Tech Talk: Joe Keller on JBI

Discussions

News: Tech Talk: Joe Keller on JBI

1. Tech Talk: Joe Keller on JBI (9 messages)

According to Joe Keller, Sun's acquisition of SeeBeyond was a "technology marriage made in heaven." In this tech talk, recorded at JavaOne 2006, Keller describes Sun's Java System Composite Application Platform Suite and explains how the product has expanded with technology from the acquisition for building out an ESB. Topics include:
    • How JBI factors into SOA and ESB
    • Handling security effectively in an ESB
    • How SOA affects performance
    • Management facilities in the CAPS suite
    • Choosing between a grid or an ESB
    • BPEL's relevance to the average developer
    What do you think of Sun's Java System Composite Application Platform Suite, and its new support for building out an ESB?

Threaded Messages (9)

2. Misnomer[ Go to top ]

This has nothing to do with JBI, I would like to hear Mr. Keller on where his group sees JBI going, but unless I dozed off and missed something, there was nothing I heard about JBI. Joe, as VP of Marketing, would you not want to do some positioning for this vital specification in the build-out of your ESB platform, or is Sun ready to support SCA? douglas dooley
  3. Re: Misnomer[ Go to top ]

Please not SCA ;-). In theory sounds great, in practice, I'm not quite convinced.
  4. Re: Misnomer[ Go to top ]

Please not SCA ;-). In theory sounds great, in practice, I'm not quite convinced.
    The OSOA lists over 30 companies that are partners or supporters of SCA and SDO, including Sun Microsystems. ESBs are a transitionary technology - better than SOAP stacks, of course, but still based on messaging - but SCA and SDO are the future.
  5. Re: Misnomer[ Go to top ]

Future, that is exactly what I am talking about. SCA has been around in concept for a few years now, and where is it really implemented if not on a proprietary vended stack? (I know, there will be full fledged "standards" compliant implementations on apache ;-). However, I will be convinced when it is more widely _used_. Maybe I'm wrong here, quite likely, but the more complicated something gets, the more you try to push what is traditionally done through conversations into a standardization layer that is complex, the more you relegate those standards into sandboxes that are basically toys for governance bodies to justify spending millions of dollars on a stack that is standards compliant. ESB a transitionary technology? Not likely. It is more the concepts and enablement that could make other standards possible. ESB by itself isn't a secret sauce anyway. I would just caution the standards bandwagon count as a metric of whether or not something is really useful. What would be interesting I think is a poll of developers who use SCA and SDO in production now and to track that (direct developers, meaning not employees of vendors who supply an implementation ;-).
  6. Re: Misnomer[ Go to top ]

This has nothing to do with JBI, I would like to hear Mr. Keller on where his group sees JBI going, but unless I dozed off and missed something, there was nothing I heard about JBI.
    You're right, there hasn't been a word on JBI. The talk is about SOA. Should have been named "Joe Keller on SOA".
    Joe, as VP of Marketing, would you not want to do some positioning for this vital specification in the build-out of your ESB platform, or is Sun ready to support SCA?

douglas dooley
    I'm not from Sun marketing, but JBI is a very important technology for Sun. You can easily see this when you look at the efforts that are put into OpenESB (plus the corresponding modules in NetBeans and Glassfish). Sun is working with the SCA group, but there are no official plans so far (AFAIK). Armin Wallrab, Sun Microsystems
  7. It was great for SUN to take over SeeBeyond. I hear SUN is working on an open source SeeBeyond, actually called JCAPS now, version 6, with NetBeans providing IDE support - very exciting. However, this talk does not clarify anything about JCAPS current and future states. I want to explore JCAPS for a public health project, but it seems you have to belong to some secret society, privileged to access information. Is there a process or procedure to become a JCAPS "need to know" member?
  8. I am looking for JCAPS related documents and information. but i did not find anything. by reading sun soa web pages i find that they had some planes to release JCAPS in 2006, but i did not find anything more.
  9. I am looking for JCAPS related documents and information.
    but i did not find anything.
    by reading sun soa web pages i find that they had some planes to release JCAPS in 2006, but i did not find anything more.
    http://developers.sun.com/prodtech/javacaps/
  10. I hear SUN is working on an open source SeeBeyond, actually called JCAPS now, version 6, with NetBeans providing IDE support - very exciting.
    The BPEL engine as part of the OpenESB project is already open sourced (in parts). You can give it a try by testing the enterprise pack to NetBeans 5.5. There are also some nice tutorials and a few blogs (try http://blogs.sun.com/gopalan/). The development environment of the current version (JCAPS 5.1.2) is based on the NB plattform already. According to Sun's strategy I expect that JBI capabilities will be added and more of the stuff will go open source.
    However, this talk does not clarify anything about JCAPS current and future states.

I want to explore JCAPS for a public health project, but it seems you have to belong to some secret society, privileged to access information.

Is there a process or procedure to become a JCAPS "need to know" member?
    That is not the intention ;) If you drop me a mail at armin.wallrab@sun.com_remove_this I can check where you can gather more information for your project. Armin Wallrab, Sun Microsystems