Discussions

News: Cluster this! Confluence 2.3 "Massive"

1. Cluster this! Confluence 2.3 "Massive" (14 messages)

Atlassian Confluence 2.3 offers users an optional clustered configuration, Confluence Massive, that provides unlimited scalability, together with exceptional performance and reliability, for large deployments of the wiki. In addition, Confluence 2.3 contains dozens of other new features and improvements, including a People Directory, which allows users to easily find other Confluence users' profiles and personal spaces; an activity-tracking plugin that generates statistics on application usage; and a WebDAV client plugin. Release notes and a free evaluation download are available.

Threaded Messages (14)

2. "unlimited scalability"[ Go to top ]

"Unlimited scalability" is one of those phrases that should just never be used. Looks like a nifty release, though.
  3. Congratulations![ Go to top ]

Hi Mike & team, Congratulations on the release! It's great to see the announcement. :-) Peace, Cameron Purdy Tangosol Coherence: Clustered Cache for Java
  4. Re: Congratulations![ Go to top ]

Hi Mike & team,

Congratulations on the release! It's great to see the announcement. :-)

Peace,

Cameron Purdy
    Tangosol Coherence: Clustered Cache for Java
    No confluence post goes without a Cameron reply:-) I know, I must reply too. Great piece of software and only improving. Ilya
  5. Re: Congratulations![ Go to top ]

Agreed, a great piece of software! The adoption rate at my workplace is going *much* faster than I had ever anticipated.
  6. Congrats, we've been waiting for this release. Don't be confused by the above features... "Activity tracking does not work in a cluster, and will be disabled for clustered deployments. We're working on making the activity tracker clusterable in a future release."
  7. where's the hosted option?[ Go to top ]

Who cares about installing this product? Installing is so 2004. I want a hosted option for $50/month.
  8. Re: where's the hosted option?[ Go to top ]

Who cares about installing this product? Installing is so 2004. I want a hosted option for $50/month.
    If you'd realize that the install is about 1.5 minutes max, you'd forget about the hosted option.
  9. Re: where's the hosted option?[ Go to top ]

If you'd realize that the install is about 1.5 minutes max, you'd forget about the hosted option.
    And much time do think it takes to make an automated backup of your data in the DRP Site? Hosted option is a solution to share infrastructure costs and expertise. We're doing this internally, ie offering a hosted wiki solution (confluence), so that people don't have to do it over and over again. But then maybe you don't care about backing your data with redundant servers? a++ Cédric
  10. Re: where's the hosted option?[ Go to top ]

And much time do think it takes to make an automated backup of your data in the DRP Site?

Hosted option is a solution to share infrastructure costs and expertise. We're doing this internally, ie offering a hosted wiki solution (confluence), so that people don't have to do it over and over again.

But then maybe you don't care about backing your data with redundant servers?

a++ Cédric
    Most organizations already have a standardized internal backup proceedure, so it wouldn't be a huge issue with backing this data up. The other problem, goes back to companies wanting to run this behind their firewall for various reasons. One being that wikis today's contain a lot of intellectual property, though one would have diffuculties having hosted solution provider to safeguard it for them. Of course you'd argue otherwise, since it's your slice of the business. Ilya
  11. Re: where's the hosted option?[ Go to top ]

http://confluence.atlassian.com/x/nnsC
  12. Phil - I'd actually argue that _thinking_ installing is so 2004... is so 2006. SaaS is a big change in software delivery, no doubt, but remember it still only accounts for a very small portion of that delivery. For an enterprise wiki, most people want a behind the firewall piece of software. We do have a number of partners who can host Confluence for you (see the link above) and we're exploring our own hosted services (in all manners) at the moment. If you're really keen, I suggest you email Michael Knighten (mknighten at atlassian.com). Cheers, Mike
  13. re: hosting[ Go to top ]

"Phil - I'd actually argue that _thinking_ installing is so 2004... is so 2006. SaaS is a big change in software delivery, no doubt, but remember it still only accounts for a very small portion of that delivery." The "behind the firewall" mentality is fading. Look at salesforce.com. Is there anything more sacred to a company than sales contacts? Yet they have $450m in revs and a $4.5b market cap. NetSuite is going public this year and expected to have a 1b+ market cap. Oracle/SAP have SaaS products now. Even Microsoft is moving to SaaS with its Live products. And that "small portion of that delivery" is growing by leaps and bounds. Do you really think most people are going to be installing wiki software in 5 years? http://www.syntelinc.com/syntelligence/index.aspx?id=545 "By 2010, Gartner predicts that 30 percent of new software will be delivered via the SAAS model." And do you think it's going to stop there? You missed out on our company because we would have had to get VP level approval for a 2K license. A monthly subscription charge can be expensed by people lower than VP. Plus I don't like to hassle with setup, backups, getting a machine, making sure it's up all the time, etc. I want to *USE* a product not be an SA. You guys have a great product, unfortunately you don't have the right model yet.
  14. Re: re: hosting[ Go to top ]

You missed out on our company because we would have had to get VP level approval for a 2K license. A monthly subscription charge can be expensed by people lower than VP.

Plus I don't like to hassle with setup, backups, getting a machine, making sure it's up all the time, etc. I want to *USE* a product not be an SA.

You guys have a great product, unfortunately you don't have the right model yet.
    That is exactly how we use Confluence, and we have existing licenses that we could have hosted internally ourselves (for "free")!!! We host ours through Contegix, and they provide the licensing, installation, backup, monitoring, upgrades, etc. for a monthly fee. Peace, Cameron Purdy Tangosol Coherence: Clustered Caching for Java and .NET
  15. re: hosting[ Go to top ]

Thanks for your comment Cameron. I wasn't aware of this option.... seems awfully pricey though. But at least it's available.