WebGalileo Faces 3.0, JSF component lib, has been released

Discussions

News: WebGalileo Faces 3.0, JSF component lib, has been released

1. JSCAPE and SoftAspects have announced the release of WebGalileo Faces 3.0. WebGalileo Faces 3.0 is a suite of Ajax-enabled Java Server Faces (JSF) components for streamlined development of Rich Internet Applications. Using WebGalileo Faces components, developers can create web based applications in a fraction of the time required and with fewer errors. This time savings allows developers to deploy applications much faster and focus more of their efforts on the business logic of the application versus the technical details of writing software. WebGalileo Faces 3.0 includes several new components including those for creating graphs, flow charts and maps using Google Maps. WebGalileo Faces supports a wide range of IDEs, with built-in support for Sun Java Studio Creator, IBM Rational Application Developer, Oracle JDeveloper and Eclipse IDE. Other features and enhancements include:
    • Facelets support
    • Drag-and-drop and AJAX support in JSR168 compatible portlets using WebGalileo Faces plug-in mechanism
    • New AJAX-enabled Charts component including dynamic behavior
    • New AJAX-enabled FlowChart component
    • New mapping component based on Google Maps
    • Flexible styling and skinning support
    • Drag-and-drop support in the Table component (column resize, column move, row move)
    • Drag-and-drop support in the Tree component (move items inside tree, between trees, between other components and tree)
    • Sorting, editing support in the TreeTable
    • Operation progress tracking in the Upload component
    • 12 AJAX-enabled sophisticated components:
      • TabbedPanel
      • Toolbar
      • Tree
      • Table
      • TreeTable
      • Container
      • PanelBar
      • FlexMenu
      • DualList
      • ProgressBar
      • Charts
      • FlowCharts
    The demonstration site shows the features of various components. The date components allows selection of weeks, date ranges, and localization features (although no calendar other than Gregorian is shown). The HTML editor is written with an applet, and works fairly well, with all of the features one would expect from an HTML editor (styles, WYSIWYG, undo support, copy/paste, and raw HTML editing); the calculator component is basic but functional. The TreeTable component makes embedding a master-detail relationship in a table very easy to implement, including in-table editing. The "Dual List" component allows items to be moved between two or three lists. WebGalileo Faces 3.0 is a commercial suite. A single-user license is $499 USD, a site license is $999 USD, and an enterprise license is $1499 USD (see JSCAPE's license detail page for information on what each license provides specifically; there are no extra features in the higher-priced licenses, but the licenses provide for more flexible development and deployment options.)

Threaded Messages (13)

2. Impressive[ Go to top ]

Very nice, demo is very impressive. Seems even more responsive than ICEFaces, which is great too. If Sun had some spare millions lying around they should just buy out a quality suite like this and offer it as part of the JSF RI, as an out-of-the-box answer to .Net's Atlas.
  3. Re: Impressive[ Go to top ]

Iam able to log in to the demo but if i press search it takes a long time to paint the screen, till then i see a blank screen only . Is this a performance issue with JSF component?
  4. Nice demo and components. Yet I find these to be very sluggish... Is it just me ? Or the Slashdot effect ?
  5. "slashdot effect"[ Go to top ]

yes, the slashdot effect of a two user load
  6. Re: "slashdot effect"[ Go to top ]

tree table did not work in FF - I got some js errors and some servlet stack trace.....
  7. Re: "slashdot effect"[ Go to top ]

That is the known issue with FF ealier than 2.x. WebGalileo Faces guy. Regards.
  8. Re: "slashdot effect"[ Go to top ]

That is the known issue with FF ealier than 2.x.

WebGalileo Faces guy.
    Regards.
    Nice, and the topic says "WebGalileo Faces 3.0, JSF component lib, has been released". What am i looking wrong here ?.
  9. looks nice but...[ Go to top ]

The suite looks very nice but I wonder why I would buy something that is also not open source having ICEfaces or ajax4jsf. Generally I try to avoid the use of not open source libraries.
  10. Re: looks nice but...[ Go to top ]

The suite looks very nice but I wonder why I would buy something that is also not open source having ICEfaces or ajax4jsf.
    Generally I try to avoid the use of not open source libraries.
    I agreed with ya. I used their product in my previous project prior to other commercial products became open source such as ICEfaces. It is a nice product, BUT if i need to use JSF again I will definite go for the free JSF library. I think there is an option the get the source with WebGalileo but it is $$$$$$.
  11. Is this for real?[ Go to top ]

I apologize for not being impressed. It feels rather unprofessional and unpolished. And slow. The page comes with 200kb of compressed javascript, 700kb uncompressed. Is this really needed? Don't people care for bandwidth (and client processing speed) anymore? Look at the menu tree on the left side. First. It's an IFRAME. What year do we have? What's the point of having "component" framework, if you use iframes for things like this? And that's not the only iframe on page. Plus simple menu tree is actually almost 150kb of generated javascript.
  12. Re: Is this for real?[ Go to top ]

My thoughts too: slow, slow... with unnecessary callbacks to server (dual list), double click for table sorting?... The premise of every good web UI is speed. Then come usability and features, which are irrelevant if UI is sluggish. See Google. Btw. the only JSF component suite that made impression to me is RCFaces (after ADF faces which were revolutionary but are practically dead now).
  13. Re: Is this for real?[ Go to top ]

My thoughts too: slow, slow... with unnecessary callbacks to server (dual list), double click for table sorting?...

The premise of every good web UI is speed. Then come usability and features, which are irrelevant if UI is sluggish. See Google.

Btw. the only JSF component suite that made impression to me is RCFaces (after ADF faces which were revolutionary but are practically dead now).
    Why do you think ADF is dead. Besides that there are more than those options, RCFaces, IceFaces, Tomahawk, ADF, Trinidad, Tobago, WebGalileo just to name a few, I am sure there are a lot more than those.
  14. Re: Is this for real?[ Go to top ]

There are so many... it is hard to keep track. I took a look at RCFaces based on your recommendation and it does look pretty good.... Thanks