Discussions

Web tier: servlets, JSP, Web frameworks: Best practices for collecting user activity stats in web app

1. Good day, respected community I use in my project struts and tiles (weblogic 8.1). Now I have to implement a system for counting user activities in form "the web page was shown | date" or something like the example How you think - What is the best place for implementing such logic - ActionMapping class? TilesViewHandler? Filter? maybe there is best practice for such tasks?

Threaded Messages (6)

2. If you use container managed security, the access log works just fine. Otherwise, a servlet filter is pretty straightforward and simple.
  3. more precise[ Go to top ]

It's just for marketing reasons, not for security goals, so container managed security is not needed
  4. Use Third Party tools[ Go to top ]

U can also use third party tools for this, which will solve ur purpose better. one such tool is clicktracks.com, further u can also compare cost n effort u will invest in doing this stuff on ur own or it wud be better to use third party tools. -Thnx
  5. free web access log analyzer[ Go to top ]

Something that we use here in DSI is Quest Software's Funnel Web Analyzer. We basically point it at the access log (in our case the Apache access log) and you get lovely beautified statistics and graphs perfect for marketing audiences. It's free, so go ahead and see if it can do what you need it to do. http://www.quest.com/funnel_web_analyzer/ Rgds, Jay
  6. Use filter wisely[ Go to top ]

I would go with filter if correctly implemented otherwise go for third party. If you don't use filter wisely than it will be huge overhead and expensive interms of response time, resource usage etc. Simple example, url mapping for filter: 1) /* 2) *.jsp the first one will kill your server and the other one will do less or no damage. If you are using database for storing data, try to implement caching information or add them in batch then hit database with bulk information not one hit per page viewed. You can guess what are the problems otherwise. regards, Jawed Ali
  7. Use filter wisely[ Go to top ]

I would go with filter if correctly implemented otherwise go for third party. If you don't use filter wisely than it will be huge overhead and expensive interms of response time, resource usage etc. Simple example, url mapping for filter: 1) /* 2) *.jsp the first one will kill your server and the other one will do less or no damage. If you are using database for storing data, try to implement caching information or add them in batch then hit database with bulk information not one hit per page viewed. You can guess what are the problems otherwise. regards, Jawed Ali