Processing a large file record by record

Discussions

General J2EE: Processing a large file record by record

1. Processing a large file record by record (2 messages)

I have a requirement where I need to sync records from a remote system into the system we are developing. These records to be synced are typically sent at the end of the day in a flat file. I need to do the following once the file is received: - Process one record at a time - Record success / failure (and error message) for the record that was processed - At the end create an output report correlating with the input file that was received I am looking for a reliable mechanism to do the above (should handle cases like a server crash while processing). This looks like a typical integration scenario and wanted to know if any open source software you are aware of can handle this. Thanks, Nanda
  2. I have a requirement where I need to sync records from a remote system into the system we are developing. These records to be synced are typically sent at the end of the day in a flat file. I need to do the following once the file is received:
    - Process one record at a time
    - Record success / failure (and error message) for the record that was processed
    - At the end create an output report correlating with the input file that was received

I am looking for a reliable mechanism to do the above (should handle cases like a server crash while processing). This looks like a typical integration scenario and wanted to know if any open source software you are aware of can handle this.

Thanks,
    Nanda
    if these documents are important, you should send them to a JMS queue, then have some code listening on the queue then process them 1 at a time..if an error happens send the 'problem' message(text file serilized in it) to an error queue. using JMS makes it %100 to with stand server crashes.
  3. Well All I will suggest is if any record fails put it into another file in same location so that next batch would pick it up. There is no open source API for this. Atleast I haven't seen one so far. If you want your code more organized than look into commons digester.