Google Web Toolkit Goes Fully Open Source

Discussions

News: Google Web Toolkit Goes Fully Open Source

1. Google Web Toolkit Goes Fully Open Source (4 messages)

The Google Web Toolkit team announced today that the project is now fully open source under an Apache 2.0 license. I wasn't kidding when I said that we would periodically revisit the question of open-sourcing Google Web Toolkit. The team has announced today that the project is now fully open source under an Apache 2.0 license. The new 1.3 RC has no new features since 1.2, but the team is taking this open source thing seriously by vowing to discuss and develop in full public view. In addition to simple directions for compiling the source yourself, the updated site includes the often-requested development roadmap as well. How does Google Web Toolkit being open source affect you? Did you care either way? And do you think you will participate on the contributors forum?
  2. For me, it's a great news ! I love GWT and we are using for our clients projects... I was still a bit scared about the licence... With a closed source software, I can secure my client because, what would happend if google stopped the project ? With open source, I can guarantee the investissment is safe for years and we could maintain it no matter what happend.
  3. Good for them! Well done.
  4. Why Apache License? Why not GPL or LGPL?[ Go to top ]

Isn't it easier to have incompatible derived works? Is everyone, including Google, allowed to create a derived but closed-source work, if I contributed something to it?
  5. Isn't it easier to have incompatible derived works?

Is everyone, including Google, allowed to create a derived but closed-source work, if I contributed something to it?
    Different Open Source 'philosophies' exist. Obviously both, (L)GPL and Apache work but for different user groups.