JConsole

Discussions

General J2EE: JConsole

1. JConsole (4 messages)

I am trying to run jconsole on a shared hosting evirnonment. The shared server has JDK 1.5 installed. I use SSH to connect to the web server, then is the jconsole command at the following location > /usr/local/dh/java/bin ---------------------------------------------------------- Here is the error, i get > [powerbar]$ ./jconsole Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.awt.HeadlessException: No X11 DISPLAY variable was set, but this program performed an operation which requires it. at java.awt.GraphicsEnvironment.checkHeadless (GraphicsEnvironment.java:159) at java.awt.Window.(Window.java:310) at java.awt.Frame.(Frame.java:419) at javax.swing.JFrame.(JFrame.java:194) at sun.tools.jconsole.JConsole.(JConsole.java:65) at sun.tools.jconsole.JConsole$4.run(JConsole.java:666) at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(InvocationEvent.java:209) at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent (EventQueue.java:461) at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:234) at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:163) at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:157) at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:149) at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java :110) ---------------------------------------------------- Please, can anybody advice what i am doing wrong? Thanks

Threaded Messages (4)

2. Re: JConsole[ Go to top ]

No X11 DISPLAY variable was set, but this program performed an operation which requires it.
    http://tldp.org/HOWTO/XDMCP-HOWTO/ssh.html
  3. Re: JConsole[ Go to top ]

Thanks for the response Sohail. I tried to enables x11 forwarding on my ssh client and it still didn't work. I have just discovered after alot of misinformation from the hosting provider that they do not enable x11 forwarding on shared servers. It is possible (HOW TO) to use Jconsole on my local machine to monitor java applications running on a shared server for which X11 forwarding has been disabled? JDK 1.5 is installed on the shared server.
  4. Re: JConsole[ Go to top ]

You got to set your DISPLAY env variable. e.g. export DISPLAY=mymachine:0.0 HTH chetan www.mojopoint.com/blog
  5. Re: JConsole[ Go to top ]

You got to set your DISPLAY env variable.
    e.g. export DISPLAY=mymachine:0.0

HTH
    chetan
    www.mojopoint.com/blog
    you mean on my ssh client? (x11 forwarding is disabled on the server)