TIBCO sponsors DWR

Discussions

News: TIBCO sponsors DWR

1. TIBCO sponsors DWR (8 messages)

TIBCO has announced that they have become a sponsor of Joe Walker's popular DWR library, used to provide an AJAX endpoint to server-side Java classes. They expect to use DWR in their General Interface product, as well as extending DWR to become a JBI service engine. DWR is expected to help popularize TIBCO GI with an easier service model. It's welcome news, as Mr. Walker mentioned at the 2006 JavaOne that sponsorship of DWR would be welcomed in providing an active future. On the DWR page announcing the sponsorship, he also mentioned that it was likely DWR would become even more interoperable with other AJAX kits (mentioning Dojo specifically). TIBCO GI is available under a free Professional license, and an Enterprise license that provides indemnity, support, and code warranties.

Threaded Messages (8)

2. Good for DWR.[ Go to top ]

Hopefully TIBCO wont pollute DWR the way it is doing with GI. I still prefer to use DWR along with toolkits like DOJO to build my AJAX apps instead of dealing with complex GI xml config files and hard to use WYSIWYG UI. To see how it easy to create pure AJAX app with Java and without GI check this blog: http://www.tsolak.com/?p=17
  3. GI/DWR with Java[ Go to top ]

Dojo is great for creating ajax'd pages like the .jsp sample you refernce. GI is more for creating Ajax RIAs with the functionality of desktop-style GUI components. Just as java has jsp for HTML pages, applets for embedding more-software-like-things, and Swing for full GUIs, you see the same kind of thing in the specturm of Ajax libraries. We here at GI think dojo is great too. We're not trying to solve the how-to-enrich-a-html-page problem that dojo is tackling well. We're more after the how-do-you-create-and-deploy-rich-GUI-software-apps-to-the-browser that communicate with services (as opposed to ehance a web page). (GI is more like a Swing GUI, than .jsps with DHTML/JS I guess is my point). FWIW--Here's a video of how to even use Dojo's Rich Text Editor and offline storage capabilites along side GI's more than 100 Ajax components and visual tools... http://www2.sys-con.com/webinararchive.cfm?registered=on&pid=wc_aw6_d1_s12_t1_birdeau Joe's also put forth a great idea of creating java classes that can generate the GI javascript stuff. So you could use java on the server to tap the roubust capabilities of GI on the client. Essentially remoting the client-side objects from the server whereas DWR's typically seen as remoting server-side java objects from the client. It's certainly an interesting idea.
  4. Re: GI/DWR with Java[ Go to top ]

Thats general opinion about DOJO. But once you start using its excellent support for custom packages and widgets you quickly realize that you can do pretty anything you could achieve with Swing. The link to the sample project blog shows how to write DOJO client for Java without any use of JSPs at all. Take a look at this DOJO app (thought not complete gives the idea of what DOJO can do): DOJO APP
  5. Re: GI/DWR with Java[ Go to top ]

Thats general opinion about DOJO. But once you start using its excellent support for custom packages and widgets you quickly realize that you can do pretty anything you could achieve with Swing. The link to the sample project blog shows how to write DOJO client for Java without any use of JSPs at all.

Take a look at this DOJO app (thought not complete gives the idea of what DOJO can do):

DOJO APP
    I really hope that this is not what DOJO can do? This app is non-functional in Safari nor Firefox.
  6. Re: GI/DWR with Java[ Go to top ]

It does work on different versions of Firefox and IE installs. If it looks like frozen wait for a little bit more since it is not optimized yet and is caching most of the DOJO Javascript libraries (~5mb).
  7. Re: GI/DWR with Java[ Go to top ]

It does work on different versions of Firefox and IE installs.
    If it looks like frozen wait for a little bit more since it is not optimized yet and is caching most of the DOJO Javascript libraries (~5mb).
    Hmm, I think that Java Web Start application looks more appealing ....
  8. Re: GI/DWR with Java[ Go to top ]

Thats general opinion about DOJO. But once you start using its excellent support for custom packages and widgets you quickly realize that you can do pretty anything you could achieve with Swing. The link to the sample project blog shows how to write DOJO client for Java without any use of JSPs at all.

Take a look at this DOJO app (thought not complete gives the idea of what DOJO can do):

DOJO APP

I really hope that this is not what DOJO can do? This app is non-functional in Safari nor Firefox.
    +1
  9. GI is lacking documentation.....[ Go to top ]

this is the real problem of the GI,it give u good doc on using the WYSIWYG editor(builder)but none on how to achieve the same result by hand,also no documentation of the OO system it implement for js and how thw the rendering to page take place and also no doc on how to build custom component or extend existing one or customise the model,even the doc tool is not available with the distro please if there is such info ,it 'll b nice to let me know