Discussions

News: Moderation issues on TSS... what's going on?

1. Moderation issues on TSS... what's going on? (23 messages)

I apologize for the purely editorial newspost, but I think it's worth mentioning. TSS doesn't have its normal editor lately, because of a family emergency; bear with us while we get our bearings! It's very difficult for me to do what I normally do on TSS.com right now, for a number of reasons. One, of course, is the emergency I mentioned - if you're interested, my father has terminal and rapidly progressing cancer and I'm trying to take care of him to give my mother some rest. The other is logistical. I'm stuck on a modem! It's enlightening to remember what it's like to not have any bandwidth - it puts quite a spin on new technologies like AJAX, JSF, etc. They're hungry for bandwidth, and using applications that rely on some of the new, fancy technologies is quite an experience and an exercise in patience. It's been quite a while since I appreciated TSS' textarea inputs, but I do now. It makes me wonder whether there's a viable way to render sites differently based on detected bandwidth. I know BrowserHawk can do some of this... but it's so devastating in bandwidth for me that I'm pretty sure there's another way. Having no bandwidth stretches beyond the "web experience," though. My responsibilities on TSS require scanning what I think is a pretty impressive array of feeds and news sources... many, many megabytes in size on a daily basis. On a modem... it's simply impossible. As much as it pains me, I'm simpy unable to accomplish my regular editorial duties from a technical perspective from where I am. Therefore, we have the rest of the editorial team plus a few volunteers (for whom I am eminently grateful) taking over for me until I return. Please bear with us; this situation won't last long, and I'll be doing what I can to help them and you. In the meantime, please be proactive in posting news you think is interesting! After all, this is your site, and every time users post things, I learn more about what the community wants to read about. Thank you for your patience.

Threaded Messages (23)

2. Hello, Could you please answer why Scriptella ETL announcement was rejected on the February 14th? I even have written a letter to you, but no answer. So I want to thank DZone/Javalobby/InfoQ community for their support of my project, but not the TSS which used to be my favorite enterprise Java site, at least 2 years ago ;) Fyodor Kupolov
  3. Joseph, I'm sorry to hear about your father and I wish you and your family all the best during this difficult time. I know how hard it can be since I went throught the same thing last summer. I hope everything will go peacefully.
  4. Sorry for my previous post which may seem impolite. A minute before your post I received a stupid question posted to the TSS main page
    inserting binary data(images,music etc.) into MS Access using js
    , and when I come to the main page I saw your message about moderation issues, I have quickly viewed the post and missed the real reason, sorry again. Nevertheless I do not understand why silly JS questions are posted to the main page and the open source Java project announcement is rejected...
  5. "Nevertheless I do not understand why silly JS questions are posted to the main page and the open source Java project announcement is rejected" Stop being an ass. Nobody OWES you anything.
  6. Sorry...[ Go to top ]

Joseph, all our thoughts are for you and your family. Keep on doing well.
  7. Nobody OWES you anything.
    I didn't asked anybody to do anything mr. pAssX. I was just curious about the strange moderation policy...
  8. Sorry for my previous post which may seem impolite. A minute before your post I received a stupid question posted to the TSS main page

inserting binary data(images,music etc.) into MS Access using js

, and when I come to the main page I saw your message about moderation issues, I have quickly viewed the post and missed the real reason, sorry again.

Nevertheless I do not understand why silly JS questions are posted to the main page and the open source Java project announcement is rejected...
    I really think you need to take a step back and look at your postings from a human perspective. Your first post was rather insensitive and then you follow up with the above. To me at least, it seems just as insensitive as your previous posting if not worse because you apparently apologize for your original blunder and then carry on where you left off! My advice would be to at least post no more on this thread but preferably post with a simple apology and then post no more on this thread. To Joe: Sad to hear your news, I wish you and your family nothing but the best in these most trying of circumstances. Dan.
  9. I really think you need to take a step back and look at your postings from a human perspective. Your first post was rather insensitive and then you follow up with the above. To me at least, it seems just as insensitive as your previous posting if not worse because you apparently apologize for your original blunder and then carry on where you left off!

My advice would be to at least post no more on this thread but preferably post with a simple apology and then post no more on this thread.
    +1 .... jeez don't you get the impression that people seem to forget that behind the HTML page is a human being? Electronic communication seems to skew human perception somewhat ... Joe, as others have said, our thoughts are with you and your familly. We can wait: work is secondary to familly life and I think we all understand that. Regards, C├ędric
  10. Why not Scriptella?[ Go to top ]

Well, why not Scriptella? Quite honestly, Mr. Kupolov, my intent has been and was to post it on the front page. However, when I saw it, I was already in transit to my father, and as a result, I saw it too late. I've discussed it with the other editors, and it's a subject I felt was worthy of exposure. This has nothing to do with your asking or emailing or even pointing out the idea here - I'd already made the decision. I just haven't been able to do much to put it into action.
  11. Take care Joe and all our thoughts are for your family. Do what's best for them.
  12. NOTHING is more important than what you are currently focused on. I applaud your efforts to keep up with work during this time, but I know that few people would blame you if you let the sire go to pot for a few days.

