Discussions

Industry news: J2EE dev's with EJB in high demand

1. J2EE dev's with EJB in high demand (1 messages)

I'm working with a few clients in the Seattle area who are hurting for J2EE devs right now at all levels. The market's tight for software candidates all around out here, but if you're thinking of making a move things look good right now. I have a client in the mobile technology space here as well as a large online retailer (wonder who that could be!), in addition to some smaller local firms and a very interesting start-up. The start-up is more in the market for .NET talent at the moment. Most will relo and transfer H1B's, but it depends on the job, level, etc. If you're a J2EE guru with EJB and all the usual condiments, safe to say the red carpet will be rolled out for you. lynn@allen-partners.com http://www.allen-partners.com (Feel free to call me directly via our Seattle office line.)
  2. You know, one thing I'm curious about is whether it will become a two tier system for EJB pre 3.0 and EJB post 3.0. Remote/home/local interfaces and deployment descriptors versus annotations. As a somewhat newbie to Java and J2EE, learning EJB pre-3.0 isn't a high priority right now. Obviously, it would be pertinent to have some awareness of it careerwise, but with Spring, Hibernate, JPA and so on, it looks like there are plenty of more straightforward and less insane technologies to learn and work with. I'm also curious about comparisons of .net adoption vs Java now that .Net 3.0 is out with WPF and so on. We are currently trying to decide between .net and java for an in-house web application and as a decision maker, I'm kind of interested in picking one which is going to lead to a good career path. One key benefit for choosing .net is the ability to have a career on the desktop in the future. Also, coming from a Delphi background, I'm sure I'll have more chance of finding work with .net and delphi, than with java and Delphi. Also to note, locally, in North East Ohio at the last User Group meeting some recruiters were there talking about how they can't find decent Java guys. Comparitively, I have heard (and this is purely and utterly annecdotal (I think I read that on the gotdotnet forums)) that someone in a .net user group recommended they learn java instead if they wanted a job. Anyways, my Spring and JSF books are on the way as my Xmas pressies so too late now. Gavins Java Persistence with Hibernate was too late to print to be an Xmas Gift to myself.