5m -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
  23. Check out the full story at http://bdn.borland.com/article/33830
  24. R.I.P.?[ Go to top ]

Borland tools are expensive (...)
    Have you tried free Turbos? -> Turbo Delphi for Win32 -> Turbo Delphi for .NET -> Turbo C#Builder -> Turbo C++Builder? Is free expensive? There are also turbo pro versions for less then $400...
  25. JBuilder May Make Eclipse Useful[ Go to top ]

I've been developing with JBuilder for the last 6 years and nobody can compete with the business component and web application modeling capabilities they bring to the table. I have tried NetBeans and IntelliJ, both great IDE's, but not for enterprise development. JBuilder has always offered a FREE foundation version of JBuilder suitable for anyone not doing J2EE development. Eclipse is an empty shell, ok for basic development tasks but third parties need to add the functionality to make it useful. IBM has done it with Rational Software Architect, and I'm sure that CodeGear will not disappoint us with JBuilder 2007. I can't wait to try it!
  26. JBuilder forever!!![ Go to top ]

Absolutely agree. JBuilder (up tp 2005 version) was really the best IDE with all features initially availiable. This was the only IDE with great support for Swing/Spring/JSP/Struts/EJB/++. As for the Eclipse, which I currently use... It is pretty good now, but a lot of issues could be better. Latest releases are quite stable. Debugging in Eclipse is terribly designed. NetBeans, IntelliJ - sux.. Looking forward to JBuilder 2007! Come back, we need you :)
  27. Re: JBuilder forever!!![ Go to top ]

Absolutely agree.
    JBuilder (up tp 2005 version) was really the best IDE with all features initially availiable.
    This was the only IDE with great support for Swing/Spring/JSP/Struts/EJB/++.

As for the Eclipse, which I currently use... It is pretty good now, but a lot of issues could be better. Latest releases are quite stable. Debugging in Eclipse is terribly designed.

NetBeans, IntelliJ - sux..

Looking forward to JBuilder 2007! Come back, we need you :)
    I went from JBuilder 3 Enterprise to IBM WSAD and never looked back. I´ll take a look at 2007, but I have little hope that it will convert me back.
  28. Re: JBuilder forever!!![ Go to top ]

I went from JBuilder 3 Enterprise to IBM WSAD and never looked back. I´ll take a look at 2007, but I have little hope that it will convert me back.
    WSAD5 was built on Eclipse 2.x while JBuilder 2007 is built on Eclipse 3.x which is much better than Eclipse 2.x. If you had been pissed off by RAD6 (the successor of WSAD5, also based on Eclipse 3.x), you would start to appreciate JBuilder again (or non-Eclipse based JDeveloper or NetBean).
  29. Free JBuilder for J2EE[ Go to top ]

«JBuilder has always offered a FREE foundation version of JBuilder suitable for anyone not doing J2EE development.» I thought the enterprise version was the one with all the enterprise J2EE features? Surely the foundation version isn't sufficient for serious J2EE development? Oracle JDeveloper has a zip price tag and all the enterprice features are still included.
  30. Re: Free JBuilder for J2EE[ Go to top ]

«JBuilder has always offered a FREE foundation version of JBuilder suitable for anyone not doing J2EE development.»

I thought the enterprise version was the one with all the enterprise J2EE features? Surely the foundation version isn't sufficient for serious J2EE development?

Oracle JDeveloper has a zip price tag and all the enterprice features are still included.
    «Surely the foundation version isn't sufficient for serious J2EE development?» It isn't. That's why, in the original post, I had said it was suitable for anyone not doing J2EE development.
  31. =@:-p Ouch[ Go to top ]

«Surely the foundation version isn't sufficient for serious J2EE development?»

It isn't. That's why, in the original post, I had said it was suitable for anyone not doing J2EE development.
    ... I read it backwards. Sorry about that. Still my point is valid, JDeveloper *has* all the J2EE-features and a zip price tag. It's not Eclipse based, though ... I've used it a lot to develop targeting JBoss. It is better integrated with the included oc4j ofcourse, but that part isn't free. As I understand the licence you can't develop serious apps using some of the included components, like oc4j, but you can use all wizards, editors, modelling tools etc. and produce production code without paying for it. Please correct me if I'm wrong, as a programmer I don't have the competence fully comprehend most normal licence agreements ;-)
  32. Eclipse WebTools 1.5.2[ Go to top ]

Most developers in my company are using IBM Websphere Studio 5.1.2. Recently, we started a pilot project where the developers are using Eclipse WebTools 1.5.2 WebTools isn't perfect but it is much faster than WSAD 5.1.2 Is JBuilder 2007 built on top of WebTools?