Java as a Second Class Citizen

Discussions

Blogs: Java as a Second Class Citizen

1. Java as a Second Class Citizen (1 messages)

In his blog John O’Conner is asking Apple to give him a reason to continue using Mac OS X as his primary Java development platform. The reason he asks is that although you can download Java 6.0 build 105 for Windows, Solaris, and Linux from Sun, Apple is stuck at build 88. John just recently acquired a MacBook Pro and while he is enjoying the overall user experience, he is not so happy that he isn’t able to work with the latest Java technology.
    For me, the question of consumer interest for Java apps on OS X is unimportant. I'm a Java developer, and I use a laptop or desktop computer to do my work ... Curiosity about the OS X platform aside, if I don't have this particular application (a current JDK), I really don't have a good reason to have this MacBook Pro.
    Reading into comments recently made by Steve Jobs shortly after the iPhone announcement, John is questing Apple’s commitment to maintaining Java on their equipment. I would seem as if he’s not alone. Many have raised questions with Sun regarding the availability of a current JDK for OS X. Daniel Steinberg wrote an opinion piece for O’Reilly onJava regarding Apple's commitment to Java. In that piece he ends with;
    Finally, I wonder if Steve Jobs has decided that Java has no place on OS X on the iPhone, what will its role be in the future on Mac OS X on the Mac?
    While Daniel’s message is that if Sun wants a JDK on Mac OS X, it should to the work instead of forcing Apple to do it for them. However in John’s responses to comments in his blog paint a different picture.
    I for one would prefer a "native" VM from the platform vendor itself, than say a third-party like Sun or IBM or BEA. It'll most certainly be better integrated with the internals,
    At the end of the day, if Java is to run on OS X, someone has to put the technology there and if Apple is unwilling, who then?
  2. Re: Java as a Second Class Citizen[ Go to top ]

I had a conversation with a very senior person in Apple's developer tools group about this. It has always been stange that Microsoft saw Java as a major challange but Apple never saw Java as a major opportunity- espeically to break into enterprise application development. But it seems that Apple like to have tight control over the entire product offering and tools are just to stategic to leave to Java. Also, custom tools for the Apple environment produce better Apple applications than a generic Java application. Data Access Objects and Service Data Objects