Take care of your family. All the rest of this stuff, no matter how momentus to the owners of the headlines, is just fluff by comparison.

I look forward to having you back full time and pray comfort on your loved ones.
  13. +1 !!! Take care for the most important - your familiy. Since we went through the same last year, it is more than understandable that anything else has to stand back. All the best for you and your familiy!
  14. Take all the time you need to care about real life's issues. Please allow me to disagree on low bandwidth and Ajax argument. Last week our corporate mail server was flooded with spam mail, about 750,000 emails per hour using up all the badwidth. The best transfer rate achievable in intermittent bursts was about 200 bytes/second which is far less than normal dialup data rate. Everything stopped but GMail. I had to wait for several minutes for initial GMail Javascript to load, but after it was done the mail updates were being done with very small asynchronous requests without downloading a whole page. I was able to open up emails and read them. I had to wait for several minutes for a single email to open, but eventually it opened up. Gmail's Ajax engine turned out to be quite robust. Therefore Ajax can actually save bandwidth and deliver better robustness if used properly. In regards to dialup, just open up multiple windows. While new windows are loaded up, you can read and reply on emails opened in other windows.
  15. Please allow me to disagree on low bandwidth and Ajax argument. Last week our corporate mail server was flooded with spam mail, about 750,000 emails per hour using up all the bandwidth. The best transfer rate achievable in intermittent bursts was about 200 bytes/second which is far less than normal dialup data rate. Everything stopped but GMail. I had to wait for several minutes for initial GMail Javascript to load, but after it was done the mail updates were being done with very small asynchronous requests without downloading a whole page. I was able to open up emails and read them. I had to wait for several minutes for a single email to open, but eventually it opened up. Gmail's Ajax engine turned out to be quite robust. Therefore Ajax can actually save bandwidth and deliver better robustness if used properly.
    Well, it's hard to argue that. I should have said "some applications," not "applications." I can certainly see where AJAX and component technologies have the potential to not be negatively affected by low bandwidth - but it's still worth consideration of how to make that happen. I know my initial forays into AJAX-enabled development were not very efficient - they were fun to watch, but not very efficient! (Same for web services, actually. Thankfully, I learn quickly.) I'd be interested in a "best practices" product for all of these issues, though, and I do still think that it'd be an interesting project to create a website that was entirely appropriate for browsers regardless of bandwidth - with high bandwidth users getting the "turbo-powered" features and the low bandwidth users getting functionality over form.
  16. Hi Joseph. Take care of your Father and other real life issue before anything else.No one would blame you for putting your time for your father. I wish you and your family the best.
  17. I wish you strength[ Go to top ]

I wish you and your relatives strength in these difficult times. I hope you can be of great help to your mother and father. Please do not hesitate to invoke community for help if help is needed. Best regards and good luck, Edmon
  18. Joseph, i wish you all the strength needed to get through. I think it is good that you try to keep up with your editorial tasks but your family is more important.
  19. Totally agree with Edmon. Important things in life come first. And if you need help, we all are here. Good luck, Daniel.
  20. I wish you all the strength you need Joseph to take care of your family and the other issues that have made your life lately more troublesome than it should be. This needs your attention, and it's very admirable of you to still try to keep up with even slightest bit of work. My thoughts are with you! Geert
  21. Re: I wish you all the strength you need[ Go to top ]

Absolutely, Joseph! My thoughts and hopes are with you! It's admirable of you to even lament it, and it says a lot about how much you must like us for you to even bother! Amazing. :-) Best wishes to you and yours!
  22. Ok, Joseph, first things first. Your family demands more attention than us, and then yourself also needs to focus on what you are living right now, that is part of life and hurts. The last item in the list is the modem, so you can forget about it. It is amazing all this editorial thing is on your shoulders. I think you may demand help from others. I guess we all can help sending you best wishes, strength. So, please, take your time. We will be waiting here, hoping all goes well. William Martinez.
  23. Having experienced the terminal illness of my father just over a year ago, my advice is that nothing should matter more now than family, and you should not worry about anything else.
  24. We're all with you Joseph[ Go to top ]

Just take your time, nothings more important than family, do what you need to. We'll wait patiently for your return. We all wish you and your family lots of courage, please let them know that there are probably over half a million (currently 574074) members thinking of you. Kirk, I hope you weren't doing anything, it looks like you need to take over for some time... All the best Joseph, !!!!!!!! -John-