JTrac 2.0 released - open source issue tracker

Discussions

News: JTrac 2.0 released - open source issue tracker

1. JTrac 2.0 released - open source issue tracker (9 messages)

JTrac 2.0 final has been released. This version includes numerous improvements and also features multi-language support. JTrac has already been translated into German, French, Italian, Polish and Dutch. JTrac is an open-source issue tracker designed to be generic but allowing you to extensively customize fields, workflow, role capabilities, and more. JTrac is built using Spring, Spring WebFlow, Acegi and Hibernate.
  2. It looks like an interesting software. I think that now the most needed thing would be to improve the web design. Anyway, congratulations, good work! Joserra
  3. Thanks Jose. Yes, the UI design can definitely be improved. This is probably a consequence of me trying to reduce the amount of HTML rendered in a page (but without sacrificing usability). Try JTrac and you may find it pretty fast :) JTrac needs some more look-and-feel work before it can really be appealing at first-glance, I don't particularly like going down that path, but I guess it *has* to be done. In fact this version has some AJAX. I cringe when I say that because it sounds like something just to make JTrac more enticing :) But honestly only two pages use AJAX, and where it really really makes sense. Peter. http://jtrac.info
  4. clean UI[ Go to top ]

Even though the UI could be made fancier. I have to say it looks very clean. Think about the other products in this space... Bugzilla is no beauty queen. The UI looks clean and functional. I would focus on making the common workflow obvious, (which you mostly have) and forget prettying it up. Good Job - Matt
  5. Do not know about others but for me to consider an issue tracker seriously it should do everything that JIRA does and improve on that. So, how does JTrack stack up against JIRA?
  6. I'll be honest, JTrac has some way to go before it can threaten JIRA :) But let me attempt a few shameless plugs: 1) Free 2) Open Source 3) Innovative approach to workflow 4) Extremely easy for you to set-up your development environment. Really. 5) If you like the Spring Framework, you will like JTrac. It uses Spring MVC, Spring WebFlow and Acegi. Lastly, do have a look at the road-map. It is quite ambitious, but we like to set the bar high: http://jtrac.info/doc/html/roadmap.html
  7. 1) Free 2) Open Source Is quite a big difference when I select a product. I have to say that Bugzilla is doing quite well for my needs. The feature I would like to see in a product, in order to move to it, is the ability of having more than one issue type with different lifecycles each. Like Requirements with a workflow and bugs with another. Linkable. I had that experience with ClearCase and I have to admit that it was the best managed project I've ever been envolved. (we had Reqs, Bugs, Tags and Deploys as issues with their WFs. Awesome.) I didn't find that in the documentation. Did I missed it?
  8. ability of having more than one issue type with different lifecycles each. Like Requirements with a workflow and bugs with another.
    IMHO the Custom Workflow part of the documentation covers this.
    Linkable.
    Yes you can link items to each other in JTrac, even across different projects. So you could maintain different projects for Bugs, Reqs etc. and get what you are asking for. I am not saying that JTrac is perfect so do feel free to let me know what could be improved, documentation or otherwise.
  9. Very nice piece of work! I´m about to start a new project and I´m seriously considering Jtrac as our issue tracker. The GUI is really clean as you´ve mentioned but I still think a redesign would be very welcome!
  10. 3) Innovative approach to workflow
    Funny, but your innovative approach (transition matrix with integrated roles) VERY like old (2004) TrackStudio releases. Just check this old docs page: http://www.trackstudio.com/documentation/30/html/Transitions.html I see some common things and some common mistakes in our products: - you tring to minimize number of web pages, this will lead to more complex, not more simple UI. Less mouse clicks doesn't always means simpler UI. - integration of comment with state change, assignment, employee time tracking is a powerful concept, but it's difficult to understand for many users. We also use Hibernate, and supply standalone version with Jetty and HSQLDB :-) I've seen your roadmap: http://jtrac.info/doc/html/roadmap.html I suggest you pay attention to the UI first, not the features. Current TrackStudio version already have almost everything from your roadmap (field-level permissions, nested items, beanshell-based custom validation, custom sheduled jobs integrated with email notification, submit by e-mail, screenshot capture, HTML editor (instead of wiki), SVN integration using JavaSVN, RSS feeds, very flexible CSV import, SSO, SOAP API and time tracking). I am sure, that just "free" or "open source" TrackStudio replacement is a bad marketing position. -- Maxim Kramarenko http://www.trackstudio.com - issue tracking system